Learning to play a musical instrument

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-smith-18.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Sea by Nina Purtee

Learning to play a musical instrument

Post by Sandra Smith 18 »

Has anyone ever tried to learn to play a new musical instrument by watching lessons on YouTube or a similar video instruction? I'm wondering if this would be a good way to learn to play a different instrument since I've already played one instrument and read music for many years. What are your thoughts? If you tried this method, how did it go?
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

I think YouTube (and the internet) are incredible tools for learning new skills. Still, I can't imagine anyone learning to play an instrument very well from YouTube videos. At least the basics must have been learned from lessons with a competent professional. Of course, this is my layman's opinion, and I could be wrong.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Do Thi Huong »

I tried to learn to play the ukulele from a Youtube channel before, and I think it's totally possible to learn from Youtube if you just play for fun. The guy I followed had this whole series of beginner lessons, starting from scratch. And there are tons of other resources like that on YouTube too. It's definitely a great place to start.
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:

Do Thi Huong wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:04 I tried to learn to play the ukulele from a Youtube channel before, and I think it's totally possible to learn from Youtube if you just play for fun. The guy I followed had this whole series of beginner lessons, starting from scratch. And there are tons of other resources like that on YouTube too. It's definitely a great place to start.
Thanks for your input Do! I hope you had fun learning to play the ukulele. I tried out a ukulele a few months ago when I visited a guitar store. I think they are interesting and maybe easier to learn, but I still prefer the guitar over the ukulele. I think you are right about YouTube being a great resource to start. One could get a taste of what learning a particular instrument would involve before investing in traditional in-person lessons.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Do Thi Huong »

Sandra Smith 18 wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 18:50
I think they are interesting and maybe easier to learn, but I still prefer the guitar over the ukulele.
Yup, I totally agree with you :D
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I've always had interest in playing keyboard. I wish I find someone who will teach me.
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:

Tobiloba Christiana wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 12:37 I've always had interest in playing keyboard. I wish I find someone who will teach me.
Thank you for your response! I, too, have had an interest in playing piano/keyboards for a long time. There are many videos online for piano lessons if you search for "learn to play piano free." Someday, I hope to purchase a small keyboard and give it a try with the free video lessons. I'm not wanting to be a professional pianist, so I think the free videos would be helpful and fun. I hope you are successful in your keyboard pursuits! :)
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

I tried learning to play the ukulele on YouTube. I have played several instruments prior, including the guitar and I thought it would be super easy to learn but I ended up giving it up after a few days. My motivation totally drained and I couldn't manage it. However, the internet is an incredible tool for learning so I think if you're dedicated, it would be easy. Especially with your previous music history.
Happy learning!
Also, what instrument were you hoping to learn?
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Anna Surdziel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-surdziel.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Anna Surdziel »

I tried to learn guitar that way. It only partially worked for me. At the beginning I had no idea where to start. There are more videos teaching guitar than necessary, witch ultimately led to my confusion. Because of this I took lessons for about 2 months, after witch I learnt the basics and could continue learning by myself off of youtube :D
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:

Ambar Gill wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 18:22 I tried learning to play the ukulele on YouTube. I have played several instruments prior, including the guitar and I thought it would be super easy to learn but I ended up giving it up after a few days. My motivation totally drained and I couldn't manage it. However, the internet is an incredible tool for learning so I think if you're dedicated, it would be easy. Especially with your previous music history.
Happy learning!
Also, what instrument were you hoping to learn?
Thank you for sharing Ambar. I hope you will give the ukulele another chance someday and be successful with it! I am hoping to learn acoustic guitar and also piano. I don't have instruments yet, but hope to purchase in the near future.
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:

Anna Surdziel wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 07:12 I tried to learn guitar that way. It only partially worked for me. At the beginning I had no idea where to start. There are more videos teaching guitar than necessary, witch ultimately led to my confusion. Because of this I took lessons for about 2 months, after witch I learnt the basics and could continue learning by myself off of youtube :D
Thank you for sharing that Anna. I think your strategy of taking lessons first to get the basics down is a good one. I hope you have great success with the guitar!
michael dunlea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michael dunlea »

The single easiest way to learn to play an instrument is to take lessons. Books will show you the basics, but only take you so far. Once you have established an instrument such as guitar, Instagram has a plethora of accounts that show you little solo licks with notation that you can save and mimic to enhance your skills.

Return to “Poetry & Music”