Thoughts on the popularity of kpop

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Kedisha Graham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kedisha-graham.html
Latest Review: The War of the Cha'cict by Terrence E. Scott

Thoughts on the popularity of kpop

Post by Kedisha Graham »

I know a few kpop fans that view the growing popularity of kpop as a negative because of how over saturated the industry has become.

What are your thoughts? Is it something bad, good or do you think it is just what it is.
human reader

Post by human reader »

I see it as a positive because it encourages people to try music they otherwise might not.
Karen Gurtiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-gurtiza.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by Karen Gurtiza »

Groundbreaking. The rhythm and style are swaying, relatable and youthful.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I believe that K-pop deserves its popularity. I believe that there must be diversity in music, and Korean pop is the perfect addition to everyone's playlist. In fact, it ranks third among the music genres I enjoy and listen to.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Music will never be a problem. The only thing I see negative is the mental problems that many idols have had due to toxic fans
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

Great music but the industry remains hell bent on exploiting the artists.
Taxel

Post by Taxel »

I am a firm believer in each to their own, live and let live, you don't spar about taste and all that. Buuuut.... I don't really care for it. I guess it's a bit of a sore spot, because I seem to have lost friends over it lol. I guess they weren't friends to begin with if when they switch a music genre they kinda forget about you, but yeah. The big KPOP boom killed some other fandoms and that's sad. I don't have any malice towards it though.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

Based on the nature of this post, I’m going to assume that you mean the Western World’s adoption of the K-pop phenomenon. There are amazing and compromising elements to it. The good part is that it expands influence and creativity to places in the world that may have previously overlooked its potential. It jostles cultural norms, raises inadvertent questions to the way a society is targeted for marketing, broadens the musical landscape, and sheds light on the unique developments of artistry in different cultures. The downside to this—as with any trend or group that gains mass popularity—is that it raises stakes for the people involved in making the content. There are quite a few sources out there that will indicate how poorly group members are treated. As expectations increase, so does pressure, and that will take a toll on anyones psyche.

There’s also the risk that the music genre evolves into a “trendy” category and becomes part of a generational thing without standing the test of time. You could say that about any music genre though, so I don’t know if that’s specific to K-pop.
Book Review Tub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-review-tub.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Book Review Tub »

I do not think it is bad. They are making great music, so there.
kimjeon_12

Post by kimjeon_12 »

Kpop deserve all the hype and as a listener of different music genres, kpop has it's way to connect people. Just like what BTS said, "There is no language barrier when it comes to music. We also listen to songs of various languages that we don't understand."
Keysman

Post by Keysman »

I'm not fond of it but I support anyone who does. This might be an ignorant comment specially because I ignore much of the Kpop culture but it looks like to me like the "boys band" trend in the late 90's and early 2000's, I've heard many talk negative of Kpop while defending this boy bands era and it just baffles me..... how is that one is supported and the other not. Anyways, yep without being fond of it I like it, I'd listen to a song or two (some are pretty catchy xD) and if the wife is watching a video I'd join her casually.
Keysman

Post by Keysman »

Adrian Rondon Salazar wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 05:02 Music will never be a problem. The only thing I see negative is the mental problems that many idols have had due to toxic fans
Oh! I'm surprised to read this as I had no idea, can you elaborate a bit please? What behavior are toxic fans having and how is that is causing mental problems to these singers?
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

I generally perceive that something in particular becoming overly popular is not healthy, but otherwise, I don't mind the industry.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

K-pop is a genre, and I think the industry has become quite saturated in the last few years. But I don't see this oversaturation as inherently negative.

Instead, the focus has shifted from recognizing artists or groups for their musical talent. Now, the emphasis appears to be on visuals and follower count.

And that has arguably resulted in a decline in the overall quality of music.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Bron Bakers »

I do not like kpop. My sisters do so I'm happy for the kpop singers. They deserve it for their hard work.

Return to “Poetry & Music”