Official Interview: M. R. Gerbo

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: M. R. Gerbo

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features M. R. Gerbo author of Pop's.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

Pickleball and golf. Travel when we don’t have a pandemic. I am also a musician and singer. I have a recording studio set up in my home and will lay down a dozen or so tracks for a song playing all the instruments and singing all the parts.

2. When did you first know you wanted to write, and publish, a story?

I can’t remember when I didn’t want to write a book. Writing and communication was always my strong point in the business world. The ability to convey my thoughts in an organized way was crucial to my success. As far as the book POP’s goes, I tossed the idea around in my head for several years before starting on it.

3. Tell us about what inspires you? Do you listen to music? Is there a big window that gives you inspiration?

Just putting my fingers on the keyboard is inspiration for me. It’s interesting to see how the story unfolds as I am writing. I have a loose outline that changes as the story seems to tell itself.

4. Let's discuss your book Pop's. Why 1968?

Many reasons. I was 14 in 1968 and lived near Lake Erie and the rivers, creeks, and marshes. It provided a “safe” place for me just like the Mickey. Though I was not like the character, (he’s much more mature than I was) I could relate to how the major cultural shifts of that time affected him and the community. Society in 1968 was in a major flux. I tried to capture some of that in the book.

5. The reviewer discusses the "multi-dimensional" characters. How did you get them to be so realistic? Are they based on real people?

I’ve wondered how I am able to create real identifiable characters. I know as I’m writing my mind talks and acts like that person. Several of the characters are based on a conglomeration of real people from my own father and uncles, bullies and toughs in the area and helpful old guys like Hoppy and Pops.

6. On a similar note, the book takes place in a small town in Michigan. Is this based on a real town you've been to or lived in?

It is a mix of three small towns from my area. Flat Rock, Rockwood, and Gibraltar.

7. What do you want readers to walk away with after having read the story?

I spell that out in the epilogue. Change is difficult, but we adapt and find a comfortable routine to carry us through to the next change.

8. Can you give us a small glimpse into the next book in the series?

The next book Fricke Island, which was published earlier this year, starts out with the Fricke twins - the tag team terror squad from POP’s. They live on remote Fricke Island with their parents Forest and Fiona Fricke. The story reflects back on the dark days of the island during prohibition times and the transition to being a vital part of the community. For Forest it is a tale of despair and for Fiona a tale of hope. The third book, Tommy Two Pockets and the Posse of the Marsh, is being written.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. In an amusement park, roller coasters, shows, games, or food?

Young man, coasters. Now, food.

10. Tell us one of your favorite songs.

Clair de Lune.

11. Toilet paper, over or under?

I just want it there when I need it.

12. Would you rather have a fire on a cold day or air conditioning on a hot day?

Living in Florida, air conditioning.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”