Official Interview: Peter S. Rush, author of the August 2022 Book of the Month

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Peter S. Rush, author of the August 2022 Book of the Month

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Peter S. Rush author of Wild World. This will be book of the month in August, so get your copies now!

Official Review

Purchase on Amazon

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When and why did you start writing?

The book was a story I thought about for many years. I wrote a few scenes with the main characters. I realized the entire context of how and where these characters met, fell in love, and went through the turmoil and transition while the world around them was changing as well. It took me two years to write it and many revisions. The most difficult part was how to begin the books. The title – Wild World - comes from the Cat Stevens song from those years. The song captures a feeling from the main character. Music was the social media of the generation which is why so much of the music is still played today. Each chapter is a song contemporary with the time of the story.

2. What's your biggest writing challenge?

The biggest challenge to writing this book was writing time because I had a demanding full-time job. I tried to say on a schedule of rising a 4:30 to get two hours in before work. I traveled a great deal during those days and spent many days in hotel rooms writing or rewriting scenes. As I went through drafts, I hired an editor who was very helpful with criticism as well as encouragement.

3. How do you handle criticism, good and bad?

To paraphrase an old quote – I don’t care what they say about the book as long as they talk about it. Like all authors, we want praise. In the case of Wild World, I was gratified how it was received and how it won a number of prizes: Independent Press Award for New Fiction; National Indie Award for New Adult Fiction and two Beverly Hills Book Awards. I had some critical reviews as well which I looked to for constructive direction if there was any in the review.

4. Let's discuss your book Wild World. Can you give us a synopsis?

Wild World begins with the killing of unarmed students at Kent State University. Steve Logan is a senior planning to go to law school. His girlfriend Roxy Fisher is an undergraduate. The events cause them to wonder about their future, the future of the country, and what they can do about it. They meet a charismatic police officer from New York who challenges Steve to get involved. Not wanting to leave Providence and Roxy, Steve becomes a police officer. Steve finds that making a difference is making him different. His relationships with Roxy and his friends change. He is an outsider to the police officers. And he discovers the corruption in the system. Motivated by idealism and love, he takes many chances that might make him a hero or get him killed.

5. The book centers around the Vietnam War. Why did you choose this period?

In the years 1970-71, the country was deeply divided. The opposition to the war in Vietnam caused huge demonstrations nationwide. President Nixon was either loved or hated. The Civil Rights movement was strong, Women’s Rights (women’s lib) was blossoming, radical groups (Weather Underground, Black Panthers) were active and the sexual revolution was underway. The two major characters – Steve and Roxy - are coming of age amid this turmoil. The social, political, and cultural upheaval are pivotal influences that color all the characters' perspectives of society and events.

6. The reviewer discusses the realism of the book's characters due to their flaws. How were you able to make them come to life? Are they based on people you know?

Real characters are not superheroes. They have flaws that often they do not recognize but become evident to the reader. Like many writers, I try to write what I know so my characters are based on people I have known or encountered. Some are composites; some I can amplify certain characteristics. The great thing about fiction is that you can do whatever you want with your characters as long as the reader finds it believable.

7. What character do you most identify with and why?

Steve is the prime protagonist of the novel. I told the story from his point of view so I identified with him throughout the novel.

8. The reviewer mentions that the book presents both sides of the debate equally. Why did you feel it was important not to take a side?

The era of 1970-71 saw a deeply divided country with passionate points of view. With such animosity, it is difficult to find the truth. It is often obscured by the noise and the rhetoric. It was very pronounced in those years – America – Love it or Leave it vs. Hell no, we won’t go. There is a great deal of ambivalence about what is the right course that Steve has to navigate being a police officer and coming home to an anti-establishment girlfriend. For the reader, I felt it was important for them to understand how difficult some of the decisions were.

9. What's next for you?

I finished a second novel Young Americans. It is a crime novel set in the mid-1970s about a young pot dealer to his college friends that gets in over his head with a slick con man. Set in Tampa, Atlanta, and Bogota Colombia, the novel follows the young man and his girlfriend as they catapult through the fast pace world with many dangers and challenges. I’m now working on a third novel that actually brings Steve and Roxy back together 10 years later when her husband is murdered by the Klan.

I like to end with fun questions.

10. What's your favorite vacation spot?

I’m a beach person – so anywhere along the shore is fine. I love the beaches of Florida – the west coast along the gulf from St. Pete to Dunedin and along the panhandle.

11. What's one thing on your "bucket list"?

To visit all seven continents. I’ve spent time on five of them. Australia is scheduled. Antarctica will be the challenge.

12. What's your favorite car?

A vintage Aston Martin. I always loved the look of the English sports car.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Adebayo Waliyullahi
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Adebayo Waliyullahi »

The author of the book mention the most important thing to do on Earth, and the your choice or orbit, he explained some important things about his career.
S_am1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by S_am1 »

The author is very good writer and with is writing he show people the good thing about life.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

It makes a whole of sense seeing that authors love other things outside the world of writing. Kudos to the author.
Taylor Hammerich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hammerich.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taylor Hammerich »

I love how the author doesn't care what others think about the book, just as long as they're talking about it! It should always be that way.
I also relate to him. I'm also a beach person and love the beaches in Florida
Ganiuibro150

Post by Ganiuibro150 »

The author is a very good writer these shows that he has a good career
Ganiuibro150

Post by Ganiuibro150 »

The author is a very good writer these shows that he has a good career
Osas

Post by Osas »

This is nice write-up
Aleeyjutt

Post by Aleeyjutt »

It's very nice words that use in this book
Aleeyjutt

Post by Aleeyjutt »

This book give me a more knowledge
Ubong Emmanuel
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Ubong Emmanuel »

I love the way the author express his emotion of love in book
Malika Reed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Malika Reed »

The author love the beach and so i do. Good read!
Olebile Isaac Molatlhegi
Currently Reading:

Post by Olebile Isaac Molatlhegi »

I love it
Good author
Last edited by Olebile Isaac Molatlhegi on 19 Jul 2022, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
LORDSHIP ALEX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lordship-alex.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by LORDSHIP ALEX »

I like how the author explains where he got the title of the book; not many writers discuss that. Wonderful book.
Izunwanne11__

Post by Izunwanne11__ »

I love this author

Return to “Author Interviews”