Do you believe that rhymes are an integral part of poems? Why or why not?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Do you believe that rhymes are an integral part of poems? Why or why not?

Post by hayisa »

When I was younger, I definitely believed that all poems would rhyme. Then I stumbled upon poets who didn't do rhyming. The poems were still beautiful and deeply resonate with your soul. Currently, I think that rhymes are a part of poems, but just because a poem doesn't have rhymes doesn't mean that they're not poems.
SamanthaGarcia
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthagarcia.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Post by SamanthaGarcia »

I don't know if I am the only one but for some reason, I can't rhyme correctly or improvise rhymes at all. For that reason, poems that don't rhyme feel more familiar and kind and honest to me. Maybe it's the conversational way some are written or the reflective tones others take. It feels more grounded and close to home. Or even the contrary, if that's what the poet aimed to do. But I don't like thinking that rhymes make the poem; it's the feeling it invokes and the way things are said. Anything contrary is a story and even then, if done just right, a story can be a poem too.
laughandread7
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughandread7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by laughandread7 »

Personally, I love poems that rhyme. They just sound better to me. At the same time, I recognize that poems with no rhyme are also a valid part of art.
hayisa

Post by hayisa »

Samantha Garcia 6 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 21:23 I don't know if I am the only one but for some reason, I can't rhyme correctly or improvise rhymes at all. For that reason, poems that don't rhyme feel more familiar and kind and honest to me. Maybe it's the conversational way some are written or the reflective tones others take. It feels more grounded and close to home. Or even the contrary, if that's what the poet aimed to do. But I don't like thinking that rhymes make the poem; it's the feeling it invokes and the way things are said. Anything contrary is a story and even then, if done just right, a story can be a poem too.
I've always struggled with rhyming poems too. All the poems I've been thinking in my mind don't usually rhyme. Recently, I finished our Numbered Days (a poetry collection book), by Neil Hilborn, and most of the lines constructed don't rhyme. But I still think that the poems were very beautifully made. The one I'm also currently reading: I Would Leave Me If I Could, by Halsey has many occasions where rhyming was ignored. It's as you said, the feelings and way of saying are what makes the poem. Otherwise, it's an entirely different writing.
hayisa

Post by hayisa »

laughandread7 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 22:53 Personally, I love poems that rhyme. They just sound better to me. At the same time, I recognize that poems with no rhyme are also a valid part of art.
Ah, yes. Rhyming poems always struck me and much more, if they have a deep meaning that you can relate to daily life. Personally, I think they feel nice to hear. However, I do acknowledge even the poems with no such rhymes are still poems and could still be masterpieces. I've come across so many like that.
Iris Ewing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iris Ewing »

I write poetry as as a form of emotional therapy, and I use both rhyme and prose. I find most of the rhyming poems are more inspirational or humorous, and the prose deals with darker things like fear and guilt. I don't do this on purpose. It's just how it shakes out.
Samavis89700
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samavis89700.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Samavis89700 »

For me, sometimes poems that have neat little rhymes feel too childish, almost singsong-y. I tend to enjoy poems that rhyme if it fits the subject matter (e.g. love) or don't rhyme for sad/angry subject matter. I guess it depends!
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

A good poem has rhythm brought about by repition and rhyme.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

I thought a poem had to have rhymes in order to be considered as a poem. But I now realize that there are many types of poems some of which require rhymes and others that don't.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Oral poem needs to be performed not read so, just like songs, they need rhyming words and rhyme to make it musical.
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

Poems that have rhyming words flow easily when recited making them musical, but we should consider that it's not a must for them to rhyme. Some poets write without paying attention to rhyme schemes yet they still pull out emotions from the very being of your body. I tend to believe that it doesn't matter how well you write is what matters.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think of a rhyme scheme as just one of the fundamental challenges of writing a poem as well as, to some extent, a consideration of "meter", or the rhythm of the word progression. The aforesaid devices are usually associated with what is called a lyrical poem. The poet is challenged to not only relate a story or idea, but to relate it under the additional handicap of remaining true to rhyme and meter; example: The Charge of the Light Brigade, by Alfred Tennyson.

The other type of poetry is called free verse poetry. In this type of poetry the poet might sacrifice rhyme and meter for an accentuation of metaphor and symbolism. Perhaps more emphasis would be placed in the beauty of the descriptions or the subtle intimations of the idea behind the words such as in Ode To A Grecian Urn, by John Keats.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sherry Troutman

Post by Sherry Troutman »

hayisa wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 03:30 When I was younger, I definitely believed that all poems would rhyme. Then I stumbled upon poets who didn't do rhyming. The poems were still beautiful and deeply resonate with your soul. Currently, I think that rhymes are a part of poems, but just because a poem doesn't have rhymes doesn't mean that they're not poems.
Totally Agreed 👍
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

hayisa wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 07:37
laughandread7 wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 22:53 Personally, I love poems that rhyme. They just sound better to me. At the same time, I recognize that poems with no rhyme are also a valid part of art.
Ah, yes. Rhyming poems always struck me and much more, if they have a deep meaning that you can relate to daily life. Personally, I think they feel nice to hear. However, I do acknowledge even the poems with no such rhymes are still poems and could still be masterpieces. I've come across so many like that.
Most definitely. I prefer poems with rhymes, but it's not mandatory.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Rhymes play a huge part in poetry, and personally, I like them due to the musicality effect they add to a poem (and they usually show me how creative a poet is). However, there other poetry sub-genres that do not necessarily need rhymes but are still good.

Return to “Poetry & Music”