Horror Genre Discussion

For October 2015, we will be reading a Supernatural or Horror genre novel in honor of Halloween.
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 37103
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Late Eclipses
Bookshelf Size: 986
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Horror Genre Discussion

Post by Gravy »

kio wrote:I finished mine as well: Angels and Demons by Delaine Christine, but I'm still reeling from the cliffhanger ending. I'll be back as well after I've digested it to further divulge into your guys' posts :)
@rssllue :!:
I'm not the only one to digest their books! :snooty:
Personal pronouns:She/Her

"The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper."
User avatar
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 50714
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I noticed that. :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
User avatar
kio
Posts: 773
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 21:52
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 533
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

We probably all do and just don't admit it :) Who else here does that? So on to Angels and Demons by Delaine Christine:


One fateful night, Veta Rohann survives a nasty car crash that kills her family. As a result, the car crash brings up dark parts of her past and leaves Veta feeling like God is telling her to start over. With nothing but her U-Haul of meager possessions, she goes to Kalispell, Montana. Things don’t quite as planned, however, when she arrives. Her U-Haul gets stolen and she almost dies in her rental house’s hot tub. She starts to have feelings for Drinian, but is afraid she’ll get hurt. As God’s angels try and stop the demons from attacking Veta, the reader soon learns that Veta and Drinian are destined to fulfill a prophecy that could save the world or destroy it. With love and the world on the line, will Veta and Drinian fulfill their destinies? Will their dark pasts get in the way of their future?

I'd say this book is more of a supernatural fiction book than horror.

Supernatural elements I noticed that tend to be universal throughout the genre include otherworldly beings or forces and the ability for the main character to see and/or interact with them. I also noticed that laws of physics/science tend to go out the window with relation to them. They're usually something you see from old legends and myths.

This particular book contained all of those elements and took the form of the angels and demons you see as you read the book. Most of the main character by the end of the book either have supernatural powers such as reading minds and/or can see the angels and demons. come in to account when you learn about the family's past and how Drinian is part of a triplet set where at least one is evil according to their family's traditions.

I liked the cliffhanger chapters and ending of this book. It left me reeling at the end and ended totally different than I expected. I've noticed this also tends to be a characteristic of horror/supernatural fiction.

At first, I didn't like trying to keep straight Veta's cat and the main character guy being called, Drinian, but this later played into the story's mystery. I think mystery and confusion also tends to be a natural characteristic of the supernatural and horror genres.

What do you think? Do you think confusion on the part of the reader is a natural part of the book or are there some books you've read that this isn't the case?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
zeldas_lullaby
Posts: 5985
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 20:01
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, I see what you're saying. Maybe it would've worked better if it was known that they had the same name, yet one had a regular nickname, like Drin, or Dri? Unless the author was trying to confuse you, but I hate that sort of thing--I get brain freeze easily.
dickens 100
Posts: 91
Joined: 11 May 2015, 16:25
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

I find most modern horror, ridiculous and over the top. In my opinion, the last great horror book is the Shining by Stephen King.
The film was terrific as well, full of suspense, not lots of blood and gore. The old horror films, with Boris Karloff through to the
Roger Corman films of the 60's with the brilliant Vincent Price were masterpieces and if anyone has ever seen Fritz Lang's 1932 Freaks, that is pretty horrific but memorable
User avatar
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 50714
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Well, I see what you're saying. Maybe it would've worked better if it was known that they had the same name, yet one had a regular nickname, like Drin, or Dri? Unless the author was trying to confuse you, but I hate that sort of thing--I get brain freeze easily.
:occasion-snowman: :o :occasion-snowman:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
zeldas_lullaby
Posts: 5985
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 20:01
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

:lol: Yeah, like that. Thanks for the visual!!
User avatar
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 50714
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are most welcome! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 48963
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Killing Commendatore
Bookshelf Size: 2040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kio wrote:We probably all do and just don't admit it :) Who else here does that? So on to Angels and Demons by Delaine Christine:


