Thoughts on music in a foreign language

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Thoughts on music in a foreign language

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I don’t really like music where I can’t understand what they are saying. I like to sing along to songs as well and if it is in a language I don’t understand, it is difficult
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

No matter what language a song is if I liked the rythym and vibe it gives, I would hear it without even understanding the meaning of the song.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
abbiegault22
Currently Reading: Break the Chains of Dieting
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiegault22.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by abbiegault22 »

I have a roommate from Spain and she loves listening to Spanish music. I wish I knew it better because it just sounds random to me, so I don't enjoy it.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

English is an official language but when we talk of music in Ghana, Indian, I think the tune is what will determine. Since I don't know the lyrics, the tune will have to determine how much I would enjoy it
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

VAwkOb12 wrote: 04 May 2019, 12:21 Every once in a while you may happen to hear songs in a language don't understand what do you think of such songs?

Do you find them distasteful? Or do you like them?

Say Why for either answer
For me it’s thrilling. I enjoy it especially rap. It also gives me the knowledge of other society music
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

THERE ARE NO BOUNDARIES IN MUSIC. I don't think it matters that the song is in a different language as long as it is enjoyable and leaves an impression on me. It's been a few years since I started listening to a lot of foreign music, and I must say, they're the finest!
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

I don't usually listen to music that I can't understand the language but I will listen to one that has a mix of a language I know and a language I don't.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

Love them. Most of the music that I listen to is a mix of different languages. And this is one of the reasons I don't share my playlists with those around me because they always say that I listen to weird music. Telugu, Hindi, Norwegian, French, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, English are the languages of the songs that I listen to every single day.
Samavis89700
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samavis89700.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Samavis89700 »

I actively seek out music in other languages! Right now most of the songs I listen to on a daily basis are either in Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, French, Italian, or English, and I try to understand at least the gist of the meaning of whatever song I’m listening to. But listening to a song and understanding none of the lyrics is an experience for sure.
Kgomotso Maje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgomotso-maje.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by Kgomotso Maje »

Asian love songs are the best, be it Indian, Korean, Filipino, i just love listening to them even when i don't have a clue what they are saying. Spanish songs are especially good to dance along to, like Despacito Luis Fonsi and Bailando by Enrique Iglesias.
Bonface Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonface-otieno.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Bonface Otieno »

They are kind of amazing. I like to listen to the accent and get fascinated by a new language.
Chothi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 142

Post by Chothi »

I simply love music that sounds good to my ear. Doesn't matter what the lyrics are! For instance I've been listening and dancing on the song temperature by Sean Paul for years. I never understood the lyrics. I recently Googled it and was astonished at my innocence 😂
krizrabbit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by krizrabbit »

As long as I like the beat or melody I don't really mind whatever language it is in. Sometimes I try to find the meaning of that song through google.
Chothi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 142

Post by Chothi »

I like music that sounds good to my ear. Lyrics don't matter much. So language is not a barrier for me in music.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

As long as the melody hits right and the emotions are conveyed, language doesn't matter!

Return to “Poetry & Music”