Official Interview: Len Foley

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Len Foley

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Len Foley author of Santa's Smelly Socks among others.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. When did you decide you wanted to write children's books?

I started in 2016, when my daughter Sofia was four years old.

Each night it was a ritual for our family, before bed we'd read books together...

And even though we'd read hundreds and hundreds of books, I realized the kinds of books I wanted to read my daughter didn't exist (because I hadn't written them yet!) so that's when I started on this path.

2. Why children's books?

Because a parent who reads to a child is building a strong, intimate connection that can never be taken away.

For hundreds of years, parents and children have been enjoying books together.

And if kids don't start loving books when they are young, they will never get into them when they get older.

They say most people who buy books nowadays (literature, non-fiction, etc.) don't even get past the first chapter.

But everyone reads children's books, even the bad ones!

And the good children's books get read over and over again.

I also believe that even though a parent may not enjoy the book he/she is reading, they will enjoy watching their kids enjoy it.

3. Who is your biggest inspiration?

I love the FLY GUY series by Tedd Arnold because I respect any author who does his/her own illustrations. His books are phenomenal for kids ages 2-6. Dav Pilkey, Mo Willems, and Jon Klassen are all innovative, interesting author/illustrators as well.

And I love Ross Burach's work.

It's such hard work illustrating books that I have so much respect for anyone who is crazy enough to want to do it.

4. Let's talk about your book Santa's Smelly Socks. In this book, it seems you take a stab at answering why we hang stockings. Was this something you were wondering?

A couple years ago, when we were hanging socks on the mantle for the holidays, my daughter asked me why were doing it... and I had no idea!

So I did some research and discovered there is a long history of Santa Claus cleaning up dirty towns and villages before leaving presents for them.

Apparently, Santa does not like it when people don't care for their surroundings!

5. Your books always have a bit of gross humor, and there's always something unexpected. Is this indicative of your personality?

Believe it or not, I don't find gross humor funny at all.

But I don't write books based on what I find funny, only what kids find funny.

6. Since this book is about Christmas, I think it only fair to ask about your favorite part of Christmas.

Hanging the socks, of course.

7. What's next on your series of children's books?

I have finished a new book called SUPER STASH about a little boy who eats a genetically modified ice cream cone, falls asleep, and wakes up with a mustache that gives him super powers! This book will come out in 2021.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. What's your favorite Christmas movie?

Die Hard.

Christmas song?

Santa's Smelly Socks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsrwiC5X7Us

10. What's your favorite season?

Fall.

11. Cats or dogs?

Cats. We have two of them.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”