Official Interview: J.E. Hibpshman

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: J.E. Hibpshman

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features J.E. Hibpshman author of Slave to King.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What does writing mean to you?

Writing is an enjoyable way of exercising my creative side. I did not know how much I would enjoy it until I started writing my book.

2. Who has been most influential in your writing?

I'm dyslexic. When I was about 10 years old a teacher told me once to go sit at my desk while she helped the kids smart enough to learn to read. I decided at that moment I would someday write a book to prove her wrong. But life happened and I did not get around to it. Then one day I decided I needed to write a book or that teacher would have won. So, she lit the fuse.

3. Let's discuss your book Slave to King. Can you give us a short synopsis?

It's about a boy sold into slavery and trained to be a killer. He escapes that life but has to find his way in the world. He has to overcome his past and do something positive with his life. Some people live in violence and become great people while others become even more violent than their abusers. Ethan has to decide. Along the way, he meets the kingdom's princess and that is part of the story. I only have strong women in my stories. My goal was to show that even if bad things happen in your life what matters is what you do after they happen.

4. I've seen this classified as crime fiction, war fiction, and science fiction. How would you classify the book?

I would say more "life fiction." There is violence in the book as humans are violent. And some use violence for good and some for bad. Our police and military, for the most part, use force and at times violence for the good of the people. But I wanted this to flow along as I have seen people. No damsels in distress, no perfect hero, no superpowers, just a young man, and a young woman, trying to figure life out in a violent world.

5. According to the reviewer, the book's themes include leadership and survival skills. Are there lessons that can be learned from reading this?

This book is not a self-help book, but I would hope people can learn life lessons from how both Ethan and Abigail live their lives.

6. What was the easiest part for you to write? What was the hardest?

I do not consider myself a "writer." I consider myself a guy who wrote a book. So, I did not follow all the modern writing models. The easiest part was starting the story. It just flowed. The hardest part was the book kept taking on a life of its own and at times it felt like I was following and not leading in the writing process. I'm sure that sounds strange but that's how I felt.

7. Who is your ideal audience?

Anyone that believes in justice and who believes we all have a choice in the person we become. Even if bad things happen to you, and we have all had something happen, you must decide each day what kind of person you will be. If a person likes a book that is based on real life and not fake, I think they will like this book.

8. What's next for you? Is this part of a series?

I have written the second half of the book. I will send it to the editor soon. I also have another fiction book in draft and a fourth book started, but I'm having trouble with that story. I will work on that book more soon, I hope.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What writer has influenced your writing style?

I enjoyed Larry McMurtry and read many of his books and George R. R. Martin in the Game of Thrones. For real life, my favorite book is Endurance by Alfred Lansing about Shackleton's voyage.

10. What's one of your guilty pleasures?

I love eating a large breakfast even if I don't need to.

11. What's your favorite vacation spot?

Aruba. The wife and I went there and rented a place on the beach over Christmas a few years ago. Beautiful beaches, sun and warm ocean water. You can't beat it.

12. What one person, living or dead, would you want to have a meal with and why?

George Washington. He fought Native Americans, the French, and of course, the British. Most times he was outmanned and outgunned but he found ways to win even after many defeats. And after all that, when they offered him complete control and to become the "king" of America he refused and said no man should have that much power. My kind of hero.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I enjoyed reading the book's sample and review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.

Return to “Author Interviews”