Is there such a thing as too much emphasis?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Racheal Chie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-racheal-chie.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Is there such a thing as too much emphasis?

Post by Racheal Chie »

So I stumbled upon a review about a poetry book around the site and the reviewer seems to think that the poet/author should have done more to explain some of the poems...I don't know but won't that take away from the beauty and mystery when he/she has to over-explain his poems instead of the reader drawing meaning from the literal devices the author used?

Or is it how poetry books are normally written, with an over-explanation of what feelings or thoughts the author was trying to project?
Arnold Tshwaro
Currently Reading: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Arnold Tshwaro »

Firstly answering your question, for me there is no such thing, as there courtesy of the author is to portray the message in a summit that would lead readers to the point of view the author is illustrating in the book. With less to emphasis for readers to indulge their knowledge in the projected message.
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Hattie's World by Thomas Bauer

Post by Ika Apro »

In poetry the bar for overempasis is higher, but I still think in some cases poets use them too much.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Bron Bakers »

I feel that most poets use them too much. One the great ones know how ti balance it out.
Hella Layot
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hella-layot.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Hella Layot »

"Balance is key in emphasis. Too much, and the core may be overshadowed. Yet, a well-placed emphasis can highlight the essence, creating depth and impact in communication."

Return to “Poetry & Music”