Official Interview: Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Jayme A. Oliveira Filho, one of the authors of Singularity.

Read the review

View Kindle edition

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What author or authors have influenced your style?

I don't have a preferred author, but I do love the work done by Stanley Kubrick and Christopher Nolan. As sci-fi novelists, they excel in telling stories that are believable, and based on scientific fact.

2. What is your schedule like when you're writing?

Well, I am not a professional writer. I am a dentist by trade. I do love science and sci-fi. It took us 5 years to finish this book. It was a labor of love because English is not my native language, but I tried as best as I could to be understandable to the readers. I did request help from American editors, but apparently some errors still persisted. I hope the readers understand that the main point of the book is the message that it conveys. Earth is our only home and we should cherish it.

3. Let's talk about your book Singularity. Can you give us a brief synopsis for those that don't know?

Sure, I believe I already touched upon my answer above. As I said, my son and I love science and we firmly believe that planet Earth is worth saving. It's in our power to do it. But time is running out. We are already suffering the consequences of climate change and global warming right now. These natural disasters will just intensify if we stay idle. And that's something I cannot do. We also are people of faith. We are devout Catholics. Throughout the book we try to combine science and faith. We believe that those subjects do not contradict each other, on the contrary, they complement one another. Through faith and ingenuity, we believe that mankind can protect Earth and save itself from extinction.

4. This is by two authors. How did you split up the duties?

It was more an organic writing. We are not professional writers. My son is just 14. We share a passion and love for science and astronomy. We had these ideas and decided to put them in writing. We discussed a lot, but most of the writing was done by me.

5. What inspired the idea for the book?

I love the movie INTERSTELLAR. In my opinion, it is the best sci-fi movie ever made. One day I had a dream and it was as clear as day. The whole concept of Singularity was based on that dream from the first to the last chapter. I woke up the next morning and wrote down the title of the 12 chapters that the book would have. Then the hard work started and the conversations with my son started. He was 9 at that point. I imagined the book as a movie, and we got a movie script out of it. The script is really good. We just hope a production company takes it and makes a movie out of it. I would love to have Christopher Nolan being the director of it. It would be fantastic. There are a lot of my personal experiences and INTERSTELLAR ideas intertwined inside the book. The reader will realize that.

6. A central theme of the book is the conservation of the Earth. Why do you believe that was important to write about?

If we don't preserve the Earth, we are killing ourselves. It is this simple. Earth is the only home mankind has. Earth can survive without us, but that isn't the case the other way around. I like to make an analogy to a house. You have a big house and you start to put a lot of people in it. Trash starts accumulating everywhere, even inside the water tank. It reaches a point where the HVAC system does not work anymore; there is no more food, no more water to drink, nothing. You have to move to another place, but guess what? There is no other house to move to. You are stuck in it. You better take good care of the house you have or there is no future for you.

7. What part of the book was your favorite to write?

The personal relationships of the Silva family. How they support and understand one another. I believe that's missing in today's world. The family unit is broken in so many ways and that's really sad. If you want to fix the world, you need to start inside your house.

8. What's next for you?

We would like to write a second volume for the story, telling the adventures of the survivors in Canaan.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What superpower do you most want to have and why?

Knowledge, so I could express myself in a way that people would believe in the truth being spoken and that would help them to change their minds for the good of mankind.

10. What chore do you hate the most?

Cleaning the house. How ironic that is.

11. What one period in history would you want to go back to study?

WWII. How humanity got so insane that they were able to kill each other in so many ways and so fast.

12. What's your favorite holiday and why?

I love Christmas. It is such a period of hope and good spirit. I wish we could carry that goodwill spirit throughout the whole year.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I would like to finish with this quote:

Doing what is right is always the right thing to do. When you fight for a cause that is bigger than yourself, you give purpose for your life.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Legacy: Wisdom of African Traditions and the Bible by Chris Morehouse

Post by Marina Flisvou »

His passion for science, conservation, and family shines through in his responses. Best of luck with his book "Singularity" and all future writing endeavours. And thank you for leaving us with that meaningful quote.
Marina
WISDOM SAMSON 1
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wisdom-samson-1.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by WISDOM SAMSON 1 »

When it comes to sci-fi movies and books I'm not left out. Thank you Jayme A Oliveira for such an insightful book.
WISDOM SAMSON 1
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wisdom-samson-1.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by WISDOM SAMSON 1 »

I look forward to reading you book sir!

Return to “Author Interviews”