Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Free Fish Friday

Post by literarycat »

Lee Stone wrote:It's our diversity that makes people so interesting. There are certain triggers that will cause some readers to turn off a Kindle in a second. For some it might be gay characters or references. For others, adultery. For still others, profanity. "Free Fish Friday" fingers every trigger! It's a regular shooting gallery.
It goes along the lines of every one has their own tastes and sometimes like you said something triggers the distaste for me it is excessive use of rape in a story. I know that is something I can not handle so I tend to try and avoid books that may reference it. I am interested in Free Fish Friday based off of gal's review and what I have seen so far. :-)
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I love reading everyone's different opinions of the book. I'll have to check the book out!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I've read a number of books that didn't grip me right away, but turned out to be a good read anyway. This discussion caught my interest; so I'll get my nock to load it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think the laid-back, "end of the road" setting of Key West fits well with Jerry Porter being an enigma. In other parts of the country, a new person in town would invite questions about the person's background, how it came to be that they had a lot of money, etc. In Key West, the locals are laid back and have the anything goes, live and let live mentality. This was why I think Jerry became so popular and well-liked, without anyone really knowing anything about him.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I find that books that are character and setting driven take a little time to settle in to the story.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I think the laid-back, "end of the road" setting of Key West fits well with Jerry Porter being an enigma. In other parts of the country, a new person in town would invite questions about the person's background, how it came to be that they had a lot of money, etc. In Key West, the locals are laid back and have the anything goes, live and let live mentality. This was why I think Jerry became so popular and well-liked, without anyone really knowing anything about him.
I agree!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:I think the laid-back, "end of the road" setting of Key West fits well with Jerry Porter being an enigma. In other parts of the country, a new person in town would invite questions about the person's background, how it came to be that they had a lot of money, etc. In Key West, the locals are laid back and have the anything goes, live and let live mentality. This was why I think Jerry became so popular and well-liked, without anyone really knowing anything about him.
And remember that Jerry was a psychologist ... he was well-versed in controlling conversation. He understood that the way to make friends was to listen, not talk.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

By the way, I literally just finished the book about 2 hours ago.

Good point about Jerry's profession of being a listener. However, I didn't consider that while reading the story. I thought of it as the character having something to hide.
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:By the way, I literally just finished the book about 2 hours ago.

Good point about Jerry's profession of being a listener. However, I didn't consider that while reading the story. I thought of it as the character having something to hide.
Exactly. Everyone assumed that his change of name and secrecy had to be incriminating somehow! "Free Fish Friday" is intended to be a whole bunch of thought-triggering social commentary disguised as a simple story, told by a simple man.
Last edited by gali on 11 Oct 2015, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted link to reviews on other site.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It was great to have Slacker as the narrator since we get his firsthand view of Jerry. Even though he and Jerry were inseparable friends for five years, Slacker didn't know too much about him.
gali

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:
And remember that Jerry was a psychologist ... he was well-versed in controlling conversation. He understood that the way to make friends was to listen, not talk.
He was that and I liked how he influenced Slacker. I liked Slacker better as he changed and developed as the story unfolded.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
Lee Stone wrote:
He was that and I liked how he influenced Slacker. I liked Slacker better as he changed and developed as the story unfolded.
However, Slacker still never cleaned his room and I think he didn't change his clothes for days sometimes! Hahaha
gali

Post by gali »

lol some things don't change... :lol:
A retired Admin/Mod

B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

I absolutely love the kind and respectful way you are all speaking to each other! My mother always said " Opinions are like behinds, everybody has got one but some are bigger". I read the sample and while I won't be purchasing the whole book I did enjoy the tone and style of the book so far. Thank you for having such a kind and tolerant conversation!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

B3cca 3ll3r wrote:I absolutely love the kind and respectful way you are all speaking to each other! My mother always said " Opinions are like behinds, everybody has got one but some are bigger". I read the sample and while I won't be purchasing the whole book I did enjoy the tone and style of the book so far. Thank you for having such a kind and tolerant conversation!
Your mom must be hilarious at holiday gatherings. :lol:
Everyone has different tastes in books. This book took me a few chapters to get into the story. It's very character driven and I needed to get a sense of all the players before becoming more absorbed in the plot. After finishing the book, I reread Gali's review and think it is spot on.

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”