what's your idea of a "good song"?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Lenifty02
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenifty02.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

what's your idea of a "good song"?

Post by Lenifty02 »

Most people say all songs are good, it all depends on the listeners taste. However, a few others think not all songs should be sold in society.
I've been having this conflict with myself for a while about what kind of songs would be generally accepted to listen to.

I personally think what makes a good song is how well it speaks to the listener's soul. However, this idea could also be hinged on my love for soul music. So I'm asking for everyone's opinion on this.

What do you think meets the required standard for a good song? And what are those standards if any?
mlanario08
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mlanario08 »

Well i think you can actually say if a song is good if the content of it reaches the heart of the listeners. It gives positive vibes.
ItsYourBoiGabriel

Post by ItsYourBoiGabriel »

Have a good heart and speak with your heart to embrace your mind to sing with music.
Zeegirl1

Post by Zeegirl1 »

A good song is like a rich food that has a lot of things going on in there. It should have a message and good lyrics to touch the heart
Jessica Nobles

Post by Jessica Nobles »

A "good song" for me is one in which I can hear and feel the artist emotion. I prefer older music such as 80's and 90's hip hop and r&b because the artist did not hide behind the music. They allowed their lyrics to speak louder than the beat. Today's music the beat is the important aspect of a song and you hardly can hear what the artist is talking about and further more the artist don't be talking about anything meaningful. So for me, I prefer great lyrics that are poetic and deep yet understandable with a sound that will enhance the feel of the words. A good song can be sung A Capella and still make you feel the lyrics or vise versa. All and all a good song makes you feel.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Very good question! I find great lyrics that are taken straight from matters of the heart meets the required standard for a good song that pulls on my heart strings, which are my personal standards. :eusa-think:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Marina00

Post by Marina00 »

A good song is a song that can touch people and connect with its people. A song that has meaning or emotions. A song of which can make the listener or audience think or which makes an audience be more of themselves. It’s doesn’t mention the imaginary or the happily ever after, it’s portrays about reality. That’s what a good song is all about.
Lenifty02
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenifty02.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Lenifty02 »

Jessica Nobles wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 13:01 A "good song" for me is one in which I can hear and feel the artist emotion. I prefer older music such as 80's and 90's hip hop and r&b because the artist did not hide behind the music. They allowed their lyrics to speak louder than the beat. Today's music the beat is the important aspect of a song and you hardly can hear what the artist is talking about and further more the artist don't be talking about anything meaningful. So for me, I prefer great lyrics that are poetic and deep yet understandable with a sound that will enhance the feel of the words. A good song can be sung A Capella and still make you feel the lyrics or vise versa. All and all a good song makes you feel.

My thoughts exactly. Music today is like all beats but no sound. You can barely hear what makes it Music and funny enough those are the ones that go viral and people love 'em.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I think it depends on the person. I dont like rap but some people think its the greatest and there are songs I like that other people think are complete garbage. Everyone has different tastes. Ive heard songs that have lyrics that look like they were written by a 5 year old and some by bad musicians but I liked them. On the other hand, I have heard million seller songs by the best songwriters and musicians in the world and i didnt care for them at all. It just depends what gets into a person's soul so to speak.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Allison Mikaelson

Post by Allison Mikaelson »

To me, it has to be meaningful. It has to make me feel what the singer is feeling at that moment in time. It also has to have rhythm. It can't be something that has a beat and no words. The lyrics have to remind me of something personal.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

A good song is a combination of a lot of things. The lyrics should be touching, but the melody should be as well. I like a song that makes you think.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

A good song to me is when an artist tells a story and tells it in a way that capture's it's emotion with music and moves you to a different place, especially if you've never experienced what their talking about, but can still feel the emotion.
Nathan Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-okafor.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nathan Okafor »

For me, the idea I have about a good song is that a good song should have a definite meaning and a good structure. For people to say yes, this song is good they must have listened to it and understood what the song is all about. That's the idea I have about a good song.
Pritha Banerjee
Currently Reading: Some Prefer Nettles
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Pritha Banerjee »

A good song is that which exhumes phenomenal adherence to life, reality and picked up issues. Relating to perfection is a failure for the song, as it doesn't convince the mass of its originality and uniqueness. It should read apart, disturb or alter circumstances. It should change moods, perceptions, ideas or it should be able to express the same in its own different way. I would perceive art as it comes, in its own pace and environ.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

A good song for me promotes a good cause. It must be meant to soothe a hurting heart, provide motivation for success and last but not least it must teach spiritual and moral values. It must also be well arranged so that most people who listen to it, will want to hear it play repeatedly.

Return to “Poetry & Music”