Official Interview: Tobin Marks

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Tobin Marks

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Tobin Marks author of Ark of the Apocalypse.

To view the first official review, click here.

To view the second official review, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I am a drilling engineer by profession and spend literally half my life on some drilling rig in some far-flung corner of the world, usually on one ocean or another. Having said that, I'm presently working on land in Texas. Y'all...

2. Tell us about the person or people who influenced you to become a writer.

My two favorite authors are Bernad Cornwell and Joe Abercrombie. I love the way they write, and they have probably influenced my own writing more than anything.

3. Tell us about your very first attempt at writing.

I wrote poetry for fifteen years before I tried my hand at novels. However, at the beginning, I was bad. Really bad. In fact the editor I used opened his first Editor's Letter to me with the sentence: This book is not marketable. Translated meaning: it sucks. But I listened to him and learned and hopefully got a lot better.

4. Let's discuss your book Ark of the Apocalypse. What came first? The plot? The characters? A vision? A dream?

The plot came first. I wrote a trilogy called the Hope Prophecy, and while editing the last book, the same editor from question #3 mentioned that I should include more background information about the protagonist's preternatural family. I wrote back and said that being a nobody author I'm restricted to 100k words and that I can't fit it in a chapter or two. It would need to be a separate book. He said, "Ok," and voila! Ark was born.

5. That leads to the next question. Why science fiction/fantasy?

I write science fiction fantasy because, unlike historical or crime fiction, I really don't have to know anything. I can just make stuff up.

6. Some of the characters are quite sinister. They do evil things for what seems to be positive intent. How difficult was it to write these personas?

Writing bad guys is fun. I had one editor tell me that I do crazy really well. Hmm... Anyway, I tried to make Mother Olga, the only super villain to ever succeed in destroying Earth, into a likable character. Dunno if I succeeded though. Most reviewers revile her.

7. This was quite a complex book, even spanning to a different world. How did you create such an intricate setting? Was it difficult to keep track of?

Ark is basically three books, two of which happen on Earth. I simply used what little knowledge I have of things like global warming and nuclear war to make an extreme scenario. Naturally there was a ton of research that came up so I could write semi intelligently about it. As for the alien world, this really evolved. I knew I wanted a watery planet with crystal mountains, lizard people, and giant dinosaurs, and of course dragons. However, as I wrote there were a lot of plot hole type scenes that had to be addressed. As a result Aqueous was born.

8. This book is the first in a series. Can you tell us a little about the next book and when it's due out?

The next book is Endeavor's Run due out at Christmas. This story takes place 1000 years after Ark of the Apocalypse. On Earth humans are once again exploring the stars, and the Yanbeyeva's survived. Nadya's direct descendant goes to Aqueous. This is why it was so important that she leave her seed on Earth before she left on the Magellan ll. The Endeavor is sent to find and rescue her sister ship lost there 12 years before. But what they find instead is a dangerous planet inhabited by dangerous reptiles, hostile aliens, and one long forgotten human colony.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your favorite time of day?

Early morning is my favorite time of day. I love to write before the sun comes up. Must needs: a pot of fresh coffee coupled with the tranquility of day break.

10. Are you a people person or do you enjoy alone time?

There are two distinct halves to my life. One is living in close quarters with men and women on offshore drilling rigs. Think of what life on a naval vessel would be like. The other is almost total seclusion when I'm on days off. I've spent decades overseas and been to some very cool places. Almost always by myself. So, I learned to be good with that. Since I started writing I've become somewhat of a recluse, not because I don't like being around people, but in order for me to really dive into writing I must have no distractions.

11. What would be your last meal?

I'm pretty sure my last meal would be Peach Cobbler a la mode.

12. What's your biggest pet peeve?

My biggest pet peeve is punctuality or lack thereof. I'm an extreme frequent flier and am always early at airports. This has spilled over into most aspects of my life. So, if I'm right on time for something, I feel like I'm late.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tobin Marks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tobin Marks »

Thank you Sarah for this wonderful interview. I feel a little undeserved, but am still pleased beyond words.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

This was such an informative interview. I've always liked science fiction and often wonder how the authors come up with such beyond-earth, thought-provoking ideas in writing the books. I've liked the author's answer as to why he writes science fiction and not the other genres (makes sense!).
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

Thank you for this interview! This book is amazing, I cannot wait for the second!
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Nathaniel Edna
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Nathaniel Edna »

Thanks for the informative interview
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »