Official Interview: Linda Gould

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Linda Gould

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Linda Gould author of Handmaidens of Rock.

Official Review

Purchase Kindle edition
******************************************************************************************************************
1. What got you interested in writing?

I think writing was always my thing, even in my early school days. I looked forward to days when we were assigned writing tasks in class, although many of the other kids groaned.

2. What's the most difficult part of the writing and publishing process for you?

Getting the first draft down on paper (I use conventional paper and pencil for that) is the toughest part for me. Once I have something to edit, it’s much easier. The hardest part of publishing is incorporating other people’s opinions while getting the piece in decent shape. I’ve gotten a lot of tough criticism in the beta reading stages, but it’s been worth it.

3. Let's talk about your book Handmaidens of Rock. How would you describe this book for those that haven't heard of it?

It’s the story of three young women who attach themselves to a rock and roll band in the late 1960s. Rather than submit to being mere “groupies,” they gradually come into their own.

4. The book is set in the late 1960s. Why did you choose this time period?

I was in high school during that era. There was so much going on, musically, politically, and culturally.

5. The reviewer discusses the wonderful character development. How did you get such realistic characters?

I was inspired by the autobiographies of Cynthia Lennon and Pattie Boyd, who were married (and mistreated) by the most famous musicians on the planet. They didn’t settle for the abuse but decided to take control of their own stories.

6. There was a lot of travel in this story. How did you research all these locations?

I’m from the Washington DC area where the story originates. I had been to England twice, and Scotland once, when I wrote the book. I hadn’t been to California yet, but was longing to go there, and have done that since.

7. This was a controversial time period for many reasons. What did you want readers to learn about it?

Many factors made it an explosive time. It seemed that the inexplicable Vietnam War would drag on forever and destroy our generation. That was the main catalyst for rebellion, but there was also a growing awareness of social injustice and a determination to change things.

8. Is there another book in the works? What's next?

I actually backtracked when I submitted “Handmaidens” for BOTD. It was published in 2014. Since then, I’ve published Sycophants (2018) and Gilded Prisons (2021). The latter was BOTD a while back and attracted many comments. Right now I’m trying to write a space opera, just for fun. The plot is so ridiculous that I don’t know if it will ever be publishable.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your favorite quote?

From literature, it would be: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness …”

10. What's the worst book you've ever read?

I’m sorry to say I’ve read some self-published books that were truly awful. I wouldn’t want to embarrass the authors by mentioning their names. They came out early in the self-publishing era, before authors began to take it as seriously as it deserves. Now that the industry is more established, I feel the quality of the products has improved quite a bit.

11. What are you most afraid of?

Climate change and civil war. I never used to think the latter was possible in this country. The 1960s were plenty turbulent, but I’ve never seen the degree of polarization we’re witnessing today.

12. What was your first job?

My first full-time job was at the quasi-government Council for Exchange of Scholars in DC, which runs the Fulbright grant program. My struggles as a secretary there inspired my first novel, Secretarial Wars (2003).
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Powerhouse Radio: Rough Roads, Radiance, and Rebirth by Kingsley H. Smith

Post by Marina Flisvou »

This interview provides insightful details about the author's writing journey, the challenges of the writing and publishing process, and the inspiration behind their book "Handmaidens of Rock." Ending with fun questions gives readers a glimpse of the author's personality. Overall, a well-rounded interview that provides valuable information and personal insights.
Marina
WISDOM SAMSON 1
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wisdom-samson-1.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by WISDOM SAMSON 1 »

If it were not for this interview I wouldn't have known that prodigious author, Linda Gould, thank you interviewer as well as the interviewee.

Return to “Author Interviews”