Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Felice01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Felice01 »

I think more important teenagers should be allowed to write period. Yes structure is important but to get them to put their minds on something that will get them to concentrate on something good beneficial to their life as far as expression of one themselves could spark more positive energy from they. Less wanting to hurt others or themselves putting them on a positive path.

Phyllisj
April Ruvs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ruvs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by April Ruvs »

From my experience poetry writing isn't something that can be taught, it sort of just happens. I remember once in high school when we were asked to write poems after doing the poetry part of our literature syllabus, my teacher was pretty disappointed when she saw no appreciation for the beauty of poetry, reading or writing it.
Sidra_s_s
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sidra_s_s »

I believe poetry is something that comes from the core of your heart, especially a person who has trouble expressing themselves with words. So they jot their words, their emotions all out on that piece of paper. And most of the times, as they right, it all starts rhyming, or sounding in a way that'd be mellifluous and resonating as it's read out loud. Poetry is simple yet so complex. One can describe an entire human life cycle in seven to eight lines, and one only needs to have sense of understanding of the depth of the poetry. It's never really taught, it's learned. And it's not learned when it's taught by others, but it's learned by reading books and others poetry. And on other times, in any other cases, it just comes flowing out of the deep corners of a heart as the speaker is in too deep their emotions.
ayemi_chan

Post by ayemi_chan »

No, not at all most teens nowadays think of literature in general as something nerdy and a waste of time, while poetry is something to be appreciated and actually takes a lot of thinking, and not something to be taken lightly, it establishes a connection to readers by telling a story in verses and rhymes. and I dont want to see a teen making a poem because he/she is forced to but they'll be making it because inspiration struck them and their willingness to do so

Let's be honest not all teens posses such an ability, and I for one want poems to stay as unique as they can be and when read you can feel emotions coming from it so future generations will sure find beauty in it.
Bunnchopp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunnchopp.html
Latest Review: Changing Masks by Nicholas Metelsky

Post by Bunnchopp »

I think poetry, like anything else, is something to escape to. However, poetry is not for everyone, and not everyone likes poetry. Poetry has been existing throughout the centuries, but teenagers shouldn't have to learn it, not unless they want to learn how to have a steady eye for language, structure and voice. Poetry can't be taught, but people can learn it at their own time.
Faith99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith99.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Faith99 »

Yes I think teenagers should be taught how to write poetry. This is because it enhances their English and it is a way in which they are able to express their thoughts and feelings
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

April Ruvs wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:50 From my experience poetry writing isn't something that can be taught, it sort of just happens. I remember once in high school when we were asked to write poems after doing the poetry part of our literature syllabus, my teacher was pretty disappointed when she saw no appreciation for the beauty of poetry, reading or writing it.
To an extent, I agree that it can't be taught, but I think it can be learnt. The thing is, you have to create a space in which literature, and poetry especially, can be appreciated. I remember learning about Olive Senior's work in secondary school and learning how to appreciate the way it touched on the emotions and commonalities of Caribbean citizens. As such, it was something that spurred on my own writing and that of many others. It all depends on what and how the student learns.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

Not all forms of poetry need to be taught but the intricacies of it need to. I think that poetry is partly due to talent but overall it can be taught. One can't be how to feel or how to think and therfore those aspects of writing come from within
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I can’t write poetry to save my life, haha! I do write very well if it’s a novel or short story. However, I lack the skill to write poetry.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

Learning to read and interpret poetry is one of the greatest gifts I was given. I was able to take AP courses in high school which really opened my mind and was a huge benefit throughout college, and still to this day.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

no because that depends on the person if he or she wants to learn or express herself in poetry or not because some people like other things
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Perhaps, if they are interested in the thing, why not?
Proofreader8

Post by Proofreader8 »

Yes Teenagers should Ben taught poetry, simple because it expands your mind and helps u think Andrew learn new words and syllables, also this can change a lot of teens to focus of love instead of hate.

So I agree 100% that teens should learn poetry. :D
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Charlie19 wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 23:36 no because that depends on the person if he or she wants to learn or express herself in poetry or not because some people like other things
Charlie19 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 02:52 Perhaps, if they are interested in the thing, why not?
Yes or no, Charlie? :eusa-think: If a kid doesn't like math or science, we don't stop teaching it. Poetry can give students a healthy outlet for surging emotions. I can't see any negative in teaching poetry to kids.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
lily_college

Post by lily_college »

Poetry I personally feel is essential for our young teens to learn, simply for the fact it's a short way of allowing them to express themselves. So few words can mean so much, especially to those that are unaware of how to completely express themselves.

Return to “Poetry & Music”