Official Interview: Randy Miller

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Randy Miller

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's chat with Sarah focuses on Randy Miller author of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath which was book of the month in November of 2019.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on the bookshelves, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To participate in the discussion, click here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Outside of writing, what do you do for fun?

For fun I hunt, ride motorcycles through the wild country of South Florida, go boating, and scuba dive.

2. Do you make your living as an author or do you have a separate job?

No job. Am a retired scuba instructor and commercial diver.

3. When you are writing, what does your typical day look like? Do you have a special typewriter or notepad you use?

When I write, I am driven and go at it day and night.

4. Let's discuss your book Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath. Zack enlists in the Navy and serves in the Vietnam War. Is Zack based on anyone in particular?

All of my characters are as real as real can be. That's all I'm going to say about it, but the judge for the 25th Annual Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Awards nailed it when he or she said, "Although categorized as historical 'fiction,' this story effects real-life accounts and events and locations and weaving them together by introducing a cast of believable characters whose experiences may reflect an amalgamation of real people."

5. This seems like a powerful book as it not only discusses the war itself but also the aftermath of the war (including things like Agent
Orange). How difficult was it for you to write this book?

Parts of it were quite difficult for me to write. Those of us who served in Vietnam quickly learned to bury our experiences upon our return. We were reviled. At the risk of quoting myself, the very country that sent us to war, now hated us for going. So in order to write this book, I had to climb into my time machine and open up many doors that I hadn't just closed, but nailed shut. At times it was a painful process.

6. How long did it take you to write this book and how much research went into it?

It took me 5 months to write the first of what I considered a good draft but all told it took me 4 long years and 50 days to get it to where I'm happy with it. I'd be willing to bet I personally edited it over 200 times. As an independent author, the responsibility for that rests solely with us, rather than a team of highly paid editors. Wouldn't that be nice, but poor editing is the bane of independently published books. As far as research, everything contained between Deadly Waters' covers is true. Much has been made of the research by my reviewers but you must remember, I lived this story. For example, my ship shelled Hue in the early days of the Tet Offensive, and I was on a ship sent to North Korea when the communists there kidnapped the USS Pueblo and her crew. Many of the experiences related in this book were unforgettable, and you can be sure those of us who went to war have relived them many times over the years like watching a bad movie in our dreams.

7. What is the number one most important thing you want your readers to walk away having learned from this book?

I want the readers to know the US Navy played a vital role in Vietnam and those of us who served on the waters there were warriors. And I want everyone to know the Veterans Administration sold us out. Right up until this very day, the Navy is the only branch of the military that is denied compensation for Agent Orange caused illnesses. It is by far the biggest injustice ever perpetrated on an entire class of the military by any branch of the government.

8. Do you have any more books in the works?

I never talk about my work until its finished. I do tend to be a tad superstitious about these things.

9. What was the most difficult part of the whole writing experience for you?

The most difficult part was keeping up with the flow. Before starting out, I knew the beginning, middle and end of this story, and it came out as fast as water out of a firehose.

I usually like to end on a few fun questions.

10. Can you tell us one of your most favorite memories?

I have been married twice and both marriages are my favorite memories. If you read my book you will know I am a hopeless romantic.

11. When you order Iced Tea, is it sweet or unsweet?

I don't order iced tea, I order beer.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a fascinating interview! I will be looking forward to reading this book and enjoying the BOTM discussions. The author has poured so much of himself into the text. The honest and personal information from this interview is motivational. Thanks so much.
Tony Norton 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tony Norton 2 »

This is so fascinating! An inside look at a chapter of history many want to forget.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I love real event stories and this interview shows that the author lived every moment that is written down.
I am very interested to read the book as it sounds very interesting!
Doris Nzeket
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nzeket.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Doris Nzeket »

I can't explain how are felt when the author said "I lived this story". It is like having the most dreadful experience all over again! We all keep and share good memories, but it takes a very good heart to expose bad experience. I have so much respect for this author for bringing such experience to light. I will definitely include "Deadly Waters" to my reading collections.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The interview is pretty interesting. Looking forward to reading his book, since I love historical fiction. Seems the book is very close to the author’s heart and he has related some of his experiences, mostly painful ones 🥹
Am Eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-am-eso.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Am Eso »

Reading this interview me want to read the book. I can't wait to find out more about the author's personality.
Ahmed Afifi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ahmed Afifi »

Excellent book
Hluma Kalimashe
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids

Post by Hluma Kalimashe »

The author knows the nuance of real life stories and the impact it has on readers
Hluma Kalimashe
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids

Post by Hluma Kalimashe »

The author knows the nuance of real life stories and the impact it has on readers
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

"I don't order iced tea, I order beer." That's cold...lol. The interview was interesting and it gives us readers the chance to understand the author, his motivation and challenges. This is a must read!
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Faiso wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 05:18 "I don't order iced tea, I order beer." That's cold...lol. The interview was interesting and it gives us readers the chance to understand the author, his motivation and challenges. This is a must read!
Haha… I agree!
thebabeseries

Post by thebabeseries »

Always interested in Vietnam because so many loved ones were there
Eleni Antonopoulou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

Great interview! What an interesting character.
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Return to “Author Interviews”