Official Interview: Mark Unger

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mark Unger

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mark Unger author of First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough which will be book of the month in August.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

I own and run a family business with my two brothers in Connecticut. We manufacture commercial and retail window cleaning products – squeegees, buckets, scrapers, poles under the "Unger" name. You will see our products in Home Depot, Amazon and many commercial cleaning distributors throughout the world. My mother and father started the business in 1964 and we continue to produce high-quality cleaning tools that meet our homeowner and professional customers' needs. (www.ungerglobal.com)

In my free time, I love to play golf, snowmobile, work around the house and travel with my wife and family.

2. Who has been most influential in your life?

My father had the most influence on my direction in life. He built the family business from nothing to a worldwide leader in window cleaning equipment. His hard work, personal drive to succeed and iron will were always front and center as he raised us. He always had high expectations of me, and I was motivated to succeed just as he had. His stubborn and no-quit traits had a huge influence during the treatment of our son, Louis during his battle against cancer. Although he passed away in 1996 his presence drove me to never quit and push through boundaries to help save Louis.

Mel, my wife of 29 years, is forever the love and anchor in my life. She has guided me and our sons Harry and Louis through periods of joy, growth, challenges, and hardship. She supported my book ambitions and helped me craft the story although it brought up feelings we had all tried to suppress after treatments were over. Without her my book would still be floating around my brain today – rather than being in print.

3. Let's discuss your book First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough. This book is about your son and his journey with cancer. How difficult was it for you to write the book?

The simple answer is that it was one of the greatest challenges of my life. I am not a professional author and had no ambitions of being one. I had a burning desire to tell Louis's incredible story to keep a detailed record of what we went through to save his life. I wanted to write a quick-paced story that takes readers on a real-life roller coaster ride they won't forget. My goal is to engage and inspire the reader to understand the power of advocacy while never losing hope even if a diagnosis is very poor.

4. The book comes from journals you kept at the time, correct? Was there anything from your journal that didn't make it to the book?

When Louis was first diagnosed I found myself in an altered reality. Never had I experienced the medical world with this urgency and intensity. I was literally lost, without any points of reference to provide me with some footing. In order to understand what was happening to our 3 year old boy in those first few days and weeks, I started asking questions and taking notes. I continued taking notes and journaling my son's treatment path until he was declared free of his cancer – 7 years later. These notes helped my wife and I keep track of all the information, test results, treatment options, doctors' thoughts and online information. They also served as the foundation of my book. I would highly recommend that anyone who is faced with a serious medical situation – take notes – lots of them and ask lots of questions of the doctors and nurses.

5. How does Lou feel about the book?

Louis is very proud and appreciative of the book as it tells his remarkable story with a lot of insights and details that bring depth and color to our journey. He told me that the book helps him understand what he and our family went through as he was only 3 years old when he was diagnosed. He simply does not remember much of what happened and was never aware (we never told him) of his "zero chance of survival" diagnosis at the time.

Now that he reflects on what happened and knows the details of what our family went through, he is happy that others will benefit from the story. He also feels proud of his strength and determination to battle the "bad cells" and be the "first survivor". He hopes that readers will be engrossed as they read his story and leave them inspired and hopeful.

6. You founded the Carrot Seed Foundation. Can you tell us more about that?

My wife and I started the CSF to fund medical research and clinical trials for children stricken by the same cancer Louis had – Neuroblastoma. All proceeds from the sale of First Survivor go to the Carrot Seed Foundation. In addition, we receive donations and contribute our own funds to various charitable organizations that support children and families going through cancer treatment who are in need. Please visit our website for more information: www.carrotseedfoundation.org

7. This book is a memoir. Are there things that parents going through a similar situation can learn? What do you most want them to know?

During the first few weeks the shock and stress of a critical diagnosis makes it very hard to think clearly. The stress is enormous - my wife and I both lost 20 pounds in the first 2 months. The needs of your child or loved one will control your life 24/7. You are immersed in the world of hospital critical care and forced to get up to speed fast. You have no choice. Nurses are there to help your child and provide round-the-clock care. Lean on them to help you stay informed and teach you how to take care of your loved one. We formed close and lasting relationships with Louis's nurses over the years. They are truly empathetic and loving professionals.

