Official Interview: Gary Santorella

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Gary Santorella

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Gary Santorella author of Dyed Souls, recent book of the day.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. When you aren't authoring what do you do?

I am a Lean consultant. I teach project teams and companies how to identify process and cultural waste (in the form of workflow stoppages) and how to eliminate them.

2. Tell us about what writing means to you.

We're the only species that has developed the ability to convey complex ideas to one another through the spoken and written word. To me, writing, good writing, allows someone to enter another person's head and try on new ideas and perspectives. That's a truly powerful ability - for both good and bad. That's why, I believe, writers also have an ethical responsibility as well; to convey ideas in an objective and thoughtful manner.

3. If you could only pick one book to reread for the rest of your life, which book would it be?

Fahrenheit 451. I've read it four times now. Bradbury's foresight was shockingly insightful accurate.

4. Let's discuss your book Dyed Souls. The book is centered around Charles, an abused boy. How did you get the idea for the book?

I worked in settings like the one Charlie is in for 10 years, so you couldn't help be touched by the stories of the kids you worked with. But one of my frustrations about many of the reviews for Dyed Souls is that the reviewers think it is a story about abuse. It's not. Physical, sexual and substance abuse are symptoms of a deeper problem - not the root cause. Starting in earnest in the 1980's (this is a reason why I chose this time period) I saw people distorting the notion of "The Right to Pursue Happiness" to justify some pretty selfish behaviors that were devoid of a sense of obligation to others. The founders who crafted this "right" foresaw this potential pitfall, and amended it with a weighty sense of responsibility. That's why the second part of this notion was coupled with the sentence, "... but if, in your pursuit of happiness, you intrude on the happiness of others, your right to pursue this happiness ends." Unfortunately, many people have no notion that this caveat exists and see the right to pursue happiness as permission to do whatever they damn well please regardless of the consequences to others. I refer to this as cultural narcisim. (Have you seen the videos of young people partying for spring break in the midst of the Covid-19 virus? - if so, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.) The book is really about the dangers that are the result of this self-centeredness world view. And this danger isn't new. Various religions (in particular, Judaism, Christianity and Islam) have inculcated this notion for centuries (i.e., the earth, therefore we, are at the center of the universe) which has allowed us to do many horrible things in God's name to both the planet and each other. (And yes, I view religion as another form of cultural narcissism.) What has been encouraging is that some readers have said that the story is an important read and it has stayed with them, but they can't precisely identify why. I think that it is because Dyed Souls is striking this very chord in their consciousness - at least I hope it is.

5. Being a coming-of-age novel, what age group were you targeting for your audience?

Because of the heavy themes in the book, I'm really targeting an adult audience. But I also hope it finds an audience with late teens who are seeking to see the world as it is and are disturbed by the fictions that others seem to incorporate into their lives so easily. To me, this is who the true outsiders are - those brave enough to see the world as it is (a not so nice place) but still to feel the need to make a positive contribution to it.

6. The reviewer discusses the cast of memorable characters. Why are relationships so important to you?

I so much appreciate the observation by the reviewer. In fact, I was extremely touched by Stephanie Elizabeth's most thoughtful review. When working in these settings, the staff perceptions are pretty dominated by a politically leftist narrative, i.e., viewing the root cause of the world's ills as stemming from racism, sexism, capitalism, and a variety of other isms. (I can't say that I was much different in this regard at the time.) But when you listened to these kids stories - truly listened - what you heard over and over (and what many were starting to repeat in their own lives) was a pervasive selfishness - a rampant disregard for others, and a blindness of responsibility towards others. Though they "play along with program" this is what Charlie and Javier are really wrestling with, i.e., what does it mean to be a good person. And not in a fake "woke" sort of way - but in a genuine way, i.e., in their daily interactions with others. The same is very true for Margo, though the sexual abuse that she experiences warps her perspective and creates a cascade of convoluted behaviors and beliefs in a similar way to Charlie's mom came to view the world.

7. There are a number of important topics discussed - addictions, abuse, etc... What message do you want to bring home to your readers?

That traumatic events leave a permanent stain on the soul, but we can never give ourselves permission to abdicate our social responsibilities to others. And I don't think you need supernatural invectives (fear of hell/promise of heaven) to instill this. If there is a silver lining to the Cover 19 virus, maybe it will help to re-instill a sense of social obligation toward a greater good. Similarly, I don't think viewing oneself as a "victim" is particularly empowering. In fact, I think this notion has the opposite effect. What I loved about writing the Charlie character is that he genuinely struggles for his existence - but he doesn't wallow in self-pity. While we have to come to terms with the things we have experienced (and for some, this is extremely painful to relive), there is a distinct difference between reflection and self-pity. Reflection allows us to move forward in a more thoughtful and intentional way - in the service of others as well as ourselves. Blindness and self-pity lead to a repetition of destruction.

8. What can we expect from you next?

Call it pragmatism or superstition, but I never talk about future projects as I find it tends to take energy away from the work.

How about a few fun questions.

9. What's on your nightstand?

Issac Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy. The Seventh Day by Yu Hau. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking (I bounce around a lot.)

10. Do you write with a pen and paper or a computer?

Both
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”