Official Interview: Brady Moore (The Fourth Kinetic)

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Brady Moore (The Fourth Kinetic)

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Brady Moore author of The Fourth Kinetic which was book of the month in September 2021. Be sure to grab your copy now in order to participate in the upcoming discussion.

To view the official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To view the book of the month forum, click here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Have you always wanted to be a writer?

I never considered being an author growing up, which is odd because I’ve been making up stories since I was in kindergarten. It wasn’t something I ever really considered until I started writing short scripts in college for film classes. The first novel I wrote was just meant to stave off boredom while working in the projection booth at a movie theater, but after that I realized it was the perfect medium to get all of these ideas and characters out of my head. My wife and parents were the main ones pushing me to hone my craft and pursue writing as a career.

2. Is writing your full-time career? If not, would you like it to be?

The Fourth Kinetic is my first traditionally published manuscript. I’m just getting my feet wet in the business, so I have a separate full-time job to pay the bills and support my wife, newborn son, and adorably hyper canine sidekick. Balancing writing and my job has been difficult, but the endgame is most definitely making writing my main gig, and I’m not going to stop until it is.

3. What was your favorite book when you were a child?

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was the first novel I fell in love with. It still sits on my bookshelf to this day. It hooked me from the first page. The character Brian’s journey while alone in the wilderness was so incredibly compelling. Reading it was originally an elementary school assignment, but I ended up reading the entire series. I also grew up on Goosebumps and Animorphs and all of those series have played a role in my writing.

4. Let's discuss your book The Fourth Kinetic. Why did you feel it important to have your lead character be black or was it just a coincidence?

It was definitely no coincidence. There’s a lot of young black boys out there yearning for characters to be the heroes in the media that they love. As an African American male, I grew up loving science fiction and action adventures, but far too often the characters that looked like me were relegated to supporting roles. Putting a black teen going through self-discovery at the forefront was always important to me, as well as including a multitude of diverse characters for all different types of readers to identify with.

5. Why did you go with the young adult genre?

The young adult genre is my personal favorite to read and I think it’s one that encapsulates a large audience. People young and old can enjoy a good science fiction story. I loved the Maze Runner and Hunger Games books and I felt like my own series about a 17-year-old coming of age with superpowers lent itself to that same audience. I definitely plan on branching out to other genres, but I always think it’s best to write what you personally enjoy the most.

6. Do you have a favorite of all the characters?

There’s a lot of myself in the protagonist, Rion. He’s smart, hot-headed, and introverted, but also very empathetic. He’s definitely been a character that I’ve gotten the most feedback about. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say that Aries is my personal favorite. Having him serve as a big brother figure to Rion came organically because he’s the type of person I’d look up to and want to befriend at a young age. Writing his scenes was easily the most fun because he has such a distinctive voice. From his dialogue to physical description, there’s just a unique swagger about Aries that makes him infectious.

7. What type of scene is most difficult for you to write?

The stuff that goes on between the action and drama, or what’s often referred to as “filler”, is always challenging. When writing, there’s usually this eagerness to get to the juicy parts, but filling in the gaps between important moments is pivotal to storytelling. The filler is where we truly get to know characters. Points A and B are great, but you have to guide the reader between those scenes to make everything feel organic. It can be a slog, but oftentimes I discover some of my most descriptive writing comes when I’m not writing dialogue or describing an action sequence.

8. Is there a message that you want your readers to walk away with?

The Fourth Kinetic is very much about finding your identity and purpose in life. Much of the concept stemmed from my experiences after I went off to college. I’ve always felt that people are better able to forge distinctive identities when meeting people from different walks of life that challenge their comfort zones. Facing challenges that are a direct consequence of our own everyday decisions without parental supervision is also so pivotal in that journey to adulthood. We have to be able to learn from our own mistakes and take in all that life has to offer for us to become our most honest selves. Rion goes on this journey of self-discovery throughout the novel. At the start, he’s this quiet kid who doesn’t understand his gifts or what to do with his own future. By the end, he’s become ingrained into this unorthodox family and has a clear path forward. The other characters also learn through Rion what it means to tow that line between being predator and prey in a world where they are powerful but still vulnerable.

9. What's next on your agenda?

Right now I’m focusing on the sequels to The Fourth Kinetic. I’ve finished the second draft of Book 2 in the Clairvoyants series, titled The Fifth Strain, which will be out in 2022. I’m knee-deep in mapping out the final installment in the trilogy and I’m very excited to subvert many of my readers’ expectations on how they think things will play out. There’s more room to expand the series, but after the trilogy is done I plan on working on a few other projects in different genres. I have a lot of ideas pinned in my head that I’m dying to create.

I like to end with some fun questions.

10. How many pairs of shoes do you own?

Probably about a dozen, even though I only rotate two or three. I’m not really a sneakerhead like a lot of my peers. I usually buy a pair of reasonably priced sneakers and don’t wear something different until my feet start breaking through the soles.

11. Do you have a life motto or words you live by?

There’s a line in The Fourth Kinetic that is one of my favorites. The character Auriga has a quote that goes ‘Fear is a self-inflicted wound before you’ve even started the fight.’ It’s one that I’ve tried to live by as I navigate adulthood. As an introvert, I’ve spent a lot of time worrying about how things might go if I try something out of my comfort zone. But I’ve learned that the fear of taking chances is one of the greatest obstacles that hinder you from reaching your full potential. No matter what you do in life, do it with the expectation that you will succeed and you’ll put forth all of the necessary effort to get a result you will be proud of.

12. What's the corniest joke you know?

I’m a major Batman stan, so this one made me snicker when I heard it recently:

What do you call it when Batman skips church?

Christian Bale
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80148
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

I enjoyed the interview honest answers keep up
Kevin Kouman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kevin Kouman »

J'apprécie beaucoup cet entretien avec Brady Moore , il répond sans divergences , et veux faire vraiment da l'écriture sa carrière .
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

"Fear is a self-inflicted wound before you even start a fight." This hit differently. Nice one, sir.
Peter Phiri 8

Post by Peter Phiri 8 »

This is great interview
Nastaria Todd
Currently Reading:

Post by Nastaria Todd »

Amazing interview of Brady moore he was amazing author for this book called a the fourth kinetic.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Understanding an author's journey in writing a book is an amazing. This interview reveals a lot of personal information from the author with things that could help other writers grow. Thank you.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
thebabeseries

Post by thebabeseries »

Great topic! I worked with the youth also through child protection

Return to “Author Interviews”