Official Interview: Joe Field

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Joe Field

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Joe Field author of Finding Joe Adams.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. What was your favorite book or series when you were a kid or at least old enough to remember?

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I read it in my early 20s and remember thinking no human being could possibly have thought up such a story. It seemed as if the concepts of good versus evil, and the powerful contrasting characters, could not have come from a human mind without a heavenly assist.

2. What was the most difficult part of the writing process?

Trying to figure out the chronology of events and what to cut. At first I started from the very beginning of my life and simply presented it straight out. Then I changed it to start with my air flight to Houston, Texas to see my father for the first time, and I reflected on my life as we flew. Kinda like flashbacks built into present action. I liked that version, but the flashbacks were too many so I abandoned that approach. Lastly, in one version I started with the story of me finding my dad only, but that was a very short book. Trying to decide the chronology of the book was a great challenge and then deciding what to cut after it was written was a close second.

3. Let's discuss your book Finding Joe Adams. Tell us about that moment when you decided to write your life?

When I found my dad and new siblings, powerful emotions surfaced. When I spent a weekend getting to know them, I was taking in seven life stories from them (one sibling was not able to make it otherwise it would have been eight) but barely had moments to present my own life. I had daughters in their early twenties saying the little bit that I told of my past they were amazed at. And then I had three siblings on the east coast that I was separated from early in life where one member resented my mom for “abandoning” them. I wanted them to know our life wasn’t rosy growing up. All of this came together in that one great moment of finding my dad.

4. In the book, you talk about what it was like being raised by a single mother. What situation did you feel mostly keenly the lack of your father?

Well, not really having a father I was unsure of what fathers do. In Boy Scouts I noticed a number of scouts had fathers picking them up after meetings or sometimes attending events with them. This made me a bit envious. When it came to how to deal with girls that I liked in high school, I would have appreciated some fatherly guidance. In my book I also describe my first instance of shaving occurring when a ref interrupted my wresting match and gave me three minutes to shave or I would forfeit the match. No one ever talked to me about shaving. A dad would have helped with that. At least that is what I think.

5. Can you tell us about one of your favorite memories with your mother?

Thanksgiving. She made a feast! Pinto beans, Mexican spaghetti & tortillas were our normal staples at other times. We had that for meals three to four times a week. And for some strange reason, I have never tired of them. But at Thanksgiving she dispensed with these and presented traditional courses. A huge browned baked turkey, stuffing, cranberries, mash potatoes with gravy, corn and best of all—four or five pies! Here there were only four of us eating yet we had that many pies! That was a treasured time.

6. The reviewer mentions religion plays an important part in your life. How so?

Well, it didn’t early on. I was raised Catholic but a very disinterested one at that. In high school I connected with a Christian & Missionary Alliance church through a youth group hayride. That led me to stepping forward to accept Christ at a Brian Ruud event when in 9th grade. But nothing seemed to change, that is, for 19 years. Then at a very low moment in my life when I was in the 5th session of a one on one bible study called “Operation Timothy,” God met me in a 5 x 6 office. I was powerfully transformed which I speak more fully about in my book. I engaged in the Basic Life Principles course, Promise Keepers, Bible Study Fellowship & Cursillo, not to mention a number of private bible study groups. I was even once visited by a possible angel, an event that occurred before my “spiritual awakening”. When I wrote my book, much like those connect the numbers exercises where a picture is revealed after all the lines are drawn, I saw God at work throughout my life, in hindsight. This drove me to tears and I then decided I had to bring out this element more in my book. God, the Father of the fatherless.

7. Was writing the book a cathartic experience for you?

Absolutely. I actually addressed this above. I wrote the book in two months. Twenty drafts later here we are. At first the tears flowed when discovering my dad and when my new family greeted me on Facebook for the first time. As I said on Fox News that was one of the most powerful events of my life. But in writing the book, I cried tears of joy at finally recognizing that God had my back all those years, though I went through some pretty hard times. Those times made me stronger, wiser. Those experiences now provide me with a foundation for leadership. Humble in position, but wise in decision making, at least corporately speaking.

8. Do you have any other books planned? What's next for you on your writing journey?

Yes, I do. I actually have a political thriller 80% written. I started it over 15 years ago and wrote it in two years. Then I set it aside and completely rewrote it a couple years later. Now it has stayed dormant for over a decade. The relevance of that novel today is amazing. If I don’t finish writing it soon it could be come a reality. It’s about the state of Alaska attempting to secede from the United States due to overbearing gun possession laws. When the U.S. attempts to crack down, other states sympathetic to Alaska begin their own secession initiatives bringing the U.S. to the brink of a civil war. Then it gets worse. After the U.S. quarantines the Alaskan coastline, Alaska makes a deal with China, and now the China naval forces meet the U.S. naval forces bringing the world’s most powerful nations to the brink of a world war.

Now for some fun questions.

9. Do you like it hot or cold while you sleep?

Cold. Definitely. Probably the Minnesotan in me. Ha!

10. What's your ideal day?

Being in a simple fishing boat with temps in the upper 60s catching Crappies on a partly cloudy day.

11. If you had to choose, would you rather get stung by a scorpion or bitten by a snake?

Scorpion. Only 25 of 1700 species have venom enough to potentially threaten human life (1.5%). There are 3000 species of snakes on the other hand & while 600 are poisonous, 200 of them have venom lethal enough to kill humans (6.67%). So, a person has a 4x greater risk of dying from a snake bite than a scorpion bite.

12. What's your favorite movie?

It’s actually the same as the book I mentioned—Lord of the Rings. I was skeptical when I heard a movie was being produced from the book as the book was fantastic. But the movie was incredible. They took some liberties to make it dramatic but the movie captured the book fairly well.

My 2nd favorite movie is The Last of the Mohicans. I like the raw depiction of culture and bravery, the depth of true love exhibited, coupled with a romantic element.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can understand being unsure of what to cut out of a story of your life. I’m afraid that I think too many things are funny or had a great effect on me and that would totally bore readers. Besides, it would make the book way too long.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Yeah, I too enjoyed Lord of the Rings and the movie also did a pretty good Job. I also agree that it wasn't coined without the help of the heavenly. Having your other siblings believe that you didn't have it easy, could be pretty hard, I hope you succeeded.
Hillary Obigwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Hillary Obigwa »

You should not take it that way because that means you only viewed the wrong side but there is the positive side.lif ehas ups and downs the book whether short or long it's good for work
Katenya John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katenya John »

Too much in the book confuses a lot of people and they don't know what to take and what to leave
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

Great interview! Looking forward to more like this.
Shivam96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shivam96 »

Great interview I can understand
Jude Meritus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Jude Meritus »

Curious to know how you came to know the Lord. God bless!
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Great interview, it's always a pleasure. "So, a person has a 4x greater risk of dying from a snake bite than a scorpion bite." Where do these wild statistics come from?
Chi som
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-som.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: Epub

Post by Chi som »

I love interviews like this..they are always amazing

Return to “Author Interviews”