what's your idea of a "good song"?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Re: what's your idea of a "good song"?

Post by imSunshine »

Good song should have meaningful lyrics, strong content, and of course clear and upbeat tune
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I think a song should mean something, it should tell a story. It shouldn't just be a repetitive collection of a few lines. If an artist is putting out a song with a story, especially one that's personal to them, it conveys feeling better.
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

A song that perfectly suits your mood- that you connect to you at the right time, at the right moment.
Iibiba
Currently Reading:

Post by Iibiba »

A song that lifts the soul, body and spirit.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I think a good song is one that resonates with you. It tells you a story and just sounds right to your ears. It allows you to express yourself and gives voice to your feelings. I think all those things are important factors.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

I am really selective about the songs that I listen to. These days, songs are not very quality. Sometimes I feel like I am taking a dive and its too shallow, so I hit my head on the bottom. The songs that I love are deep and fulfilling. I can take a dive and then swim some more to the bottom. Sometimes I can’t even find the bottom.
Songs with one beat behind the lyrics drive me crazy. Songs with many beats and melodies give the song flavor and substance.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Natilia123

Post by Natilia123 »

A "good song" is a song that tells a story, or is something that the listener can relate to, if a song dosent have a point and is just a bunch of words then you can't call it a good song. A good song needs to be able to make you feel something, it can be joy or sadness or even anger but if the listener doesn't truly feel something then it's not a good song. Another sign of a good song is it's a song that you can play in 5 or 10 years or even more and people still know it and still love it. If it becomes a timeless classic then you know it's a "good song".🎶
precious grenada

Post by precious grenada »

First, I think music is much more important than lyrics. If you have good music, many times you don't even lyrics. If you have good music, many times people will love your song and never know what the lyric say. They may find out years later and be surprised by what was being said in the song. you can have nonsense lyrics. so no Matter if they have song that shouldn't be out people are still going to listen to the songs because they might like something about the song.
books_andpoetrii
Currently Reading: Crazy Rich Asians
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetrii.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by books_andpoetrii »

Relatable and deep lyrics
Amazing melody and rhythm
:tiphat:
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

:coffee3-smiley: This is an absolutely lovely topic. A good song to me really depends on your mood. I live in the Caribbean so a good soca for the carnival season would be one that makes you want to move. Whereas an R and B may be suitable or good that makes you remisce or think lovely thoughts of your loved one.
cyberyamato12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by cyberyamato12 »

Everyone has a different taste of music and I don't blame anyone if that didn't suit their taste. some like it faster, others like it a little bit slower. but for me on the other hand, its all the combination of instruments used, the speed, how the instruments are properly arranged in the song all with the proper timing where they fit the most as well some parts that need to catchy. there are many factors to consider for a good song even if it's just a simple song with not so much going on, to others maybe they might consider it good.
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

A good song for me really depends on your mood, where you are etc. I am from the Caribbean so i love my soca music, reggae etc. When in the carnival season i wanf to hear calypso and soca music no randb, just soca music.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I love meaningful, deep lyrics, strong vocals, and awesome guitar riffs. A good drum beat also helps.

"Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin is a prime example, as is "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Andria_a7135

Post by Andria_a7135 »

A good song for me is one that I can completely relate to. My music playlist is really bipolar. I constantly have mixed emotions. You can always tell how a person is feeling by their taste in music.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I'd say any song that makes me feel emotions. Doesn't matter if the emotions are good or bad, as long as it has the power to move me to be better. :)

Return to “Poetry & Music”