Official Interview: Cheryl Kerr

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Cheryl Kerr

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Cheryl Kerr author of SandPeople, the March 2024 book of the month.

View Official Review

View Kindle edition

View book of the month discussion

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What does success as a writer look like to you?

A successful writer, to me, is one who finds a niche or angle and tells it so that readers like the story you wrote and why.

2. How do you balance the demands of writing with other responsibilities?

I like to write when it is quiet so I often write in the early or late hours. And the bits of time available during my days I use for adding my notes to one central place.

3. Let's discuss your book SandPeople. Can you give us a short synopsis?

SandPeople is a book written with two main storylines. Its readership is Middle Grade/YA and adults have liked it as well. SandPeople's main character, Lea, is twelve, which is the age of growing up, I think. It is in this story. In the storyline of seeing something she wants to find an explanation for, she learns to be true to herself. In telling about her family's pending changes, she learns that others have needs, too, and how to handle change.

4. Where did the inspiration for the story come from?

I was on the Texas coast, where SandPeople is set, and got to listening to people tell and talk about ships, ghosts and things found along the beach.

5. Lea's parents are separating. Did you include that to teach children about divorce and separation?

Good question, thank you! I wrote that to show that sometimes there are changes we cannot control and that those can be hard on several people. That storyline has connected with a lot of adults whose families went through a separation and resonates with the feelings Lea has in SandPeople.

6. Do you see any of yourself in Lea?

I do; her sense of herself and learning to trust that and continue her own belief and path as she discovers the area's history and solves the puzzle that is SandPeople.

7. There are so many books for children this age. How did you make yours stand out?

I think I caught two good emotions in SandPeople, the sadness and adjustment of family changes, and the fact that twelve is time for growing up and choosing your direction. This is Lea's story of learning how to handle different places, people, and relationships. But other characters grow, too. Also, SandPeople came out in the summer of Covid, and the lessons it offers on handling things we cannot stop from happening connected well with readers going through that very same thing.

8. What's next? Any more books in the works?

Yes, I'm working on another Across Time book, a different time period but the characters are coming along well. I enjoy researching and weaving stories.

9. What advice would you give to upcoming authors?

Write for loving it, and read a lot. Keep a notebook of why you like a book or author.

I like to end with fun questions.

10. Which book from your childhood is your favorite?

I have a shelf of my well-worn books; they range from To Kill A Mockingbird to Fog Magic, Misty of Chincoteague, animal stories for sure.

11. If you were free of your responsibilities, what would you do for a summer?

If only! I would explore new places.

12. If you could live anywhere, where would you live and why?

I do love beaches so somewhere near the sea, and I'd have a horse. Those are both favorites of mine.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kaitlin Bryant
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

I really enjoyed SandPeople! This interview made me appreciate it even more. Really cool that she got the inspiration by listening to locals tell stories.
Thanks for this really cool interview!
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Pioneering Nonprofit AI Initiatives: A Guide to Generational Diversity, Ethics, and Collaboration by Ainsley K. Hines
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

It is a great interview. I agree, authors should find their angle, and tell their story. It is choosing a position and share it with the world.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

What a wonderful interview! Glad to know that this book is set on the Texas coast - one of my favorite places. I'll check it out.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

It was such a nice interview, and I'm glad to check it out.
NAOH spencer
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 37
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by NAOH spencer »

Your book "SandPeople" sounds like a thoughtful and engaging read, especially with its focus on themes that resonate with both young readers and adults. It's great to hear that you're working on another book in the "Across Time" series! If you ever need feedback or support with your writing, feel free to reach out.
Nasir Shaikh
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasir-shaikh.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Nasir Shaikh »

I loved reading the interview, and also liked the answers of the author. The book was a great, great job to the author.
I value the learning process through feedback. If you have a moment, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on my work to help me enhance my skills. :tiphat:
Sweeter Parker
Currently Reading:

Post by Sweeter Parker »

The answers of the author were incredibly insightful and interesting. I loved hearing their point of view. This was indeed a lovely interview!!
Penn Leigh
Favorite Book: The Alone Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Penn Leigh »

I enjoyed this interview and was glad the question was asked about how she got the idea for {I}Sandpeople{/I]. I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas and coincidently grew up just north of Tidewater, VA. It was a neat connection for me as a reader because the settings were so well described! She did a really good job with sharing the feeling of the locations with us. I have always enjoyed mysteries and I enjoyed this one as an adult too. I think it would have been a very popular book passed along among my friends if I had had it in upper elementary school when my circle of friends were sharing books we had discovered with each other.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

There is a lot of lessons in "SandPeople". Children will learn that life is tough and you need to take responsibility at tough times. A good read for growing children.
Hermus Kyle John

Post by Hermus Kyle John »

I must say there is a whole lot of lessons to learn in "SandPeople". Children learns that life is not as easy as they thought and you need to take full responsibility at hard times. A must read for all children who needs to grow up well.
PAMELA MUGENI
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by PAMELA MUGENI »

I like this discussion as an inspiring writer currently working on my book It has given me an insight of who a good author should look for. We should always aim for our best like Biblical Abel
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great Interview! This book is written about the Texas coast and I live only 40 minutes in from the Texas coast at South Padre Island. The Island is one of my favorite places to visit. The author did a wonderful job writing this book and I think that it appeals to readers of all ages.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “Author Interviews”