Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

poetry is the expression of our thoughts, feelings and emotions; things teenagers also can do. So, why not to give the tool to express themselves? Yes, they must be taught also.
DarellHershey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DarellHershey »

It'd be very good to have some kind of way to release emotions and stuff. Being a teenager is kinda being in a limbo of adulthood and childhood. Poetry would be perfect.
Ciska C
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: Unf*ck your intimacy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciska-c.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Ciska C »

I don’t necessarily think teenagers need to be taught to write poetry, but they should be taught to understand that there is hidden meaning and emotion behind it. Much like music and art. You have a much better appreciation for something if you have a basic understanding. Doesn’t mean you have to necessarily participate in it though!
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Definitely teenagers should be taught to write poetry.
It's is the best way to express what is in their mind.
:tiphat:
Quinton Lester
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinton-lester.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Quinton Lester »

Rebecca8 wrote: 04 Dec 2013, 07:48 I guess poetry is one of those things that comes naturally and cannot be taught. You just need to have a strong command on the language in which you are writing poetry.
Yes agreed. I would say poetry shouldn't be taught as an mandatory in schools but it should be encouraged for those who seek interest. I was introduced to poetry around the 5th grade, and I had a 8th grade teacher who really encouraged it, but by the time I got to high-school I felt shunned in fear of being an outcast I hid my poetry and stopped writing for a long time. I feel if its more encouraged to those interested throughout grade school it wouldn't be so many hidden poets
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by mark liu »

Poetry writing should be an optional style of answer in some exams in my opinion. For example, in the English Language GCSE there is a section on creative prose (basically write a story). I’ve often seen students who find it difficult to write a full story- be it because of difficulty with world settings or characters. However, I’ve also seen some of the same students excel in poetry writing- oftentimes writing impactful poetry far better than most pieces of prose.

This, however, comes with its own complications: different marking standards, different styles of skill sets etc. As a result, perhaps it would work well as a electorate or an optional part of the course, although I suspect for most students writing a prose is more than enough for them!
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

They should be taught the basics then given the choice to continue or not.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

In schools in my country, poetry is part of the curriculum, especially in high school. But it only goes as far as analyzing them and not writing them. I think a teenager should only be taught how to write poetry if he or she is interested because obviously there are some people who are not interested in poetry at all.
Laww
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laww.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laww »

Poetry is both an art and a talent borne with the bearer. You can improve it, but not teach it.
Almira789
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almira789.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Almira789 »

Yes, I think, especially if it has been part of our culture and our tradition to produce poetry. In our end, it is pivotal to preserve and empower our practice in flourishing poetry as a whole. Teenagers should be taught to somehow as well equipped with an optimistic worldview.
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

Yes, teenagers should be taught hot to right poetries specially that mostly teenagers are students. Poetry promotes literacy, builds community, and fosters emotional resilience. Students can use poetry as a constructive release for their sudden emotions. Reading creative poetry aloud in class can encourage students to develop trust and empathy while also emphasizing speaking and listening skills, which are often overlooked in high school literary programs.
Sanduni Himasha
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanduni-himasha.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sanduni Himasha »

I think they should be introduced to poetry rather than be taught since one's own style comes from experimenting.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

Yes. Literally why not? However, I'd like to say that I think it's more important for people to understand why there's poetry in the first place and what poetry (and such arts) means to its writers, readers, analysts, and sociopolitical culture
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

Although I believe that a person is born with a certain inclination to poetry or any other skill, Teaching poetry to teenagers would help them develop critical thinking. And they would be more creative with their writings. Apart from that, this process would help to unfold hidden talents.
Karen Gurtiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-gurtiza.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by Karen Gurtiza »

I think so, most especially to the out of school youths so as no to be engaged in senseless activities/matters

Return to “Poetry & Music”