Official Interview: Elvis Bray

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Elvis Bray

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Elvis Bray author of The Presence of Justice.

Official Review

Amazon (free on Kindle Unlimited)

******************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Why do you write?

I write to entertain and to educate. I want my readers to enjoy my novels and learn something new.

2. What is your interesting writing quirk?

I don’t outline my books. I get an idea that I think will make a great story, then I think about it for a while, developing the main characters. Then I let my characters tell me the story.

3. As an author, how do you use social media?

I’m not much of a computer guy and the only social media I use is Facebook.

4. Let's talk about your book The Presence of Justice. It involves a quest to find a murderer. What genre(s) would you say the book fits in and why?

The main genre is a murder mystery. But with all the side stories, it could also be considered a coming-of-age story, a high school football story, or a love story. I wanted to write a story where everything in the novel could actually happen. I consider a good fiction novel as “life with the boring taken out.”

5. How did you come up with the idea for the book?

This was my first novel and I didn’t have a clue how to write one. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to write a book about a father and son coming of age novel or a murder mystery. I knew people generally like a good love story and everyone likes humor. So, I decided to add all of these elements into my book to get a wider audience appeal. Then I made Andy Hanson and he told me the story while I slept. I wrote most of this novel between 4 am and 8 am.

6. Which of the characters do you most relate to and why?

I guess it would be Scott Hanson because I was a police officer for thirty-five years. But I also love Colonel Lightfoot because he is the best horseman I have ever known, and we both served in Vietnam. He is a real person and looks just like what I described him in the book.

7. The reviewer mentions that the book has the right amount of everything. How did you achieve such a balance?

I’m not sure. I knew that there was a lot that happens in my characters' lives other than the murder case in a time period of a year. I wanted my characters to seem real. I wanted my readers to relate to them and to be in the book with them. That is why I wrote my novel in first person.

8. What else is in the works?

My second novel is called Dual Therapy. I’m writing a sequel to it called The Raven and the Dove. I’m on chapter 21 on that novel. I wrote a screenplay from Dual Therapy which got a recommendation from Extreme Screenwriters out of LA. No one has optioned that script yet. My third novel is The Presence of Conflict, which is a sequel to The Presence of Justice. I’m doing research on the third book in that series called The Presence of Peace. I also wrote a short story called Christmas in New Iberia that was published in a collection of Christmas Stories for a fundraiser for the Children’s Hospital. My good friend, John McCarney, wrote a screenplay from it called The Long Way Home. The script was recommended to be made into a movie by Extreme Screenwriters and it is in the semi-finals of a major screenplay contest now. Four production companies have requested the script so far.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What do you need in your writing space to help you stay focused?

My imaginary friends. I only get writer’s block when they stop talking to me.

10. Would you rather walk on ice or hot cement with bare feet?

I would want one foot on the ice and the other foot hot cement. By average, I should be comfortable.

11. What are you reading right now?

A Glorious Nightmare in Forty Shades of Green by Gamble Dick.

12. What three items would you take if you were stranded on a deserted island?

A computer, food, and cold beer.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cici Stride
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cici-stride.html
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Post by Cici Stride »

This was great! Thank you so much!
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Amazing interview! Thank you a lot!
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

Appreciate this interview. It was amazing. This author is an impressive human being judging from what I've read in this interview.
Ammarah Azhar Khan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammarah-azhar-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Ammarah Azhar Khan »

Through this interview the author has made his wah to my heart. With my overthinking mind , I tend to make things hard on myself. He has spontaneous nature which is something I admire.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Amazing interview. I enjoyed the read.

Return to “Author Interviews”