Official Interview: Shirley B. Novack

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Shirley B. Novack

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Shirley B. Novack author of The Story of...

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When did you decide to be an author?

As a child I was a voracious reader. I loved writing short stories. After my father died, I knew I had an unusual story to tell. It took many years, but the idea of writing this story haunted me for a long time, yet, once I began writing, it just took over and flowed.

2. What was your very first story like?

I can't remember my first story, but I was always conjuring something up in my brain. As a teenager, I wrote dramatic love stories. I never published, nor did I even try to publish, any of my stories. It's very freeing to make things up and put it to paper.

3. Can you give us a brief synopsis of The Story Of... for those that don't know?

The Story Of... is the story of the life of Jacob Kalinsky. He was born in Koretz, Poland in 1904 to a mean-tempered tyrant of a father, however, he had a sweet, loving and kind mother. Jacob's mother died when he was 12 y.o., leaving behind Jacob and his nine y.o. brother, Heschel. Jacob's father, Max, decides to sail to America with the promise to send for his boys when he had enough money. Jacob and his brother were sent to live in a brothel that was run by a loving Madam named Jordanna.

It takes Jacob's father three long years to send for his boys. During that time Jacob is raped by a Polish soldier and this experience molds his life. The shame of this event remains his secret, never to be shared with anyone, until, many years later, in America, fate brings the soldier back into Jacob's life.

4. As a historical fiction book, is any of this based on a true story? What's fact and what's fiction?

About 20% of the book is factual and the rest is fiction. I'm constantly being asked, "what is true and what is not?" Unfortunately, some of the hardest parts to write about were factual. I love that the reader has a difficult time trying to decipher this.

5. The reviewer mentions the addition of interesting historical events. How much research went into the story?

It was easy to research historical events during the beginning and turn of the century. So much went on in the world during that time that it was difficult to narrow it down to certain events that I could pull into the story.

6. The great character development is also mentioned. How did you make them so realistic?

I was able to make the characters realistic because many of them were real people. I actually had the good fortune of knowing some of them and the misfortune of knowing the others. The only names not changed were Jacob's father and stepmother. They were truly evil people and did not deserve to fall under the radar. Of course, many of the characters are fictional, but I derived them from real people that the real Jacob surrounded himself with.

7. What do you hope your readers learn from the book?

My hope is that readers will gain some knowledge as to the hardships many of the people endured in their journey to America. Some never made it off of Ellis Island. The saying, "Only in America" was true then and still rings true today.

8. What's next for you?

I've already begun my second book. It follows Jacob's family from 1984 on. I can only hope that the writing comes as easy to me as The Story Of... did. So far, I'm struggling a little. I've just picked up the writing after putting it down for several months. Some of the characters are really unsavory, however, the storyline is beginning to take shape in my head. Again, some is based on fact but most is not.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Share something about you that your readers would find interesting.

When I turned 40 years old, it was discovered that I was a synesthede. Not sure I can even spell it correctly. A synesthede is a person that has certain neurons crossed. In my case, when I see numbers, I also see colors and shapes. Example: Number 7 is green and sharp. Even numbers always appear soft to me. I thought it was normal until a t.v. show came on about synesthesis and my son remarked about how it was describing him. I came to find out that not everyone has this ability, or, perhaps, curse. We don't have it the same way, and many people experience it in totally different ways, however, always merging different senses together.

10. What three words would you use to describe yourself?

I would describe myself as curious, compassionate and loving.

11. How do you relax?

I find it relaxing to move at a frenetic pace. Laying down, taking a nap is not in my world. I hate empty hours. My husband says that I am living at least two lives at the same time. I have no idea what the word "bored" means.

12. Would you rather have constant nagging pain or a constant itch?

I would much rather not have a nagging pain or a constant itch, but if given the choice, I could tolerate a nagging pain much better than a constant itch.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

What an insightful background. This interview is truly inspiring and uplifting. There's so much to learn about the author's experience in her writing journey.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Wow... I must say I enjoyed reading this interview. The book seems very emotional to me, losing an amazing mum, having to endure a tyrant Dad, and then being raped 🥺🥺. I feel so sorry for Jacob.
I enjoy getting to know the author and the suspense he created with the 20% factual input into his book.

Return to “Author Interviews”