Thoughts on Edgar Allen Poe

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
sallyzhang
Currently Reading: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Thoughts on Edgar Allen Poe

Post by sallyzhang »

The first time I ever encountered some of Poe’s works was in middle school I believe. At first I just thought he was some dramatic angsty man who wrote depressing poems. But as I really read his works, I found myself standing in the place of his characters, and that’s when I knew that Poe was/would be one of my favorite poets. His writing is dark and gloomy sometimes, but it’s an accurate representation of life. With all the nice happy poems out there, there’s gotta be something that shakes you to your core as well. Basically, I think he’s an incredible writer.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

i have heard of his masterpieces and his great name..we have discussed him on class and i personally think that he is so mysteriously intelligent
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

TheDarkFae wrote: 09 Feb 2016, 04:29 I think he is neither. Poe is a tormented soul, one of those creatures doomed to live out of his time, trying to fit in in a world hostile to him. His life is a testament to that and I see this in his haunted poetry. The struggle of an ancient soul striving to survive, and at the same time floating above, ethereal and dreamy. His poetry so fully emotional and atmospheric and there is something that always touches me deeply when I read his poems.
I think "tormented" hits the mark. Thanks for sharing your insights. That is probably why his stories are so "scary" (for lack of a better word) yet strangely alluring.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

TheDarkFae wrote: 09 Feb 2016, 04:29 I think he is neither. Poe is a tormented soul, one of those creatures doomed to live out of his time, trying to fit in in a world hostile to him. His life is a testament to that and I see this in his haunted poetry. The struggle of an ancient soul striving to survive, and at the same time floating above, ethereal and dreamy. His poetry so fully emotional and atmospheric and there is something that always touches me deeply when I read his poems.
I agree with you..this is a very deep explanation, i liked that you liked him
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I have read a couple of his works, but never have I thought of Poe as either estranged or demented, but his characters definitely are.

I don't remember exactly, but the sister in "The Fall of the House of Usher" gave me the creeps.
Kathleen Dooley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kathleen Dooley »

I never truly got into his work further than assigned reading assignments but I read A Mystery of Mysteries: The Life and Death of Edgar Allen Poe. It was truly eye-opening to how he created his work and exactly why he will always go down as a literary legend. I would recommend giving it a read if you've never dived into his personal history.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bron Bakers »

I like him as a poet. He intrigues me a pot and I can't wait for what he does next.
Hella Layot
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hella-layot.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Hella Layot »

"Edgar Allan Poe, the maestro of macabre, weaves tales that transcend time. His dark and mysterious narratives linger, casting a haunting spell on literature's vast landscape."
Chris Konstantine
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Reckoning 2.0
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-konstantine.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Chris Konstantine »

Poe is one of of my favorite Authors, and a huge influence in my own writing style.

Some find him morbid and dark, but the real question is why? Poe was in essence a shattered soul, grief stricken over the loss of his beloved cousin and wife. This life-altering fact heavily influenced his works, particularly his poetry which many times took on a ruinous undertones.

But that was his pain I believe, and his manner of expressing it. I write poetry myself, and perhaps one day I'll share some with you all, much of that work is an expression of emotion, particularly pain and loss.

If you look at some of Poe's short stories such as the "The Man That Was Used Up", sometimes subtitled "A Tale of the Late Bugaboo and Kickapoo Campaign", you will see the humorous side of Poe and a delightful wit.

In the end I believe he was more "normal" than some people realize, but he was wounded mortally early in life, not in the body but the soul.

Return to “Poetry & Music”