Poem: UNREQUITED

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Vimbai Murindagomo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vimbai Murindagomo »

This night
Of silent expectation
Caught up
In a tide of passion
My heart
Shall not be denied
This night

I am praying
Cupid's arrow
Convey my compliments
To your heart
This night

Restless
As I am
I am fleeing
My days
Of loneliness
Towards there
Where
Morning finds me
In the presence
Of heart's desire

Praying
Heaven above
See me safely
Across
This voyage
I must journey
Is a milestone
That must in time
Weigh me down
Into the prison
Of your
Heart

For a lifetime's
sentence
I seek no release
So throw away the keys
And I
Am forever
Yours

Written by Vimbai Murindagomo
Sandhya Sharma 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sandhya Sharma 2 »

Vimbai Murindagomo's "UNREQUITED" is a touching and sentimental examination of unrequited love. The poet explores the depths of longing, passion, and the yearning for a love that will always be out of reach via exquisitely penned lyrics.

The poem starts with a night of quiet expectation, laying the groundwork for the intense feelings that come next. The reader's attention is immediately captured by the visual of being swept up in a wave of passion, which elicits a sense of urgency and intensity. The phrase "This night" is repeated several times, highlighting the importance of the situation and the speaker's resolve.
The author deftly uses references to prayer and Cupid's arrow to capture the intensity of their longing. They ask for their honest sentiments to be heard by the intended receiver with a sense of vulnerability and optimism. A sense of yearning and the willingness to go to great distances for love are evoked by the juxtaposition of restlessness and running away from loneliness, which increases the emotional complexity of the poem.
The poem uses powerful and memorable imagery throughout. The speaker paints a clear image of their unrelenting pursuit as they go towards the object of their desire, which is portrayed as a milestone. The beloved's heart serves as a figurative prison, displaying the depth of their dedication and readiness to be trapped by unrequited love for all of time. The request to "throw away the keys" reaffirms the speaker's resolve to entirely give up and be faithful forever.

The beautiful, sincere, and sensitive writing of Vimbai Murindagomo perfectly captures the spirit of unrequited love. The poem flows easily, and the enjambment technique helps to emphasise the urgency and the continuous flow of the speaker's emotions. The poem's succinctness increases its effect and gives it a strong emotional punch.
The poem's intensity and exclusive concentration on unrequited love, however, might be a too much for some readers to handle. The poem's appeal might be restricted to individuals who are particularly drawn to the subject matter due to the lack of a larger framework or an investigation of other issues. Additionally, the lack of punctuation might make readers pause and consider the focus and flow of the verses.

In conclusion, the poem "UNREQUITED" explores the depths of unrequited love in a compelling and moving manner.

Return to “Poetry & Music”