Do you think poetry is all about interpretation?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Do you think poetry is all about interpretation?

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Yes, if it's a deep poetry. It's fun to analyze poetries.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

In terms of poetry, I believe in freedom. For me, it's still about the message and deliberation. If it contains a passionate theme that many people can relate to, the quality speaks for itself.
DamDok+
Favorite Book: Uncommon Poems Common People
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damdok.html
Latest Review: Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser)

Post by DamDok+ »

No. Sometimes, a poet writes a piece of poetry from his perspective, hoping it conveys the information or draws the picture he intends to show others. That is why I can say only the writer of a piece of poetry can give its interpretation. I have found myself in a situation whereby I gave a meaning (a meaning I thought was the intended meaning) to a poetry just to find out that it was to a completely different destination the writer was driving at, but yeah, I'd saw it in another light. A poet feels people will see it the way he does but can a he see or change the readers mind?! – so, yes, poetry is also about interpretation.
A poet can write in view of an open interpretation by the readers of the poetry. While it is fitting to compare poetry to a human face, it does shows different expressions with respect to time and condition. So depending on an individual state of mind and situation, poetry can aswell with it varying facial expressions fit in to the purpose it appears to be for by the reader.
Poetry is about interpretation.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

My personal and subjective opinion is that poetry, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is in the ability of the reader to immerse themselves in the poem.
If one simply skims a poem, it's one thing. As an English Literature major it's in me to dissect every word and every bit of punctuation (or lack thereof) in a poem. writing essays about just a few couplets.
A poem is as compact as a small stick of dynamite, if we don't allow ourselves to ignite it we can rarely have our minds blown.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I think it’s open to everyone’s own interpretation. Some poetry will just click with you and others you might have difficulty understanding.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

It depends. Vague poems, which are typically more popular, leave a wide variety of ways for the reader to interpret the passage. But if a poem is telling a specific story, it's hard to interpret an author talking about a tree landing on him and the events that follow after into some philosophy for life.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

Yes, I think how people interpret poetry determines the lessons meant to lead from it
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Yes absolutely. Poetry is all about your personal experiences and interpretations.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

lovelyreader21 wrote: 29 Oct 2014, 13:25 I know that some people think you can judge whether poetry is "good" or "bad" by the quality of their writing and creativity. What's your opinion? Does the style or quality make or break it? Does it determine it's good or badness? Or do you think poetry is open for interpretation, and if it speaks to you, you can correctly view it as a good poem, whilst someone else may not connect to it, and therefore view it in a more negative light. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. :)
I think quality and style is poetry. It’s egalitarian in nature and should not be treated below it’s standard.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

For me, interpretation accounts for 70% of the poetry.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

As an artist, I have to say that all art is about interpretation. I hate when people say this is good and that is not. All artists that were known for their work, made something that was "not allowed". They made something new and special because they didn't listen to the "rules of art". Art should never have rules.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

As an artist, I have to say that all art is about interpretation. I hate when people say this is good and that is not. All artists that were known for their work, made something that was "not allowed". They made something new and special because they didn't listen to the "rules of art". Art should never have rules.
Jackelyn Olayon Elgario
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackelyn-olayon-elgario.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jackelyn Olayon Elgario »

Yes of course!
It is like a song, but the music will be based on the heart of the reader.
Have you ever read the Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll? Please read and you will be amazed.
It is one of a kind.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

It depends on the interpretation of the reader. Poetry is a subjective written form of art and literature, anyway. No, it is not all about interpretation. It could be appreciated just by its quality and creative wording no matter how vague it may be to read or see to some people.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

In my opinion, interpretation is the essence of poetry, especially when it comes to the reader's perspective.

Return to “Poetry & Music”