Official Interview: Barbara Cooper

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Barbara Cooper

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Barbara Cooper author of Harrowing Roses.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When did you first realize you wanted to write?

Actually, Harrowing Roses is what made me want to write.

I had a very realistic and haunting dream: strange landscapes filled with water, dark red roses which were closing in, smothering everything in darkness, an overwhelming feeling of dread. When I woke, I knew that I had to capture the experience!

2. Who was the biggest influence in your writing career?

My mother. She always wanted to be a writer, or at least for me to be one!

We share an ability to make up stories, to understand them deeply – but being able to write them down… That is something else altogether.

3. Let's discuss your book Harrowing Roses. Can you give us a short synopsis?

The main character, Dana, is visiting her estranged relatives in a mansion next to eerie wetlands. When her young cousin mysteriously vanishes, Dana turns to a neighbour who is said to be psychic to help look for her. But what will they find? Could her cousin be already dead?

A strange attraction develops between the two leads. Dana struggles to navigate a world she’d never really thought about. In her heart, suspicions grow. What if this is just all a lie made up by a man, who is practically a stranger to her, luring her deeper into danger?

Is she paranoid—or will she be fighting for her life?

4. Why did you decide to include illustrations in this thriller?

Many books used to have illustrations of the book by the author. I wanted to pay homage to this tradition. I also see the story very visually, so I believe this will help the readers imagine the place I am taking them to even better.

5. The reviewer praises the development of the characters. How did you make them evolve realistically throughout the story?

Not sure about realistically! I think we write and make up stories to add a little bit of drama to our everyday lives, to imagine what would happen if we would have the courage to try this, or just do that.

As for their evolution, I saw and felt the main characters as whole people, like someone I already knew right from the start, so that helped a lot. I had felt the flow of the story was put to life by the characters themselves, so it is true what they say! I was just holding the pen.

6. What was the hardest scene for you to write? Which was the most rewarding?

Definitely some scenes that include violence. I know that we read and watch stories like that all the time, but writing it down yourself – putting a pen to it – that feels very different! Deciding the fate of a character in such a manner.

In terms of rewarding, I loved describing the interior of this surreal mansion in the middle of the wilderness and wetlands. That was fun. Gave me the Twin Peaks vibes!

7. The book has no profane language or sexual situations. Why did you write it this way? Did you want the book to appeal to a wider audience?

I would say that is more the way I live my everyday life😊. In my mind, an intriguing and haunting story has no need to include impropriety or vulgarity. Though, I’m not sure it is entirely ‘safe for work’—many of the story’s twists do push boundaries!

Sometimes I feel like the decisions, even the immoral ones, were made by the characters themselves, not me. 😊

Harrowing Roses is a story about wanting, desire and need, finding another person who may or may not complete you–but the more technical details may be left to the experiences and imagination of the reader.

Also, as an added bonus, maybe thanks to that my niece can sit down now and read it, lend it to her friends as well, without me having to be (too) nervous about how their parents will object!

8. What are you working on now?

I just now am finishing a ghost story set in an Irish countryside hotel by the sea in the 90’s, which is fittingly titled A GHOST STORY. That is just how I see it.

I enjoyed writing it and putting it together. A GHOST STORY is based on my own experiences staying in such a manor house. It will be a bit different read than Harrowing Roses, but there’s still plenty of drama!

It’s being published on Halloween 2022, a suitable time to get spooked. A British painter is currently creating colourful illustrations to accompany the story.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What author has influenced you most?

I love the characters of Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley) and Vera Caspary (Laura), the classic almost noirish influences.

When it comes to current authors, I’m a big fan of Megan Abbott, what she can do with words is amazing - and I also love a good ghost story by the English writer Barbara Erskine.

10. What is your writing environment like?

I like to write in my villa in Spain, what I need is a good calm view with not many distractions! To let the creative juices flow. I really like looking into the garden.

11. What really makes you angry?

Impropriety? :)

12. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Chinese noodles.

Check out the author's website here: https://www.barbara-cooper.net/ and her YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/c/BarbaraCooper
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I'm not a fan of ghost stories but I thoroughly enjoyed this interview. At least I have learned that dreams could be a great source of materials for publication.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I'm not a fan of ghost stories but I thoroughly enjoyed this interview. At least I have learned that dreams could be a great source of materials for publication.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Wow wow... This interview is very interesting yet simple yet weighty. And to think a beautiful creative work like Harrowing roses can spring up from a dream is so beautiful.
Eleni Antonopoulou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

Great interview! I am definitely interested in Barbara Cooper's books after this one! And illustrations ina thriller? That is very exciting indeed!
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Return to “Author Interviews”