IS POETRY AN LEARNT ART OR A TALENT?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: IS POETRY AN LEARNT ART OR A TALENT?

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I think poetry is a talent. Not everyone can put words or feelings together on a piece of paper. Anyone could try, but I don’t think all will be as equally good
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

Everyone has some sort of poetic talent whether it is raw and untouched or magnificent from birth. Since poetry is just a form of expression we wall can do it. Now that doesn't mean everyone is Shakespeare or anything, but we all can still write poetry.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

John Owen wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 04:18 I have come across so many groups claiming to teach poetry so as to make you a great poet. However, I believe poetry is an innate talent just waiting to be exploited. What are your views and thoughts?
Poetry is a great talent but you need a teacher. All things involve talent.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

To claim that poetry is a learned art is a bit of a stretch. I believe that anyone may compose poetry in any style they like. It's something that emanates from the inside out and flows freely. It can't be pushed, and you can't just take lessons to learn how to write beautiful poetry. :))
Iris Ewing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iris Ewing »

I believe it's both with the emphasis on talent. A writer must have talent to express their personal insights so they're understood, but it also requires literary composition knowledge to put the words together so they correctly express what you're trying to say.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

An oral poem just like a song is a performed art. However, for you to understand the cues to apply( verbal and non- verbal, it's important to be taught. In addition as a career one needs to be taught. Some people are born with innate love for poetry and need just guidance to apply it correctly. So the question is a yes for both depending on the situation.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Honestly most things that are a natural talent can also be learned by others. Granted they might not be as good as if they were born with the gift. But sometimes when you learn something and practice it becomes a skill.
Robyn Fortuin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Robyn Fortuin »

I believe there's more than one explanation
Some write because they understand & others, write because they've been misunderstood and by doing so they want to make others feel Understood.
Although, I also believe that it's only a few who has the ability to understand poetry instead of just reading it.
I think poetry is everything but learnt, its not something you can teach the next person or even something you could have taught yourself
I believe its a beautiful yet chaotic, aswell as agonizing way of expressing oneself through perspectives, experiences, knowledge and wisdom aswell.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

In my perception it's both. Some learn to write while some people are just talented. Learning is also a skill, for that reason whoever that is willing to learn could excel in anything they wanna excel at.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

I think poetry is an art because it dwells and works within our emotions and expressions.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

I think poetry is an art because it dwells and works within our emotions and expressions.
Chothi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 142

Post by Chothi »

I believe poetry is a learnt art. You need to understand the structure, grammar, rhythm and so on
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

No aspect of writing is talent. It is acquirer through exposure to that aspect of writing over time. I for one can't write poetry because I don't read lots of poems but articles and analysis, I do perfectly. That is because that's what I read most of the times.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

John Owen wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 04:18 I have come across so many groups claiming to teach poetry so as to make you a great poet. However, I believe poetry is an innate talent just waiting to be exploited. What are your views and thoughts?
I support your claims. A person is born with a certain inclination to poetry or any other skill. School just help to develop them.

Return to “Poetry & Music”