Once the initial shock settles, begin to do research on the diagnosis and start to ask the doctors questions about the treatment plan, what their experience is with the disease, survival rates of the institution. Go online and learn about the diagnosed disease – there will be a lot of information. Search for Foundations that specialize in your child's or loved one's illness and call them. Many of them are run by families, like ours, that have 1st hand experience with the illness and are supporting ongoing medical research. You will find comfort in speaking to someone who has lived through it before. They are eager to help you and answer all the questions you have.

As you search, you will see hospitals advertising their experience with the specific disease you searched for. Bookmark these pages as you will want to study their capabilities, specialized doctors, treatment options and survival statistics as you progress with the treatment. Some hospitals will have a larger team of doctors who only treat the specialized disease you are looking for. These will most likely have more experience and resources than those that do not have this specialization. We had to change hospitals for our son's illness which helped to save his life.

Strongly advocate on behalf of your child or loved one to ensure they receive proper care. Don't be afraid to ask questions – even hard ones, like: How many children have you treated with this disease last year / What is your overall survival rate for these children? You only get information if you ask for it. Don't be satisfied if you don't get a straight answer – keep asking. Remember that endurance and resilience are needed as the treatment is underway. There will be a lot of up and downs during the long process of curing a critical illness. Our motto was "every day is a great day". Never give up hope.

I like to end with fun questions.

8. Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Dogs for sure – we have had dogs since my wife and I married 30 years ago.

9. What's your favorite vacation spot?

Our beach house on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean in Connecticut.

10. What's on or in your beside table?

I am currently reading Blind Man's Bluff a nonfiction book that tells the story of secret U.S. Navy submarine missions during the Cold War

11. How do you unwind?

I love to play golf as it takes my mind off everything else.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lydia Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-stephen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lydia Stephen »

Interviews with authors are always the best
Lydia Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-stephen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Lydia Stephen »

I haven't read this book yet but the interview was interesting, I have once stayed with someone in the hospital and trust me is not an easy task. I wonder what they both went through And thank you for the book is going to help alot of couples
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Wow! What a powerful story and a wonderful gift to the son. Thank you for sharing.
Nishita Baliga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishita-baliga.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Nishita Baliga »

Wow! Your story has a really interesting core idea that is supported by a writing style that hooks the reader in and depicts the scenes in a way that allows me to visualize everything in great detail. Thank you for sharing.
Diana Landin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-landin.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Diana Landin »

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! Going through something as challenging and exhausting as a diagnosis always affects families deeply, so it is very nice to find shared experiences in books like this.
oluwaseunskippo
Currently Reading: The Three Betty Goats Griff
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oluwaseunskippo »

Good story 👏
David Aboagye 1

Post by David Aboagye 1 »

Wow ! This is really interesting and a powerful story to read. Thank you for sharing.
Parvinrima

Post by Parvinrima »

Excellent, what a nice story it is.I think this book will inspire lot of people. I must say it's a powerful story,and the writing style is amazing.
junvernard1
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:

Post by junvernard1 »

The story is very uplifting to those famillies who have the same endeavor. This trully gave me reason not to complain on any presented challenges in front of me.
jalal laouad
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jalal laouad »

IT IS VERY GOOG
Olabosede Takeet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabosede-takeet.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Olabosede Takeet »

I have had experience of hospital stay and critical care with one of my family members and this resonates with me. I will really love to read the book. Thanks for writing. I pray your boy remains free of cancer for life.
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

Though I have not read the book I know it going to be a great memoir. I admire the author's endurance and resilience toward his son Louis. And most of all writing down his experience. I know there is never enough advocacy for the battle against cancer.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

This is a nice concept. Getting to know the author beyond the book. I'm glad the author was able to put their experience while taking care of their son to book to encourage and support parents in the same situation. Kudos!
Esraa Yunus

Post by Esraa Yunus »

The book is inspiring. While I was reading the author answers, I was overwhelmed by journey that they've been through!

Return to “Author Interviews”