One fateful night, Veta Rohann survives a nasty car crash that kills her family. As a result, the car crash brings up dark parts of her past and leaves Veta feeling like God is telling her to start over. With nothing but her U-Haul of meager possessions, she goes to Kalispell, Montana. Things don’t quite as planned, however, when she arrives. Her U-Haul gets stolen and she almost dies in her rental house’s hot tub. She starts to have feelings for Drinian, but is afraid she’ll get hurt. As God’s angels try and stop the demons from attacking Veta, the reader soon learns that Veta and Drinian are destined to fulfill a prophecy that could save the world or destroy it. With love and the world on the line, will Veta and Drinian fulfill their destinies? Will their dark pasts get in the way of their future?

I'd say this book is more of a supernatural fiction book than horror.

Supernatural elements I noticed that tend to be universal throughout the genre include otherworldly beings or forces and the ability for the main character to see and/or interact with them. I also noticed that laws of physics/science tend to go out the window with relation to them. They're usually something you see from old legends and myths.

This particular book contained all of those elements and took the form of the angels and demons you see as you read the book. Most of the main character by the end of the book either have supernatural powers such as reading minds and/or can see the angels and demons. come in to account when you learn about the family's past and how Drinian is part of a triplet set where at least one is evil according to their family's traditions.

I liked the cliffhanger chapters and ending of this book. It left me reeling at the end and ended totally different than I expected. I've noticed this also tends to be a characteristic of horror/supernatural fiction.

At first, I didn't like trying to keep straight Veta's cat and the main character guy being called, Drinian, but this later played into the story's mystery. I think mystery and confusion also tends to be a natural characteristic of the supernatural and horror genres.

What do you think? Do you think confusion on the part of the reader is a natural part of the book or are there some books you've read that this isn't the case?

I think confusion on the part of the reader is a natural part of some books. The last book I reviewed also had it and I believe it was intentional. Of course, some books are just disjointed. 8)
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
kio
Posts: 773
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 21:52
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 533
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Hmm, good point @gali. I agree, @dickens 100. I think in order to plsy pff people's primal fears, most horror authors do that :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 37103
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Late Eclipses
Bookshelf Size: 986
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

kio wrote:Hmm, good point @gali. I agree, @dickens 100. I think in order to plsy pff people's primal fears, most horror authors do that :)
I actually prefer the implied threat over the clear danger. Makes the work of the author easier because the readers mind creates the danger.
My brain can offer me a million different ideas of what could be behind a door, but once that door is opened, my mind is tied down into the authors idea of fear.
Personal pronouns:She/Her

"The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper."
User avatar
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 50714
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 01:52
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

:text-yeahthat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
User avatar
kio
Posts: 773
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 21:52
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 533
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I third that :) But, at the same time, a clear danger be necessary. Otherwise, it might not seem dangerous. I mean, you can only make a bunny so scary without the clear threat of danger, right. For example, James Howe had to make Bunnicula a vampire bunny to add some horror to his Bunnicula series, but still the bunny only sucked the lives out of vegetables. I think the author has to have a good knowledge of their intended audience to scare. After all, as far as I know, only 3rd to 4 th or 5th grader (pr younger) would be afraid of a vampire bunny who drains vegetables :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 37103
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Late Eclipses
Bookshelf Size: 986
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

:text-yeahthat: :laughing-rolling:

I always thought Bunnicula was cute :D

-- 09 Oct 2015, 22:38 --

A good example of an implied, yet never (really) seen threat, in my opinion, is in The Shining, when Danny's on the playground.

That scene was very well done 8)
Personal pronouns:She/Her

"The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper."
User avatar
joanofarc2015
Posts: 91
Joined: 24 Sep 2015, 02:11
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

is anyone here still a fan of the Goosebumps series? *just curious*
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
Post Reply

Return to “October 2015 Genre Discussion”