Favorite types of Music

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Favorite types of Music

Post by Bighuey »

Its the same for me. I listen to 1920's and 30's fast upbeat music during the day, that was the era of happy feel good music. A lot of the lyrics were kind of sappy and dumb and sung by horrible singers, but it puts me in a good mood.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
gabgobblr
Currently Reading: the woman who died a lot
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabgobblr.html

Post by gabgobblr »

I love hearing all types of music on Pandora radio, but for the most part stick to:

rock/alternative,(fall out boy, muse, imagine dragons, florence+the machine) pop/easy listening,(icona pop, demi lovato, adele, michael buble) dance/remixes,(skrillex, deadmau5, benni benassi) and new age/piano music(yiruma)

I've also started listening to old jazz lately,(billie holiday) and I really like it.
feyindie60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feyindie60.html

Post by feyindie60 »

You asked about what kids like, if I can read correctly. I find that the themes of youth have changed very little over time. Most of the themes deal with love, change, revolution, a better world, frustration, anger, and unrequited love. The music can vary, be it punk rock, gypsy, pop, rock, alternative, or other platforms. Adult music generally is smoother, more organized, with the point of the work clearer. Even with that said, I have it on good authority (my teenage grandson) that "their" music helps reduce teenage suicide by addressing their issues. Having been a rock and roll singer from the sixties, I have some understanding of this position, and believe there is some truth to this.

-- 16 Oct 2013, 14:56 --

Continuing on from my last post....At the ripe old age of 63, I now listen to everything. Rap, pop,rock, classical, 30's, 40's, boogie woogie, world music, native american, etc. There is usually a song running through my head. Living with a 35 and a 16 year old gives a broad spectrum in our home. Our only requirement is that it is done well. Crummy music is crummy music, just like a badly written book.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

Country!! I think those songs are so moving and really hit home if you are walking down the hard path in life. I am not a fan of pop music, I think the words of a song are everything and now songs in that genre are becoming more and more just random sounds mixed together...
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

Traditional Irish music. When that's not on, it's progressive rock, like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, King Crimson, Adrian Belew.
Obiebookworm
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Indie, folk, alternative. I really like Belle & Sebastian and Arcade Fire :D
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

To prisailurophile: Belle & Sebastian and Arcade Fire are great!
Obiebookworm
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

There are a lot of people who like to listen to classical music when they feel the need for something relaxing, and
almost everybody I know only thinks of it as something to fall asleep to, but every time an opera aria or symphonic
tune reaches my ears, I'm like, "OH, OH!" Then I start jumping up and down, showing every tooth in my mouth. My arms
start flailing uncontrollably. My eyes get as large as Jupiter. Yeah, I've been told I'm certifiably infatuated. My mom
said that with great concern on her face just the other day. :) Rachmaninoff is my favorite composer all around. His works for piano and orchestra are amazing, and I think his solo piano pieces are some of the most intimate ever written. There's some real understanding in the stuff, some deep insight into the human condition.

Opera is my main thing. I think I have somewhere between thirty and sixty, and I only choose the all around best. I think Maria Callas is the greatest thing ever to happen to musical theatre and that without Vincenzo Bellini and Giuseppe Verdi the diva wouldn't have happened, which isn't very good for those who like Broadway and pop. Opera... Explosive, vital, lofty and, yet, inexplicably, human at the same time... the most amazing music in the world.

Of course, there are bits and pieces of other genres I like to chew on here and there. I grew up on country music, R%B, rock, and pop, my mom having the talent to sing anything she wants to, and recently discovered a Celtic bone I didn't know I had. My sister is the best singer of Loreena McKennit's songs I've ever heard. She's also amazing when she plays the part of Fantine from "Les Miserables" in our living room, though she refuses to believe it. :) No, I don't like Broadway. I like brilliance, and that is the essence of "The Phantom of the Opera" and its famous counterpart aforementioned.

Anyway, I'm new here and glad to be a part of this colorful community. First impressions aren't always the right ones, but I hope I'm not already in the gutter... :) I've read a few of the articles here already and love what I've seen... so... Ciao everybody!
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

To Nathrad Sheare: I have always enjoyed Rachmaninoff! Prokofiev is probably tops for me. I used to listen to a lot of classical growing up. But when I went into the conservatory, they drilled the classical out of me and I barely listen to it now, except when Keith Emerson plays his versions.
Never got much into opera, but I'm glad you enjoy it; and I agree with you about "Phantom." Indeed the best!!!
Obiebookworm
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Prokofiev was one of those composers who was intensely romantic when romantic wasn't cool. I think his ballet "Romeo and Juliet" is one of the greatest symphonic scores ever written. I've almost cried listening to the "Balcony Scene" and the "Scene of Parting," and the "Dance of the Capulets" is awesome. I also own all of Prokofiev's piano concertos, the second of which is my absolute favorite. The first movement is haunting, beautiful in a unique way. The cadenza near its finale is of the kind of towering music that seems to cut through the fabric of the universe. Amazing stuff. The "Lieutenant Kije Suite" is a great work, too. What I'd like to get my hands on is a good recording of "For the Love of Three Oranges," Sergei's most popular opera.

-- 16 Nov 2013, 01:52 --

Prokofiev was one of those composers who was intensely romantic when romantic wasn't cool. I think his ballet "Romeo and Juliet" is one of the greatest symphonic scores ever written. I've almost cried listening to the "Balcony Scene" and the "Scene of Parting," and the "Dance of the Capulets" is awesome. I also own all of Prokofiev's piano concertos, the second of which is my absolute favorite. The first movement is haunting, beautiful in a unique way. The cadenza near its finale is of the kind of towering music that seems to cut through the fabric of the universe. Amazing stuff. The "Lieutenant Kije Suite" is a great work, too. What I'd like to get my hands on is a good recording of "For the Love of Three Oranges," Sergei's most popular opera.
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

To Nathrad Sheare: Eeeeyes! :-)
Obiebookworm
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

My personal favourites are rock, folk and blues.
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

To Mom2Grey: Nice mix of music!! :-)
Obiebookworm
Hawkfrost541
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkfrost541.html

Post by Hawkfrost541 »

I'm one of those people who have always loved the strange music. The odd stuff that no one really listens to. Ive never really liked pop music and main stream music. I love listening classical but stuff like Erik Satie Gnossienne 1 and Vivaldi. I also very much love Jazz music like John Coltrane. But rock and metal and alternative also. I'm a huge lover of music. Led Zepplin, Ratt, Metallica, Brendon Small, Of Monsters and Men, Sin Cos Tan, Coldplay, U2, Aerosmith, Alex Clare, Lorde, Ben Harper, The Birthday, The Bravery, The Cure, Chromeo, Citizens, Daft Punk, Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse, David Bowie, Desire, Dio, Eminem. I love so many different kinds of music.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

With each day, different music can inspire me and it is so cool that this can happen with just beautifully constructed sounds reaching my ears. It is kind of mind blowing at times.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Poetry & Music”