Does mental illness produce best creative material?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Almira789
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almira789.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Does mental illness produce best creative material?

Post by Almira789 »

Well yes! However, it depends on the cases but the thing is: being mentally illed or exhausted prompted us to focus on something. I personally experience this, and this helpsed me become so creative in many ways.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I believe that creative material can spark from anything. However, I have noticed that I tend to create the most original, out of the world ideas when I am feeling really upset about life or when I feel the negativity getting to me. I wouldn't directly blame any struggles I have, but I do believe they play a key role in helping me develop my mind and reflect in writing.
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

No, mental illness does not produce best creative material. People are most creative when they are in a good mood, according to study, and mental diseases like depression or schizophrenia actually reduce creativity. Based on personal experience, as I am stressed, I can’t focus on my work, resulting for me to become less productive.

Return to “Poetry & Music”