Featured Interview: Ian P. Eviston

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Testing
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Featured Interview: Ian P. Eviston

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Ian P. Eviston, author of Demonslayer, book of the month in July 2024.

View Official Review

View Kindle edition on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)

View on OBC Bookshelves

***************************************************************************************************************************************
1. How did you get into writing?

I started writing silly short stories in eighth grade and was encouraged by my teacher at the time to pursue it further. I poured countless hours into writing a terrible book while in college, scrapped it, fell in love with the process, and started writing this series not long after.

2. What does your writing environment look like?

During the week I like to write near our plants at home, but on the weekend I'll head to a library. There's also a coffee shop called Quill's near me that I really enjoy writing at on a Sunday morning.

3. Let's discuss your book Demonslayer. Can you give us a quick synopsis for those that don't know?

Sure! It's a fantasy novel set in a world where a race of demons have to eat the magic of the world to survive. Humans naturally have a lot of it, which brings demons to war with humans. The story follows Spirit, whose sister is dying of leukemia. He learns that if he joins the front lines of the war against the demons, they'll pay for her treatment. It has elements of found family, with a lot of heart and action mixed into it.

4. How long did it take you to write this book?

About three years. I started with building the world, and the story and characters came after.

5. There are starving demons in the book. How did you come up with such a unique concept?

I wanted to take something we typically view as evil and add some compassion to them. The demons are a species trying to survive like any other, and throughout the book, you see things from their perspective. Glimpses of their culture and struggles.

6. The reviewer mentions that the book is non-stop from start to finish. Was it difficult to keep up the pace throughout the book?

I had so much fun writing this book. Even between the action sections, I loved writing the slower chapters that developed the characters, and the chapters that built upon the world. I hope every reader feels the same energy reading it as I did when I wrote it! I don't think that answered your question, but that may be the best answer I can give.

7. Which character was your favorite to write? Which one didn't you like as much?

I look forward to every chapter with Dimitri and Skylar involved. Writing them is a joy. To answer your second question, I don't dislike writing Sorin...but my disdain for him as a person can make it difficult sometimes.

8. This is the first in the series. How many are planned and which ones are out?

There will be five in total. The third book of the series Godsend comes out in mid-June!

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your favorite popular fantasy franchise?

I'll read anything Joe Abercrombie writes. I'm also a big fan of The Witcher, and consider myself an expert on all things Tolkien/Lord of the Rings.

10. Have you ever Googled yourself?

I have, and I actually pop up! Not many Eviston's out there.

11. Social Media. Love it or hate it?

It's a necessary evil. If anyone sees me posting anything, just know there was some misery involved.

12. What's your favorite meal to cook? To eat?

I can cook a mean bowl of cereal. My favorite food is anything seafood. Especially oysters.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Leona Rodrigues
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

Reading this interview, this book seems interesting with a unique idea, so I headed straight to Amazon to look for it. But unfortunately, it looks like it's not available in my country yet. Hopefully, it will be accessible soon, as I'm eager to delve into its intriguing stories.
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.
George Okello 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-okello-2.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by George Okello 2 »

A nice interview
Teecon Hamza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
2024 Reading Goal: 77
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Teecon Hamza »

This is really nice. Seeing how long it took him to complete the book reminds me that it could take a long while to write a book. I really needed the reminder so I don't rush the process when I finally decide to start writing one.

I look forward to reading the book though.
Ashik Babu John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Ashik Babu John »

Ian P. Eviston is a young author who has gained recognition for his work, particularly his novel "Demonslayer," which has been selected as the book of the month for July. At just 19 years old, Eviston is a college student at the University of Louisville, showcasing his passion for writing and fantasy novels. He has completed his first novel, demonstrating his dedication to his craft.

Eviston has been featured in interviews, including one with John Ramsey of WAVE 3 Listens Live!, where he discusses his inspirations and writing process. These interviews offer a glimpse into his creative mind and provide insight into the world he has created in his writing.
Last edited by Ashik Babu John on 28 May 2024, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Marie Vallarta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-vallarta.html
Latest Review: Love Hate Law by Mark M. Bello

Post by Marie Vallarta »

Look forward to reading the first in the series as I find that demons can be extremely, interesting characters.

