Official Interview: Christian Espinosa

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Christian Espinosa

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Christian Espinosa author of The Smartest Person in the Room. This is an upcoming book of the month, so get your copies now!

Official Review

Purchase Kindle Edition

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I’m an entrepreneur, real estate investor, speaker, and endurance athlete. When I’m not writing, I’m working on one of my companies, primarily my new cybersecurity company or my property management company. I also give a lot of keynote talks related to my book, The Smartest Person in the Room and cybersecurity seminars. I’m also always on the lookout for new real estate opportunities. For fun, I do Ironman triathlons, hike, and enjoy time in nature.

2. Why did you decide to write a book?

I wrote The Smartest Person in the Room because I feel emotional intelligence, people skills, and leadership skills are much needed in high-tech industries. The impetus to write the book was my journey with the cybersecurity company I built and sold, Alpine Security. Almost all the problems I had within my company were the result of a lack of people skills, not a lack of technical skills. I decided to fix this challenge in my company. The things that worked, I distilled into seven steps I call the Secure Methodology. I want to help remove the glass ceiling from highly technical, high-IQ people, by showing them a way to develop EQ skills to complement their already high IQ. I write about this in my book.

3. Let's move on to your book The Smartest Person in the Room. Where did the title come from?

The title came from people who desire significance from being smarter than others – from being the smartest person in the room. We all want to be significant, and in my industry and many others, people often get their significance from being “smarter” than others. Communication, collaboration, relationships, and effectiveness are diminished when you are always looking to prove how smart you are.

4. Who would you consider your target audience?

My target audience can be broken down into four groups – 1) leaders of technical staff, 2) high IQ people that wonder why they are being held back in life, 3) people interested in finding out why we are losing the cyberwar, 4) anyone interested in developing better people and life skills.

5. Though the book is targeted to those in the cyber industry, can the Secure Methodology help others? Victims of online scams or even cyberbullying, perhaps? How?

The book can help everyone – it is really a self-help, personal development book wrapped around my entrepreneurial journey in the cybersecurity industry. The Secure Methodology is designed to change how you think, feel, and act. The Secure Methodology is focused on people and life skills, using real-world examples from my experience. I do not offer technical cybersecurity advice – there are already plenty of great books out there that do that. I aimed to provide a life skills book with an infinite shelf life instead of a technical book with a finite one.

6. How much and what kind of research did you do for this book?

Most of the book is based on my journey. The “research” was all hands-on and tangible. I wrote about the things that worked in my company. I paid a lot of dumb tax and aim to help others avoid it. I read a lot and am very curious about human behavior – this comes through in my book, as I make many references to sources that helped me. I’m also very into personal growth and have taken many courses, so many topics, such as high-performance coaching, neurolinguistic programming, effective communication, etc., are incorporated into the book.

7. What did you learn while writing the book?

I think any great book should be transformative not just to those who read it, but also to the author. This book has transformed me and forced me to look deep within myself. To analyze why I do things the way I do, what’s holding me back, where my emotions come from, and if I’m being congruent with my message. This is my first book, so it has also been a very challenging experience. I was nervous about exposing my perspective to the world, including many personal stories and childhood incidents. The desire to help others outweighed my nervousness, though. So far, based on much feedback, I think the book has made a positive impact on many people’s lives.

8. What's next for you?

I’m working on my next book The In-Between: Life Happens in the Micro. This book is more of a memoir about where I feel I’ve got the small things right and where I’ve got them wrong. It’s about shifting with aligned intentionality to influence the small moments along the way to the macro, large moment. I often found myself in a “zombie state”, traveling from one goal (macro moment) to the next while ignoring or finding irritation with everything in between.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Do you enjoy getting feedback from your readers? What's the best thing you've heard? Anything you've just had to shake your head at?

Yes, I enjoy feedback – all feedback – positive and constructive. I take it all in. The best thing I’ve heard is how my book has changed someone’s life for the better. It’s super interesting to see the contrast in reviews. For instance, on audible.com, I had someone say “I highly enjoyed the sheer density of actionable information.” In the next review, someone said “the author gives useless fluff, over and over”. I realize I can’t please everyone and that some people are not my target audience. The literal 180 degrees of different perspectives I see on some reviews is quite perplexing.

10. What books do you enjoy reading?

I spend most of my time listening to books instead of reading books. I’m currently listening to The Power of One More by Ed Mylett.

11. What animal would you most want to be and why?

A condor. I write about “condor vision” in my book – the ability to look at your life zoomed out – from the perspective of a condor. I think it’s essential to zoom out of the moment periodically and assess where you are in the forest of life. Are you headed in the right direction, surrounded by the right people to enjoy the journey with, or headed for a cliff?

12. What do you listen to in the car? Radio, audiobook, podcast, CD?

I drive in silence 90% of the time. I enjoy the quiet and just hearing the sounds of the wind and tires on the road. This is a time I use to reflect, think, etc. I occasionally listen to audiobooks while driving or heavy metal music.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Interesting interview, but the last part seemed too childish, with the funny questions. Or maybe I am just too...old.
Skyler Grey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyler-grey.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Skyler Grey »

I read "The smartest person in the room" as my first review for OBC, and I can testify to it being fantastic. I'm a technical person and I have found myself falling into the trap of thinking I needed to be the smartest person in the room. The book showed me that although in the short-term I might get some recognition for that, it will hold me back in the long-term

I'm very happy to hear this is going to be BOTM, as that way hopefully it'll be able to gain more reach and help more people! Additionally, this was good & interesting interview
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I really like it when authors write based on their own experience, "trial and error" plays a very important role when transmitting knowledge.
Dayanand99914
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dayanand99914 »

In this he think about overthinking and his plus point
Maha boy45-+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maha boy45-+ »

Writing books.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

Seems like someone with a rather diverse personality. Very interesting to see how he navigates all of the different ventures in life. Fascinating interview!
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

The author appears to me as someone who can adapt easily to different situations. He's fascinating! The interview was awesome!
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Interesting interview, but the part that resonates with me the most is the issue of feedback. I mean, we need to make peace with the fact that we cannot help everyone, and that we will always have someone with a different opinion or understanding of life. I look forward to reading this book.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Although I’ve never written a book, but I do believe and agree that it has to be a transformational experience. The Smartest Person in the Room seems like an interesting self-help book which emphasises on effective communication and emotional intelligence. I agree with the author’s perspective on many things and feel that I would like this book. It’s on my read list.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

As someone soon to start working at a high-tech company, The Smartest Person in the Room sounds like a book that I should definitely read. I also like cybersecurity, so I'd be interested in reading the personal bits about the author's company.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

The smartest person in the room aims to help readers to horn in skills such as high-performance coaching, neurolinguistic programming, effective communication etc. It will help you make less investment mistakes.
Slimeball 555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slimeball-555.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Slimeball 555 »

Amazing interview. Can't wait to read the book.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

The smartest person in the room seems like a must-read for me. Such an awesome interview.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Interesting interview with the BOTM author, I love self-help books, I believe The Smartest Person in the Room will also meet my expectation with the knowledge I do acquire from them.

Return to “Author Interviews”