Official Interview: Mark Graves

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Mark Graves

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Mark Graves author of Children of the Eighth Day.

Purchase Kindle edition (Free on Kindle Unlimited)

Read the Official Review

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. How did you get started writing?

I have been interested in writing for as long as I can remember and started my first attempt at a novel back in 1987. However, the demands of career and family put my writing ambitions on hold for three decades. At the start of the pandemic, I, like many people, found myself with an abundance of time on my hands. I decided to use the opportunity to explore my creative side.

2. Who's been the biggest influence in your life?

I've been blessed with many great role models in my life, from whom I have learned many great life lessons, but the biggest influence was my father. He was a doctor in his professional life, but outside of work, he was a talented chef, historian, and author. I learned from him the value of hard work, moral integrity, and a sense of humor, but most importantly I learned to love new challenges and opportunities to grow.

3. Let's discuss your book Children of the Eighth Day. Can you give us a short synopsis?

On the surface, Children of the Eighth Day is a suspense thriller, pitting the main character, Alexander, against the leader of a vicious group of vampires intent on making all humans their slaves. A teenage boy, John Jones, accidentally becomes entangled in this battle, complicating the action and forcing Alexander to remember his past. On another level, it is a story of good versus evil, and whether certain people are inherently evil by their nature.

4. The book includes vampires. Are these typical vampires? How did you set them apart?

The vampires in my book are not prototypical vampires. They have many similarities with the vampires of myth, but the only area where they fully match the myth is that they drink blood. As I planned the book, one question I asked myself was, if vampires really did exist, what science would explain it. This led me to the concept that vampirism is caused by a genetic mutation that is activated by the bite of a vampire. My vampires are not immortal but can live for hundreds of years, which makes them appear immortal to most people. They are not impossible to kill with guns and knives but possess extraordinary healing powers, which gives the impression they cannot be killed. Sunlight does not kill them, but they are increasingly sensitive to the sun as they age.

5. Which character is your favorite?

My favorite character to write in this book was John Jones. I set the book in 1978 when I was approximately the same age as his character so was able to tap into my memories of my teenage years.

6. The reviewer mentions that one of the characters, Alexander, is likeable. How did you make such a typically evil person likeable?

I think Alexander's likeability comes from the decision to choose to be good and not give into the basest impulses that being a vampire causes. Alexander struggles with his nature but in the end, he decides he can be a source of good, protecting mortals from other vampires who have lost their humanity.

7. What was the most difficult part about writing the book? What was the most fun?

The most challenging part of the book was making sure the minor characters were developed enough to be interesting. Even the characters who only appear on a couple of pages needed full back stories to make them believable. The most fun past was researching the history and scientific details. All of the history in the book is as accurate as I could make it, from the manor house Alexander grew up in, to the formula for nitroglycerin, which was actually discovered the year before Alexander makes his batch.

8. It looks like this is the first in a series. Can you give us a sneak peek into the next one?

In book two, Alexander learns that one of the vampires has escaped the final battle with his nemesis, the Graf, and is uniting vampires around the world to carry out the Graf's plan. Action in book two takes place in France, Egypt and Japan.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What is your one must-have in order to write? A favorite pen? Music?

I almost always have music playing when I write. It helps me block out other distractions.

10. What's your favorite food?

I love to cook and love all types of food. My favorite for eating at home is Mexican and Thai food when I eat out.

11. Other than your own, what's your favorite vampire story?

I am a big Anne Rice fan with The Vampire Lestat probably being my favorite.

12. Are you a morning person or a night owl?

Definitely a night owl
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”