Official Interview: 'Diesel' Dave Galloway

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: 'Diesel' Dave Galloway

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features 'Diesel' Dave Galloway author of Chasing Seyboro.

View the Official Review

View Kindle edition (Free on Kindle Unlimited)

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm retired from the U.S. Air Force and the State of North Carolina. Still work a couple of small part-time jobs. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for more than 50 years. We've raised 3 children and are the proud grandparents of 7. I'm proud of my life experiences and feel that I've learned a lot from my successes and failures.

2. Who or what has been the biggest influence in your life?

My parents (but not in the normal way!) I was raised in a dysfunctional family. Both parents were alcoholics and my mother was also addicted to drugs. There were 4 children. I have no memories of hugs, kisses, smiles, and happy times. I've no doubt my folks loved us kids; they just never showed it. As I grew up and matured, I began to make promises to myself. I would make every effort to be the best father in the world. To this day I enjoy a very close, loving relationship with my wife, children, and grandchildren.

3. Let's discuss your book Chasing Seyboro. It's about a head-on collision you had while cycling. What made you decide to write about the experience?

Following my recovery, I'd had a lot of churches who'd been praying for me. They asked me to come speak to them about my experience. I've always enjoyed public speaking, and it just seemed to be a natural transition to put my story into a book.

4. What was the most difficult part of writing? What was the most rewarding?

The most difficult part of writing my story was having to re-live many of the bad times I encountered. I had to count on family to recount the first 30 days, as I was in a coma. The pain was terrible so much of the time. But all the bad things were easily neutralized by the love and attention that was brought to me by my family and friends. And my faith in God was such a boost to me. After the worst part of things, I began to realize that God had kept me alive for a reason. And now, 16 years later, I know what that reason was. He wanted me to spread his good word, and be around to encourage others who might be going through difficult times.

5. The reviewer mentions that there's humor throughout the book. Was this an important part of your recovery process?

I've almost always been a happy guy, and I try to find the humor in any situation, good or bad. I hope that injecting humor into my book will help others who may be reading my book and looking for inspiration.

6. What do you want readers to learn from your book?

We can overcome tremendous obstacles in life if we believe in ourselves and trust in our Lord. I spent a lot of time lying in my bed, immobilized, thinking, "What's gonna happen with me?" But then I would remember some of the remarkable things I'd done on a bicycle. I've pedaled up some of the highest mountains in the country. Finished 4 double centuries (200 miles in one day) on the bike. And I would say to myself, "Dave, if you rode up Mount Mitchell 7 times, Grandfather Mountain 6 times, you can certainly get over this accident." I just decided to never give up on myself. And if I could do that, I believe anybody could. You just need to have faith and determination.

7. What's next for you? Any more books?

I think so. I've had 3 published so far, all dealing in one way or another with bicycling. But I'm thinking of writing something to do with the current state of political affairs in this great country of ours. Americans are a rare breed, and we should be able to pull together, despite our political differences. I have some thoughts on this topic and may try to put them together.

I like to end with fun questions.

8. What do you like to read in your free time?

Mostly detective, lawyer, and police thrillers.

9. What is your biggest fear?

The loss of a child or grandchild.

10. Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Sure. With mustard and relish, can't be beat!

11. What was your favorite age?

I'm proud to be 71 years old and still in relatively good shape. My favorite age is the age I'm at right now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”