Official Interview: Debbie Tremel

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Debbie Tremel

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Debbie Tremel author of Seeds of Hope.

To view the first official review, click here.

To view the second official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What was your first experience with writing like?

I had been writing short stories since I was a child. I had written a great deal for newsletters, had pondered a novel but never really pursued it and was working on a series of children’s stories. I sat down one day to write another one and what came out was the first chapter of my book. If you’ve read the book, you know my first chapter is really not the beginning of a children’s book! But once it was written, I knew exactly what the story was, and it scared me. Not only had I never written a novel, but I knew it was a story that needed to be told and wondered if I was up to telling it. Since my focus had never been on novel writing, I had some learning to do but quickly dove into the book. I looked forward to each day as it unfolded, and it often surprised me. I knew the major events from the beginning, but the journey to reach them was as new for me as for my readers.

2. Can you give us a bit of a description of your writing environment?

Well here I’m probably a little unique. I was living off-grid in a yurt in the middle of the woods when I began the novel. I had no power or running water. The first chapter was actually handwritten. When I decided to pursue the novel, I moved it to my computer. The computer had limited battery, so I would have to go to town to the library to work and recharge the battery. Eventually I got a solar charger so I could work longer from the yurt. Living in the middle of the woods was a perfect place to write this book!

3. Who's been the most influential in your writing journey?

I would have to say, author, Tom Brown Jr. I started reading his books as a young adult. Tom was taught primitive living skills and earth philosophies by a Lipan Apache elder, Stalking Wolf. Stalking Wolf dedicated his life to preserving these skills, teaching the skills of living closer with the Earth. His lineage had shared prophecies about the destruction of the Earth. Not only did I go to take classes from Tom but ended up working for him for almost 10 years. Over the decades, I have witnessed these prophecies unfolding, taking us closer to the point where the Earth can no longer sustain us. All you have to do is watch the news to know these prophecies are very much unfolding including the escalation of weather events, earth upheavals, disease, famine and water shortages, hatred and war and the loss of faith and hope. So truly, Tom’s books and his Vision are the reason and the basis of the story.

4. Let's discuss your book Seeds of Hope. It's a dystopian novel. Does it reflect your view of the future?

Stalking Wolf’s people spoke of possible and probable futures. Seeds of Hope is the story that reflects a possible future. The slower we are to act on climate change, the more the story reflects the probable future. This is not a future anyone would choose, but it sadly may be the future we are creating for our children and grandchildren. And yes, I believe this is a future that is a very real possibility. The story also, though, is meant to create hope. Can we learn to respect, appreciate, and take care of the Earth? And if we cannot change as a planet, can we create something better from what is left? Although my story is of destruction, it is really a story of creating the world so many of us long for. A world of peace and caring. A world where there is not hatred and fear. A world where we remove the word “them” and only have “us”. Some may see me as a pessimist, but I see myself as a realist and one who can hold a beautiful dream.

5. How did you get the idea for your characters? Are they based on those in real life?

My characters are not based on individuals but hold aspects of many people I know in the primitive skills community. I wanted to create characters that different types of people could relate to and show how they could learn to thrive in this setting. I wanted a diverse group that could all come together. Some of the experiences of the characters are my own, but they are given to different people. By the end though, these characters were as real to me as many people I know.

6. The reviewer discusses the book's focus on details. How did you do your research to make the book so realistic?

I guess you could say I’ve been researching for decades, but I had to do no specific research for the book. I have learned these skills myself and teach them. I built a primitive shelter and lived in it for a year and a half. I make baskets, pottery, fire by friction. I can flintknap and tan hides, make traps and bows and arrows. I do caretaking regularly. I know edible and medicinal plants. So, I just incorporated the skills I know into the story. I wanted to instill the wonder in using these ancient skills and really how peaceful and connected the lifestyle can be.

7. Even though it's fiction, is there a message you want your readers to walk away with?

I know it is so very hard to consider, but we are at a point that if we do not change how we treat and relate to the Earth, she will no longer be able to sustain us. You don’t need prophecies now; science has shown us the many ways the infrastructure of nature is collapsing. Each of us can make a difference. We can use less, reuse more, but probably most importantly, we can respect the natural world. It is such an amazing web of life and in our ignorance and greed, we are cutting strands of the web. I hope my book inspires people to be in nature, to learn about it and express their respect for it. And if they feel called to prepare in case this is a future that unfolds, I hope they will begin to learn the skills, not only to help themselves and their families survive, but to be a part of building something beautiful. If we can change and save our lifestyle, learning these skills will still bring a lot of fun and an amazing connection with the Earth. My website (http://www.seedsofhope.live/) has resources for learning more about the skills.

8. Tell us about your future projects.

Since Seeds of Hope, I have published a children’s book, A Home for Harley, in which a young girl, in her attempts to capture a frog to keep in a terrarium, instead experiences amazing lessons with nature. I have another children’s book in the works and have been mulling over another novel. I’m also involved in restarting a project, Ways of the Earth Living Museum, in which we are building a primitive village where people can come and see the skills in action or stay for a while and learn them themselves.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. What's your favorite vacation spot?

That’s hard to choose! But if I could go back to one place, I think I’d pick the Hawaiian Islands. From my first trip there I fell in love with snorkeling, the most wondrous wander through ocean life. I’ve traveled other places to snorkel, but I think Hawaii is my favorite.

10. Sunset or sunrise?

Although I love both, I think I will pick sunsets. I’ve lived most of my life in the west coast states, and there’s nothing like a sunset over the Pacific Ocean - or the mountains!

11. What animal would you most want to be and why?

I think I would pick an otter. They are so playful, even as they work for food and shelter. They are very affectionate to each other. I think they embody the carefree life.

12. What would you pick as your last meal?

Green cattail heads (they taste like a combination of artichoke and corn on the cob), lobster, garlic mashed potatoes and mixed nuts for dessert!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cyanirerivera
Currently Reading: Soulscape
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyanirerivera.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by cyanirerivera »

This sounds very worth reading!
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Wow i never knew of this cool section. It's always lovely to meet hear from the people whose books have impacted our lives.

Return to “Author Interviews”