Official Interview: Dr. Andrew Rynne

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Dr. Andrew Rynne

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Dr. Andrew Rynne author of The Reverend Psychopath.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

When not writing I garden under glass, play Irish music on the tin whistle, travel, and read.

2. Who has been most influential in your life?

The most influential people in my life were my parents, both full-time professional writers.

3. Let's discuss your book The Reverend Psychopath. For those that don't know, can you give a quick synopsis?

The Reverend Psychopath is my book about The Reverend Samuel Cotton 1830 - 1900. He founded an orphanage in the parish I live in in 1860. This, in reality, was no more than a front for collecting charitable donations from kind people unaware of what was really going on inside his orphanage. The Cottons spent these donations on themselves.

Cotton was a psychopath who cared nothing for the suffering and misery his behavior caused vulnerable little children. This is a true-life horror story. His superiors in the Church of Ireland, although they were fully aware of what was going on, chose to ignore it. Indeed, it was not until he was imprisoned for a second time and convicted of charges of cruelty to children that Cotton was eventually brought to heel.

This dreadful story is based on press cuttings of the day reporting on Cotton's many court appearances and on his own narcissistic ramblings to the press of the day. It is a terrible story, not easy at times to have to relate. And yet, if only for the children's sake, it needed to be told.

4. How did you find out about Reverend Samuel George Cotton and why did you decide to write about him?

As a child myself, growing up in this parish, I would have overheard dark whispers and rumors about Cotton and his hideous institution. It was seldom spoken about, but it was always in the air sort of speak.

5. What was the most shocking thing you learned while researching the book?

The most shocking thing that I discovered while researching this book was the sheer depths of depravity to which Cotton was prepared to sink for his own personal gain. Evil does not even begin to describe this. And all done without the slightest remorse nor insight into the damage and hurt his behavior was causing.

6. What was the most difficult part of the writing and publishing process?

The most difficult part of this writing project was trying to decide what to include and exclude from this story. Because he was a self-publicist, seldom out of court, archival press coverage of him is quite vast. The book could have been twice the length it ended up being only one has to remember their readers and avoid repetition.

7. Who do you see as your audience for the book?

The audience for this book is mature, educated adults interested in local history, child welfare, clerical abuse of children, real horror, and never-before-told story.

8. Do you have another book in the works?

I do have another book in the works. It is a novel based on the Irish Right to Die case in 1995. Think Karen Ann Quinlan USA 1985 and Tony Bland UK 1993 both trapped in persistent vegetative states through futile medical interventions. It explores the legal and moral dilemma of allowing a person to die and how this is not euthanasia.

Let's end on a couple of fun questions.

9. What do you like to read in your free time?

I read historical biography.

10. What makes you laugh?

I laugh at anything that is clever and funny.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Refilwe Mofokeng 3
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Refilwe Mofokeng 3 »

Rev Cotton was a psychopath and a selfish person who posed as a Rev to feed his greedy needs, in the process children suffered
Zimasa Gxumisa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zimasa Gxumisa »

Wow interesting book I love it,As I'm reading you give me the idea of your personality
Santosh Rauniyar

Post by Santosh Rauniyar »

I am interested
moomkhk fslgj

Post by moomkhk fslgj »

Nice book
Princess SeeBo
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-seebo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Princess SeeBo »

Interesting interview by Dr Andrew. I think it takes a certain amount of bravery to write about something that happened while you were a child and knew the world to not be a place where evil looms. This sounds like a perfect read.
sahityapaul
Currently Reading:

Post by sahityapaul »

The interview was interesting and heartbreaking too.. Imagine how the children's survived with a life long trauma.Want to know more about this.
Aastha Adhikari 1

Post by Aastha Adhikari 1 »

Wow I reallly love
Muhammad Muhammad 15

Post by Muhammad Muhammad 15 »

Nice book sir
davidwarner007

Post by davidwarner007 »

Great! Let's get started with the interview.

Dr. Andrew Rynne, can you please introduce yourself and tell us about your background and experience in the medical field?

Also, what inspired you to become a doctor and how has your journey been so far?
farham

Post by farham »

Thank you for sharing all this information about yourself and your book. It's fascinating to learn about your interests and writing process.

It's great to hear that you enjoy gardening, playing music, traveling, and reading outside of writing. It's essential to have hobbies and interests outside of work to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Your parents sound like significant influences in your life, given their profession as full-time professional writers. It's great to have role models in our lives who can guide and inspire us.

Your book, The Reverend Psychopath, sounds like a chilling but important read, shedding light on the dark history of child welfare and clerical abuse. It's inspiring to see writers tackling difficult and uncomfortable subjects to raise awareness and prompt change.

I'm intrigued by your next book in the works, which explores the legal and moral dilemma of the Irish Right to Die case in 1995. It's essential to have conversations about these challenging and sensitive topics to promote understanding and compassion.

Lastly, I'm glad to hear that you have a sense of humor and appreciate clever and funny things. Laughter is a great way to relieve stress and connect with others.
JC Michaelz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jc-michaelz.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by JC Michaelz »

In all, this is a wonderful piece of art. Thank you for sharing this story
Esrat Ela

Post by Esrat Ela »

The interview is interesting and provides insights into the author's life and work. The questions are well-thought-out and cover a range of topics related to the author's book and writing process. The author's responses are detailed and informative, providing readers with a better understanding of the book and its subject matter. The questions about the author's personal life and interests add a personal touch and make the interview more engaging. Overall, it's a well-done interview that offers readers valuable information about the author and their work.
Esrat Ela

Post by Esrat Ela »

The interview is interesting and provides insights into the author's life and work. The questions are well-thought-out and cover a range of topics related to the author's book and writing process. The author's responses are detailed and informative, providing readers with a better understanding of the book and its subject matter. The questions about the author's personal life and interests add a personal touch and make the interview more engaging. Overall, it's a well-done interview that offers readers valuable information about the author and their work.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

I'm interested in reading your book. It seems too dark for me right now. I pray that the children were rescued from their environment.

Return to “Author Interviews”