Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Discuss the July 2015 book of the month, The Wicked Wives: A Novel Based on a True Story by Gus Pelagatti.
Edmonkibet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Edmonkibet »

The 'Wicked wives',...Not my normal type of book - but it was fun, entertaining and enjoyable!! One gets to get a quick view into the life of the rich and glamorous - where everyone is more concerned about their diamond-platinum Chanel bracelet watch or De Beers diamond encrusted platinum wedding bands versus the importance of an actual relationship. It certainly does showcase how the 'other' half of the world lives.
With that being said its an entangling of a weave where everyone seems to be extensively interested in this one guy - - yet nobody knows anybody else holds that position - - so the further along we go in the story, the tighter the weave of the web.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This is one intriguing story, especially given that it is based on real events! I would love to read this book.
Congratulations, BOTD.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

This fiction is based on the real story that happened in Philadelphia in the 1930s; some wives were involved in the murder of their husbands for the insurance money. This well-written book interests me. Thank you for this nice review!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Simon Evans
Currently Reading: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Simon Evans »

havillah108 wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 15:14 I can't imagine anyone murdering their own husbands for insurance money. It's inhumane, selfish and beyond wicked. The lack of conscience on the wives' part is shocking. I'm sure this book would make a great movie. This is a well-written review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
No one would imagine such, but it is true, the review stated,
''The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti is a historical fiction novel based on a true story that took place in the late 1930's.''
:?: :!: :drool: :techie-studyingbrown: :) :D :shhh:
Simon Evans
Currently Reading: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Simon Evans »

A bunch of Philadelphia housewives individually conspire with a local tailor, Giorgio DiSipio, to murder their husbands for the insurance money. Of course, the tailor takes a cut of the money.
This story is an enlightenment to awakens us individually to be watchful. A lot of bad stuff is still taken place in this modern era, even the modern wives are not ready to make things right, its better to stay awaken.
:?: :!: :drool: :techie-studyingbrown: :) :D :shhh:
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

zeldas_lullaby wrote: 28 Apr 2015, 19:36 Great review! Congrats to the author too--this book sounds fabulous.

Murdering your husbands for the insurance money--that's just cold. :-o
Cold is an understatement :shock:
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

I really enjoyed your review. It captivated me. I'm not normally a fan of historic fiction based on true stories. The title of this book initially pulled me in. I normally enjoy reading about witches and vampires which is funny considering that the title of the book was one of the things you didn't like just for that reason. Even though I wouldn't normally choose a book like this, it sounds very interesting so I have added it to my bookshelf.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

It's really sad to know that this was based on a real story. But this kind of murders for insurance money is happening even now also. They are all over the news. What more tragic is they were betrayed by thier loved ones just for money.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I agree with you 100% about the title--but as your review points out, never judge a book by it's cover. I'ver never heard of this incident, but I'm popping this book to the top of the TBR pile--it sounds great!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction novel based on a true story sounds fascinating! Housewives individually hire the local tailor to murder their husbands to get the insurance money. How awful! Those wives are wicked! And to think it is based on a true story! It is good that each backstory is described in detail, that the characters are well-drawn, and the pace is fast. That the author painted a detailed picture of the area is another bonus. Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

What a good storyline! I like historical novels, especially those set in the early to mid 20th century, plus it goes against the usual thinking of ‘pretty housewives with aprons on, fussing over their husbands. A juicy and compelling book.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the story arch involving insurance fraud. I am surprised the author first heard the stories from his mother when he was eight years old. Thanks for the review.
byrondsouza
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by byrondsouza »

Gus Pelagatti's "The Wicked Wives" is a novel based on a true story. Killing the husbands was a common practice back then to get insurance money.
“Counselor, my niece, Lillian, is the only person in the world I care about. Play your cards right. Agree not to recommend an autopsy. The coroner’s physician and the family doctor will attribute death to pneumonia without the need for autopsy. And I’ll guarantee you anything you want in this town from a legal standpoint.” Game-changing politics :lol:
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

I like how the author himself is involved in these stories. This book seems like a collection of gossip. I like how everyone got justice too. Marriages fail or work out, but murder is not the right way to go. Congratulations on BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: What Makes You Feel Better That Starts With The Letter by Sienna L. Ambrose

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

Gus' idea to write on these crimes was nice and I would love to read this book and enjoy various mystery associated with this book. Congrats on BOTD

Return to “"The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti”