Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Discuss the July 2015 book of the month, The Wicked Wives: A Novel Based on a True Story by Gus Pelagatti.
Atai sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Atai sarah »

This book sounds amazing, Housewives to murder the husbands because of the insurance money?àaàaa it was too absurd.
sanjeev maurya
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Quantitative Research Made Easy by Claude Phiri

Post by sanjeev maurya »

This sounds like an incredibly captivating and well-developed story! The complex motives of the characters and the historical backdrop of 1930s Philadelphia add an intriguing layer to the narrative. The twist at the end must be quite shocking, and it's interesting to hear about the author's personal connection to the story. Thank you for sharing such a detailed review. I'm definitely adding this book to my reading list and can't wait to dive into this riveting tale!
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by grace ruhara »

For the first time I am happy that Gus's mother gossips have bore to this wonderful and interesting book that readers will definitely enjoy as they read it.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Today's fictionalized true story offers readers an opportunity to relive a series of greed-driven murders orchestrated by multiple wives and their accomplice against their husbands in the 1930s.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

bookowlie wrote: 28 Apr 2015, 22:20
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for the review. This is interesting to me because of the events on which it is based. But historical fiction is tricky and difficult to write. Sounds like this one is more of a hit than a miss.
Thanks! I agree that historical fiction is tricky to write. Then you add in the task of writing fiction based on true events. Frankly, I thought the author hit it out of the park in so many areas - plot, character development, historical accuracy of the era, and a surprising twist or two. This is one of those books that really stayed with me days after finishing it.

-- 28 Apr 2015, 23:25 --

Thanks Gali and Kuartalia for the kind words. It's one of the best books I've read in the past year.
Yeah you're right
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Sky Revews »

Pelagatti manages a complex scenario of the story with many discussions revolving around the concept of loyalty and betrayal, the gray area between what is right and wrong, and finding out where they truly stand on viewpoints on morality and the total sacrifice of oneself for love.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.

Arthur Conan Doyle

The book revolves around a series of murders in Philadelphia, where several housewives collaborate with a tailor to kill their husbands for insurance money, drawing the attention of the DA's office. The narrative delves into the backstories of each woman, revealing their motives and entanglements with the tailor, against a vividly described 1930s Philadelphia setting. Despite a rapid initial pace and a major, albeit somewhat unrealistic, twist towards the end, the book maintains engagement through well-developed characters and intricate plot.
Ni_weh_sesh62
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Wicked Wives” by Gus Pelagatti is a historical non-fiction story based on a true story where a bunch of housewives conspire with Giorgio DiSipio, a local tailor, in the 1930s to murder their husbands for the insurance money. Giorgio takes a cut of the proceeds and he is having affairs with some of the women. The 1st ADA Tom Rossi, was shocked when he began his investigation into deaths of married men in Philadelphia and found more murders than he could have imagined. This is an interesting book that has numerous twists and turns and requires one to read the entire book to find out what happens. A huge twist occurs near the end of the story. Since it is based on a true story I would suspect the wives, Giorgio and the hit man are all convicted and go to prison. In addition, since the murders would negate the insurance payouts because one cannot kill another to collect the insurance benefits. Good review and a book to add to my to-read shelf.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for providing such a detailed and insightful review of "The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti. Your analysis of the characters, pacing, and setting really highlights the strengths of the novel. It's interesting to see how the author weaves together the various backstories and motives of the women involved in the crimes. Your comment about the title choice is also thought-provoking—it's true that a different title might attract a broader audience to this gripping historical fiction tale.
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: Alice In Dreamland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Tejas Koli »

Wow, "The Wicked Wives" sounds like a captivating read! The storyline, filled with mystery, intrigue, and shocking twists, has definitely piqued my interest. I'll be adding this book to my reading list right away! Thanks for sharing such an enticing recommendation! 📚 Congrats on BOTD!!
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

Congratulations on the BOTD. A great book with a great plot based on true events that happened in the late 1930s. The story includes mystery, suspense, thriller, and crime. The review has provided insight into the book. An intriguing content.
CHANTAL EWING
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantal-ewing.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by CHANTAL EWING »

‪The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti is a dramatic, fictional version of a real case from the 1930s, a story involving seventeen women who yield to a lover's instructions to purchase life insurance policies for their husbands and then kill them to cash in on the policies.‬
sidra iqbal 1
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Bookshelf Size: 30
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by sidra iqbal 1 »

:doh: :doh: Great story within a second I'm numb to read that the wicked women killed their husband in sake of insurance of money that like suspicious. :doh:
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti is a lovely historical fiction novel. I liked that the characters were well developed and their backgrounds were described in detail.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

The title of the book, "The Wicked Wives," immediately caught my attention and compelled me to read the review. I must say, I'm not disappointed. The review is exceptionally well-written.

The plot is intriguing, and the fact that the novel is based on true incidents from the past makes it all the more compelling.

Return to “"The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti”