Official Interview: Vee (Vijaya) Kumari

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Vee (Vijaya) Kumari

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Vee (Vijaya) Kumari author of Dharma.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To view the first review, click here.

To view the second review, click here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I happen to be an actor as well, and I’m regularly in acting classes, often performing. I’m also a good cook, mostly South Indian foods like dosa, iddli, fish curry, etc. I cook for my daughters and their families on special and not-so-special occasions!

2. How did you get your start as a writer?

I was a med school professor and scientist for over 35 years of my life. During that time, I was an avid reader. Reading fiction helped me maintain balance with science. I’ve taken classes from the UCLA Writer’s Program. However, I started writing my first novel, DHARMA… after I retired in 2012. It took me seven years to finish it!

3. What authors have most influenced your writing style?

I think I found my own writing style. I don’t use semi-colons or colons, but mostly commas. Unknowingly, this style might have its beginning in the style of an established writer, but I’m unaware of it consciously.

4. Let's discuss your book Dharma: A Rekha Rao Mystery. The protagonist is Indian American. How did you choose this background?

I came here from India seeking further education and training as a doctor. My older daughter was 6 months old at that time. After getting a Ph.D. I had my second daughter. It took us all that time to decide whether to continue to stay in the US or go back home. Once we decided to stay, we became part of a small-town community and a wider group of Indian friends and families. My daughters are proud Indian Americans. While DHARMA… is not their story, it’s based on my observations of Indian families in the US, their experiences, troubles, and triumphs, bringing up practically American children in a mixed culture of the US and India.

5. Rekha is an art history professor. How much research did you do into this subject to make the book realistic?

The fact that I was a professor for over 35 years helped me. Students loved my style of teaching, and I felt lucky to have found my style. BTW, my mother was a chemistry teacher and a principal. I did quite a bit of research on Indian art history to make it authentic, yet light and appealing to the non-Indian reader.

6. What was the hardest part of the book for you to write? What was the easiest?

Anything to do with India was, of course, the easiest for me. The plot and plot twists were the hardest ones to create.

7. What do you hope readers take from this story?

I have had people comment early on in two veins:

Can you make this just an Indian story without the crime? I’d love to learn more about the Indian culture and the family lives of Indian immigrants.
Can you keep the Indian elements as a minor part of the story? They tend to come in the way of following how the crime is resolved.

Hopefully, in the final version, I found a balance.

8. What's next? Are there more Rekha Rao mysteries planned?

Honestly, I found it exhausting to write a story entirely focused (with some exceptions) on resolving a crime. Besides, there are so many other Immigrant stories yet to tell. So DHARMA… is going to be a stand-alone mystery novel.

I like to end with some fun questions.

9. Who is your hero?

Grew up with handsome Indian movie actors as heroes. In my adult life, I cannot find a singular hero, but I admire ordinary people who would do extraordinary things, like helping someone in need, standing up for their rights, and respecting everyone regardless of their race, color, political or sexual preference. They are my real heroes.

10. If you could only have one season, which one would you choose?

I love fall. It comes as a relief to the scorching heat, changes colors of the leaves, bringing some rain, birdsongs, and the need for a light sweater or shawl on a stroll.

11. Would you rather be stuck in a lion's den or in a cave with a bear?

Not sure why, but I’d choose the bear. Seems to me, you may be able to talk some sense into the bear.

12. What's your favorite color?

Pale green.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jamina Alonto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamina Alonto »

The book is amazing! Thankyou for the interview. 🥰
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I love cultural diversity, although I know that it can be hard to blend in and for those who finally do, I duff my hats.

Return to “Author Interviews”