Also, I completely relate to Ian's view on social media. :wink2:
Edisons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edisons »

:D
Leona Rodrigues wrote: 25 May 2024, 15:50 Reading this interview, this book seems interesting with a unique idea, so I headed straight to Amazon to look for it. But unfortunately, it looks like it's not available in my country yet. Hopefully, it will be accessible soon, as I'm eager to delve into its intriguing stories.
Edisons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edisons »

This is really nice. Seeing how long it took him to complete the book reminds me that it could take a long while to write a book. I really needed the reminder so I don't rush the process when I finally decide to start writing one.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Silo 42: Deception by Zev Paiss
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 660%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your insights. It is interesting to know that you created the world first and then the characters came in. It is like writing the music and then adding the words. Also, the demon with compassion creates an innovative element. I am curious about working in different environments during the week days and at the weekend.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Joshua Sawders »

It's refreshing to know that you acknowledge the need for survival for every creature, humans and demons alike. A lot of human activities poses severe threats to some other creatures, I guess they call us demons too
ali khan 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ali khan 36 »

nice one
GOURAV THAKKAR
Favorite Book: Quest: Finding Freddie
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by GOURAV THAKKAR »

Going through this interview, this book seems interesting with a creative and amazing idea to help th young writer so I headed straight to Amazon to look for it and i found it there , it is accessible .I had gone through it and had amazing experience towards it. hope it will also help others to achieve something.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Ashik Babu John wrote: 28 May 2024, 10:03 Ian P. Eviston is a young author who has gained recognition for his work, particularly his novel "Demonslayer," which has been selected as the book of the month for July. At just 19 years old, Eviston is a college student at the University of Louisville, showcasing his passion for writing and fantasy novels. He has completed his first novel, demonstrating his dedication to his craft.

Eviston has been featured in interviews, including one with John Ramsey of WAVE 3 Listens Live!, where he discusses his inspirations and writing process. These interviews offer a glimpse into his creative mind and provide insight into the world he has created in his writing.
Hi Ashik Babu John,

I appreciate your post highlighting Ian P. Eviston's achievements with "Demonslayer." It's impressive to see such talent and dedication in a young author, especially one balancing college life at the University of Louisville. Having read "Demonslayer," I was captivated by the action-packed storyline and the intricate world of magic and demons that Eviston created. His ability to make readers sympathize with both humans and demons is remarkable. However, the book does have some issues with perspective shifts and editing, which can be distracting. Despite these flaws, I found the characters and the world-building engaging and can't wait to see how Eviston's writing evolves. His interviews, like the one with John Ramsey, provide valuable insights into his creative process, making me even more excited for his future projects. Eviston's potential is undeniable, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from this talented young author.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:

Leona Rodrigues wrote: 25 May 2024, 15:50 Reading this interview, this book seems interesting with a unique idea, so I headed straight to Amazon to look for it. But unfortunately, it looks like it's not available in my country yet. Hopefully, it will be accessible soon, as I'm eager to delve into its intriguing stories.
Hi Leona,

It's unfortunate that the book isn't available in your country yet. I hope it becomes accessible to you soon because it's definitely worth the read despite some editing issues. Once it’s available, be prepared for an engaging, albeit sometimes gory, adventure. The character dynamics and the unexpected turns in the story make it a standout fantasy novel.

Fingers crossed it reaches you soon!
Last edited by Ram Uday Mahajan on 01 Jun 2024, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:

GOURAV THAKKAR wrote: 01 Jun 2024, 07:53 Going through this interview, this book seems interesting with a creative and amazing idea to help th young writer so I headed straight to Amazon to look for it and i found it there , it is accessible .I had gone through it and had amazing experience towards it. hope it will also help others to achieve something.
Hi Gourav Thakkar,

I'm thrilled you found *Demonslayer* as intriguing as I did! The book's unique premise and action-packed narrative really draw you in. Spirit's journey and the complex world-building make for an engaging read. I agree, it's great to see creative ideas from young authors being recognized and appreciated. Happy reading, and I hope you continue to enjoy the series as much as I have!

Return to “Author Interviews”