Have you ever been to a poetry reading?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Devin Patches
Bookshelf Size: 0

best times

Post by Devin Patches »

I have been to many poetry readings. They rule. Everyone there, generally speaking, is very smart and welcoming. I'm usually the youngest person (and a boy to boot) at these things and most people think I was either forced to go for a class or I just came for the free snacks and coffee (which in my experience there is plenty of).

It's a neat experience. One memory I can share is when the mic broke during a pros reading and everyone had to crowd in close, so we were bumping shoulders, to hear the author. It's cool being in a room full of literature enthusiasts. Unfortunately I don't remember the authors name, but lots of her imagery stuck in my mind.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

The bar near my place always hold open poetry reading every Thursday night. I have never read my poetry but I always go there during Thursdays.
mrsdalloway

Post by mrsdalloway »

i've been a few times, and it's wonderful!
'The word-coining genius, as if thought plunged into a sea of words and came up dripping'
Kodak

Post by Kodak »

I've been to a few. Mostly just in coffee and book shops. It was a lot of fun.
There was this one kid who rapped for than spoke, but it was one of the coolest formats I've ever seen. (or heard. haha)
His poetry was deep, too. One of them about his uncle fighting his addiction problem was something I could totally relate to.

I've always wanted to read something of my own, but all of my poetry is in a really odd format and would probably be hard to read.
huynh

Post by huynh »

The exhibition is on antiques that show aging details done and left behind by previous owners. The interest is how old objects contain personal notes and messages that unconsciously create their own existence. Taking the idea of hiding and concealing little secrets, the exhibition is called ‘Tucked Away.’
wowgold

Post by wowgold »

I haven't gone to any poetry reading. I had only a chance to watch by means of television. I wish I could also participate in this kind of event.I do really love poems especially poems about love.
tinyViolin

Post by tinyViolin »

I went to a couple slam poetry readings at my high school, which were great. Their performances added to the poems, instead of just representing them. Really good stuff.

I've only been to one after that, at a local college. I forget her name, but the woman had recently won an award. She also read well; I enjoyed listening to her.

Where I'm at now, it's unlikely that they have poetry readings! :(
vaccumbags

Post by vaccumbags »

ya dude i read lot of books in my student life
Moore

Post by Moore »

Yes, I have been to some poetry reading. They were quite different. Everything depends on how they were organized and who was present. Some of them turned out to be a disaster and some of them were perfect. My mum is a poet and that's why I visit some readings form time to time.
Din2rc c

Post by Din2rc c »

I would live to post my poetry and get feedback
manicrabbit

Post by manicrabbit »

I have been to a couple of live poetry readings because my friend was reading hers. It was a surreal experience.
battery4laptop

Post by battery4laptop »

I have been to some poetry reading.It's very great.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I wish I could! I don't know any poetry readings here in the Philippines :( If anyone does know, please do tell! :)
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Ive never been to one in person but currently there are many that are online due to the lock down and Ive been loving attending those.
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

I haven't :-( but hope to SOON :-) :-)

Return to “Poetry & Music”