Do you write more poetry than you read?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Johnny GoodFellow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnny-goodfellow.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re:

Post by Johnny GoodFellow »

daclawson2 wrote: 19 Feb 2007, 05:29 I write more than I read but lately i have read a lot. I tend to do both at the same time. I tend to write poems in the pages of a poetry book that I am reading. Reading is the easiest way to inspire me, most of the time it only takes one or two words to spark a poem in my head. I've written short stories based on one or two words.
I do not write. I envy people that do.
bookworm694
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm694.html
Latest Review: The Golden Rhinoceros by Ranulfo

Post by bookworm694 »

Reading poetry is my favorite form of reading, though as a writer I always have this dilemma of whether or not I should over-consume poetry.
Though I enjoy it, I feel like there is certainly a degree of appropriation of the writing style and themes, of other poets. I am very aware that there is no parthenogenesis in the field of writing altogether, but minimizing the exposure to a certain style of writing or writer, certainly makes one's writing more authentic as it stems from their authentic experiences. Of course, though there is the other side of this argument that very strongly suggests that reading is in and of itself an authentic experience, even if it is someone else's work. It broadens one's horizons making them better writers as they have now gained more insight into the human experience, and life. And at last, as an old saying suggests "He that would perfect himself in any art whatsoever, let him betake himself to the reading of some sure and certain work upon his art many more times over; for to read many books upon your art produceth confusion rather than learning."
Patrica Neher 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Patrica Neher 1 »

I would love to write more than I read peoms. Simply just because I would feel as if I could understand an could feel it more as id I was just to be reading them .
Renee Charles
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-charles.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Renee Charles »

I write poetry a lot more than I read it. It's a very powerful thing.
Isabelle Dias SIlva
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Isabelle Dias SIlva »

i love writing poems so i think i write more, but when i have the opportunity to read its amazing and i usually can get more inspiration by reading.
MetellaStella
Currently Reading: Emotional Intelligence
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by MetellaStella »

Terri2 wrote: 16 Jan 2007, 10:45 I think I write more poetry than I read, but maybe I should read more. It almost seems unfair, to put all my feelings out w/ poetry but not take the time to read more of other people's work.

What do you think?

Do you write more poetry than you read?
It's weird, I absolutely do. I don't relate to a lot of poetry unfortunately.

Mine tends to be more concrete and less abstract, so maybe that's one reason.

I don't think it's "unfair"- you shouldn't be beating yourself up over it. Just because someone plays a sport doesn't mean they necessarily enjoy watching it. Just because someone likes cooking doesn't mean they necessarily enjoy watching cooking shows. Etc
Dangel Tejares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dangel-tejares.html
Latest Review: The Sum of All the Pieces by Paul Bradford

Post by Dangel Tejares »

Because of my busy schedules I cannot write that many pieces. However, I can say back then, I used to write a lot. It’s way better writing than reading.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Yes, I write more than I read. When I read one poetry it can give me ideas of writing another ten for myself.
Gatiso Garamba
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Gatiso Garamba »

I can't write a poem than reading
Sharlene Cochrane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sharlene Cochrane »

I used to write as a young person, but am getting into it again. Slowly. It's been a long time. I do love the flow of poetry.
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

As for me, I write poems more than I read. Though, I don't know if it is a good habit. But, sometime I read people's poem too but not often.
Josué Kamba Tshilobo
Currently Reading: My Real-Life Rom-Com
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josu-kamba-tshilobo.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Josué Kamba Tshilobo »

I like to write especially poetry , it's my pleasure .
Angela_Ezekiel
Currently Reading:

Post by Angela_Ezekiel »

I think mine is a balance. I'm an English Major so I read lots of poetry.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

andr70 wrote: 14 Dec 2009, 09:26 I read more then write...er..in fact I don't write poetry at all, not so talanted, you know.
but I really enjoy reading...
Same here. I write prose but not poems. Once I tried it because a friend urged me to write. After that I was like never again.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

I feel the exact opposite, honestly. I read more than I write. Now, if that's a good, or bad thing, I don't know. I'm signed up to the Poetry Foundation's newsletter, so I get a poem a day in my inbox. I definitely can't write one poem a day, even though sometimes I get the burst of inspiration to write multiple poems in a day. I also read more books than I write them, so... :shrug: I don't know, just do what makes you happy, I guess?

Return to “Poetry & Music”