Official Interview: Mark Leon Collins

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mark Leon Collins

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mark Leon Collins author of Riven Calyx.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. When did you know you wanted to write a novel?

At infant school, we learnt to read and write with books called Janet and John. Two siblings. They were okay to learn from, and I was keen to learn, but I thought, 'When I grow up, I'll write better books than these.'

2. How long have you been writing?

At junior school we were encouraged to write stories, so pretty much since I was about 7. I would post stories to my favourite grandmother or just write for myself.

3. How do you come up with your titles?

I don't know. Though Riven Calyx was my Dad's suggestion when I told him the synopsis and I couldn't think of a title; they just stick. I take titles seriously and mull them over and something fertilises.

4. Let's discuss your book Riven Calyx. The book seems to be quite the fantasy. Why this genre?

The first novel I wrote was a sci fi; it wasn't very good, but it was when I really took writing seriously. I realised I wasn't really a techy, or someone to write seriously for the sci fi market. I read some really good crime thrillers, but nothing there seemed to germinate for a good tale to tell and neither did historical fiction. I particularly enjoyed Alfred Duggan's books; his characterisation was top notch, and his historical background was lively and real. However, I've always enjoyed fantasy and folklore where imagination is pretty well unlimited, so that's the route I've taken, though there's a specific idea for a horror story I've had for years. I might write it one day. Nevertheless, with a little imagination I could perhaps set it in the world of Escavia.

5. How did you come up with the magical spells used in the book?

I laid down some rules for myself about magic, about what sort of things that can and can't be done and how it is done. I always disliked novels that assumed any one can do magic if they study. To me it doesn't seem right. Someone has to have a sort of gift or talent for it. Also there has got to be reasons why the world isn't threatened by constant wizard wars or suffer takeovers by psychotic magicians. Although the threats are there, and it can happen maybe once in a while, mostly wizards have to study the rudiments of different types of magic with limits to their abilities. For instance, one might be an elementalist but has no idea about illusions. Another might be able to interfere with the mind of someone but cannot turn the opponent into a living pyre because there's only so much one can study or aspire. There can be side effects too, which will limit the extent to which a wary wizard will go. Otherwise the world would be pretty much held to ransom.

6. What was the biggest challenge in writing this book?

Writing as succinctly as I possibly can, I suppose. The ideas just came as I wrote; some were kept and some were cut. I hope with the help of my editors that it is as error free and as succinct as can be.

7. Is this just for fun or is there a key message you want your readers to walk away with?

I think the best way is messages come with the stories, rather than the story come with a message.

8. It looks like this is the first in a series. Can you tell us a little about it?

Yes, well rather than have sequels after sequels I thought it would be fun to have novels set in a coherent and stable world set which is Escavia; I suppose like the Thieves World idea, except I'm the only writer. But my characters might or might not appear in other novels with unrelated stories. In Riven Calyx some characters will appear in the next book - Journey of the Acolyte - and in the world of Escavia's future some will be remembered as historical figures. But the stories are unrelated.

I like to end on some fun questions.

9. What's your favorite childhood memory?

I had a pretty good childhood, at least to begin with. So I have lots of memories as an infant. Opening the door to my first advent calendar has always stuck with me, but I am pushed for an absolute.

10. How do you pass your leisure time?

Wargaming, mostly.

11. What's your favorite word?

Colour, I think.

12. What's your favorite holiday and why?

Easter, because it is slightly less stressful than Christmas and is the heart of the Christian message.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”