Follow-up Interview: Greg Kater (Skills of the Warramunga)

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Follow-up Interview: Greg Kater (Skills of the Warramunga)

Post by kandscreeley »

Good morning all those out there in computer land! It's time for another chat with Sarah. This time I had a talk with Greg Kater author of Skills of the Warramunga (among other books) which was book of the month for October 2019. We've already chatted about The Warramunga's War, book of the month in February 2019. To view that interview, click here.

To view the official review for Skills of the Warramunga, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To view the book of the month discussion, click here.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. In our first interview, you stated you were Australian but that you had worked in the US. From what you've seen of it, how do the two countries compare?

Australia and the USA have a lot more similarities than differences. Rule of law, freedom of speech, shared technologies, large landmass, shared global interests. These are the important things. There are also trivial differences. In some American towns I found it difficult to find a meal that didn’t have a bun wrapped around it. I have many American friends.

2. When you are writing, what does your daily routine look like?

My daily routine differs depending on what is happening in the family around me. Extensive research is important when writing historical fiction. After completing the necessary research, I try to complete about 500 words or more a day. It gives me time to think and correct what I have written.

3. Who or what has been the biggest influence on you as a person? As a writer?

As a person, I would have to say my wife and family have the biggest influence on me. As a writer, definitely my own experiences during my career in the resources industries around the world.

4. Let's talk about your book, Skills of the Warramunga. This is the third book in the trilogy, and it's set in Malaya. For those that don't know, can you tell us about the country?

The Malay Peninsula (old Malaya) is part of what is now the nation of Malaysia. It is one of the major countries of South East Asia. Having previously been a British colony, its parliament operates as a democracy under the Westminster system. It has a strong rule of law and a friendly multicultural population. A large proportion of the population speak English as well as Malay.

5. Did you actually get a chance to visit Malaya? If not, how did you make sure that the places were accurate?

I visited and worked in Malaysia several times throughout my career and travelled to most parts of the country. Many of the characters in my book (the good guys) are based on my close Malaysian friends. I used to speak a little Malay but have forgotten most of it now.

6. @Cecilia_L, the reviewer for this book, states that the dialects were written authentically. How difficult was it to make sure that the reader could hear these?

I am familiar with many dialects throughout South East Asia and amongst aboriginal groups in northern Australia. In my book, I have attempted to keep the written dialects as simple as possible so that readers can understand what is being said.

7. In our previous interview, you state that some of the characters are based on people you've known. Can you elaborate on that a bit?

In all my books, most of my characters are based on people I have befriended and/or have worked with over my long career in different parts of the world. This is part of the joy of writing, recalling all the interesting and funny things that occurred with colleagues during work in the field.

8. Being the third book in the series, was this book easier to write or harder to write than the other two? Why?

It was definitely easier to write than the first two books. I was more experienced in conducting research and in actual writing. All my books in this series take place in locations where I have visited or worked in. In the earlier books I had already established the principal characters and the period (1940’s).

9. Since we've last spoken, Conflict on the Yangtze should have been released. Surely that's not all from you, though?

No. I have, however, taken a break from the post-war adventures of Jamie Munro and Jack O’Brien and have started to write a book set in a completely different era. Around the 1840’s. It is based to a certain extent on the diaries of some of my own ancestors who migrated to Australia during that period. It is taking longer than my last couple of books as, apart from the diaries, I have had to start my historical research from scratch.

I may get back to my favourite 1940’s characters after the completion of this 5th novel.

10. @Kansas City Teacher would like to know: The bio on you indicates you were in the Australian mining business but does not say you have military experience. Your books are filled with details of the Philippines, and they are quite visual. How did you gather all that information on the culture?

I was born the day before the Second World War started so I was a bit young for that. My father fought in the Middle East and New Guinea during that war. My only military involvement has been in the Cadets and National Service.

In regard to the Philippines, I was Vice President and General Manager of a substantial mining company in the Philippines during the 1970’s. Throughout that time, I employed many Filipinos and visited almost every island in the Philippines (of which there are thousands). I was fluent in Tagalog and Cebuano, but I’m a bit rusty on those languages now. I have a lot of Filipino friends.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Wow, amazing interview. Thanks for sharing.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Thank you for posting this! So much research and interviewing involved with writing.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Thanks for the interview, it's given me more insight into the author.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Thank you for this. It gives us some insight to the author and to his stories.
Fidelismutuku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fidelismutuku.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Fidelismutuku »

I am looking forward to read the Skills of Warramunga. Thank you for the good work and congratulations Greg for a great book.
itsme_shahi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsme-shahi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by itsme_shahi »

This interview increased the tempo of excitement for reading the book (The Skills of Warramunga). Moreover, it also provides an insight into the thought process of the author and lays down his belief system and his frame of mind behind writing this book. Good interview indeed.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

This is very informative, thank you for the interview.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Willard Damn
Favorite Book: Endeavor’s Run
Currently Reading: Brooke's Bad Luck
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Willard Damn »

The interview is enlightening and sounds interesting.Thank you for the interview.
Metuschelah NAWEJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metuschelah-nawej.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Metuschelah NAWEJ »

:arrow: the very Good, speech...
Agaba Witness
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agaba-witness.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Agaba Witness »

In fact writing historical fiction is not easy. Visiting and working in Malaysia I believe is what helped Greg Cater to write "Skills of the Warramunga". It's a good work anyway. Congratulations!
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

This interview was incredible. What an interesting writing process this author has. Some food for thought.

Return to “Author Interviews”