Does music reflect life or life reflect music?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Does music reflect life or life reflect music?

Post by Tbunde5 »

In 1969, Charles Manson and his “family” committed a series of gruesome murders. On the walls of the crime scenes they wrote “Helter Skelter,” a reference to the Beatles song by the same name. That started a media frenzy against not only the Beatles but all popular music, claiming that rock and roll caused people to act out, like the Family. Others, notably the artists themselves, argued that music is simply a reflection of life. Through the generations this question seems to remain.
So, what do you think? Do people behave a certain way because of the music they listen to? Or does music simply mirror the way that people behave?
AmandaLynn77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AmandaLynn77 »

People tend to be attracted to music that speaks to something within them, with that I would say music reflects life
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

AmandaLynn77 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 00:01 People tend to be attracted to music that speaks to something within them, with that I would say music reflects life
I'd agree with the amendment that some people use music to change their life by changing their mood or activity level. I just finished reviewing A Good Boy and music choice was a continuing theme throughout the book. The music did reflect his life but it also shaped his life.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

AmandaLynn77 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 00:01 People tend to be attracted to music that speaks to something within them, with that I would say music reflects life
I agree 100%.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Music reflects life because people express themselves based on what happens to them in life.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I agree to the previous comments. Music reflects life. Likewise, music can also be considered a text. Every reader is allowed his own interpretation; thus, how one particular song is interpreted by one person may be different to how it is interpreted by another. And in your example, I don't think it's fair to conclude that they massacred people because the Beatles song told them to. Rather the Beatles song probably reminded them about a not-so-happy past or their current struggles in life. This is just my take though :)
Celestgrant

Post by Celestgrant »

I feel as though this goes both ways because sometimes the music is written based on something that has happened to the song writter before, or it’s something they are going to have happen or they want it to happen or that’s just what they think of them selfs
ReadingMonster

Post by ReadingMonster »

Music reflects life. I am a song writer every words, every verses that I put in my songs are based in my life and experiences.Every song has their own meaning, has their own essense. If you listen to various singers such as Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and many more you can see how they encounter life. Music is a mirror that reflect ourselves who we really are.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I think it depends on the person and situation. Some people are brought to feel and behave because they are influenced by the music they listen to, others tend to listen a certain kind of music because of their past life experiences. I wouldn't condemn the song writer if his song has been misinterpreted, although I recognize there are few songs with a bad message.
Tobzzaina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Tobzzaina »

Music brings sound to life
Lutius
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Lutius »

Strongly believe music reflect life
Galaxy29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Galaxy29 »

To me, music reflects life. It's as simple as the question 'Which came first, the egg or the chicken?' Without life you wouldn't even know that music itself existed.
Lutius
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Lutius »

Music reflect life because it serves as a way of sending message accr
Katrina Johnson

Post by Katrina Johnson »

I believe that life reflects music. People deal with different things in life_situations that create a rhythm and collection of words to demonstrate the pains, joys, laughter, rage, etc. Whats inside will be displayed in some visible way...for some, through music.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I believe that music reflects life, not just that it reflects life it shapes peoples behaviour.
Xancode

Return to “Poetry & Music”