Official Interview: Sam Brand

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Sam Brand

Post by kandscreeley »

Good day! Today's Chat with Sarah features Sam Brand author of Dolphins Don't Run Marathons.

To view the book on OBC bookshelves, click here.

To view the book on Amazon (free on Kindle Unlimited), click here.

1. What do you enjoy outside of writing?

As writing is not my primary work, after finishing writing my book came the question, "Now what do I do?"

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons led me to try helping people change for the good as we are intensely social creatures. There is a Chinese saying, “Happiness is found in helping others."

As I found my way being a Dolphin, I have found happiness in helping others.

2. All of us have to deal with rejection. How have you handled it and what's your advice to others in dealing with it?

As Dolphins are with great social intelligence and living in supportive communities, you need to surround yourself with supportive people.

Acknowledge your emotions; refuse to let rejection define them.

Do learn from rejections, and use them as an opportunity moving forward.

3. Let's discuss your book Dolphins Don't Run Marathons. How did you come up with the three categories in which you put people?

Concepts enable humans and animals to recognize the world in functional groups.

Some animals are way smarter than us.

Ants, Chimps and Dolphins are way smarter than us.

We humans like to think of ourselves as a special bunch, but it turns out that we have plenty in common with other animals.

4. The book discusses your own journey with running marathons. How did you become a human Dolphin (those that work hard and focus on running marathons)?

Well you must read the book to understand the Dolphin’s secret.

In honor of these friendly marine animals, once you understand the social structure of the Dolphin, you would want to be one.

5. Why did you decide to write about your journey?

Giving up something you have previously committed to isn’t an easy thing to do.

It’s about redefining your sporting world, but actually it’s all about redefining yourself and your life.

It’s all about living true just like the Dolphins do.

“Dolphins have been interacting with humans for as long as we have known of their existence."

Once you live “The Dolphin way of life” - healthy, happy and motivated - you are in the pattern for success.

6. Were you writing only for other runners or is there something here for everyone?

This book is about life. The theory about life is that life is beautiful. Life doesn’t change. We people change. People change with time.

It’s not about writing a book. It’s all about helping people change their lives.

Something amazing is out there happening when you tell people you wrote about running marathons and sports, but you actually wrote about helping people change their lives.

7. What's next for you? Another book?

As I felt that all those long runs were huge mistakes in life, I said to myself, “Just write the damned book already."

For me it’s the art of helping others, trying to help others who won’t help themselves.

You either have the book in you or you don’t.

As per myself, it’s not about focusing on writing one book at a time.

This book is the one, as I felt it urgent and important to tell the story that began to form in my mind, sharing the feelings with my readers. This book focuses on one idea. Changing your life.

As per myself, “If you could only read one book in your entire Life," I would say this is the one.

So I don’t see myself writing another.

I like to end on some sillier questions.

8. Which season is your favorite and why?

All year round is my favorite season. Sunshine and togetherness all year round. It’s like drinking rose wine all year round.

9. TV or books?

Do break away from your environment. As per myself let’s connect by meeting people and trying all sorts of adventures.

“If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.”

You can’t cross the sea merely by reading a book and watching TV. For me it’s like only staring at the Water.

10. What's your favorite food?

As you meet people in the world, for most the top three foods overall are pasta, meat and rice.

As for myself, it's all about the transition to vegetarian.

There are different labels you could give yourself based on what you do or don’t eat. As a Dolphin it’s all about knowing your nutrition.

11. Who's your role model?

A role model serves as an example to live a meaningful life, showing clear sets of values, committed to the community and accepting others

For me, my role model is the Dolphin in the book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I enjoyed reading the conversation and learned new things regarding happiness. Thank you.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I actually just finished reading this book and moved right on to the interview. It is interesting to hear what the book means to Sam as opposed to what I took away from the book. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ketbax »

It's interesting to see the commitment to the human categorizations. I was hoping this interview would shed light on the author's actual personality, but it feels like more of the same.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

Interesting interview... Sam sure has a special way of not answering questions.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle

Return to “Author Interviews”