Official Interview: Malvina Lerma

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Malvina Lerma

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Malvina Lerma author of Derrick of Death.

View the official review

View Kindle edition (Free on Kindle Unlimited)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Tell us about your first writing experience.

As I neared retirement, I tried to think of a career that I could do anywhere in the world, as I travel, and visit grandkids. I have loved murder mysteries since high school and thought it would be fun to try my hand at it. I started my first murder mystery while drilling wells in Kern County, stuck at the base of the grapevine (a mountain pass between Kern County and my home in Ventura County), due to snow, and decided to start my first story there. It took me 6 months to write, but I edited it for 16 years! I had a lot to learn about the writing process.

2. Let's discuss your book Derrick of Death. Can you give us a short synopsis?

This book, as well as all others I write in this series, is centered around a woman (Charlie) who drills oil wells for a living. She lives paycheck to paycheck, with her income depending on someone to hire her to drill a well. It's a man's world, and most of the drilling managers looking for a well-site supervisor are used to hiring men. Charlie has an uphill battle getting hired for each job, so she works hard to build and maintain her reputation as an expert driller in the industry. As she drills, dead bodies pop up and interfere with her work. In this book, she teams up with her client to solve the mystery so they can finish the well.

3. How did you decide on a mystery?

This is my favorite genre to read, so it was a natural selection for my writing. I like "Cozy" murders, not a lot of sex, profanity, or graphic scenes. Kind of like watching "Murder She Wrote", "Remington Steel", or Moonlighting TV series.

4. The reviewer mentions red herrings as to the identity of the killer. Is it possible to guess who it is before the end?

When I first wrote the book, EVERYONE who read it guessed who the killer was! I worked hard to change the villain into someone less obvious. That is always the trick to mystery writing. You need to provide enough clues for the reader to believe the villain did it, but not so many that the villain is obvious.

5. Why did you choose a female lead, especially on an oil rig? For that matter, why an oil rig?

I had a job as a well-site supervisor when I first started work in the oil industry. There were only two other women (out of about 50 drillers) working with me at the time. When I read books about law (John Grisham) and being a caterer (Diane Mott Davidson), I thought, why not write about what I know, the oil industry? I have a BS and MS in petroleum engineering, and much of my 40 years were spent in an office. But in my first 2 years (when I was 22-23), I worked on drilling locations as a wellsite supervisor for Chevron. This was by far the most interesting place for my stories. By choosing to write about something I know, I don't have to do much research!

6. The reviewer praises the way you introduced the reader to the technical aspects of oil rigs. How did you make it informative without being overwhelming or boring?

The first versions of my book WERE very overwhelming and boring! I joined a writer's club where we read each chapter of our book out loud to each other. This was super helpful. My fellow writers told me they felt like they were listening to a lecture on the oil industry! (I did teach drilling engineering at the University of California for 7 years, and many other classes for the oil industry during my career). They suggested I add a character in the story that knows nothing about the technical aspects of the business and have Charlie explain things to him in a more natural way. That's how George was born to help the reader understand the technical aspects without getting bored. He may have to be in every book....

7. What was the hardest part of writing and publishing for you? What was the easiest?

The easiest was writing the story. The hardest was editing. I know a gal who facilitated classes I taught for her company. She told me (YEARS ago), that she loved books and reading (I think she was married in a bookstore!) and that she wanted to be an editor. I worked with her for years, so she knows a lot about drilling from hearing my class over and over again. Once my first book was ready, I sent it to her for editing. She did a FABULOUS job! She has also edited my second book, Kick of Death.

8. What's next for you? Are you working on any books presently?

I finished Kick of Death this month and was ready to publish it when I found out about a contest by Minotaur Books for best first mystery novel. Although Kick of Death is my second book, it still qualifies for the contest because Derrick of Death was self-published. Unfortunately, to qualify for the contest, I can't publish Kick of Death until the contest is over in April. If I don't win, I'm hoping they let me know before April so I can publish it sooner. I'm sure this is a very competitive contest, so even though there's a high probability I won't win, I am hoping for feedback from more readers. I love hearing what readers say about my books so I can continue writing better and better stories. I really loved all the feedback from the Book of the Day promotion we did together. It was fabulous! Most readers seem to like learning about the oil industry (an industry I have grown to love). I am actually working on my third book, Breath of Death. Charlie will be going to Santa Maria, CA to drill this well.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Besides yours, what mystery is your favorite?

Agatha Christie tops the list. Her twists are amazing. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple are my favorite sleuths. I also love Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovitch, M.C. Beaton, Diane Mott Davidson, Mary Daheim, Robert Parker, and Carolyn Hart. My library includes almost complete collections of these authors. I also love the Murder She Wrote books. (I love the TV series too). They have Jessica Flectcher's name on them, but they are actually written by Donald Bain. I told everyone that Jessica was a real person. Just goes to show how important it is to fact-check!

10. Who do you most want to read your book that hasn't?

I think a lot of folks who don't like the oil industry may not read them. That's ok. I don't want my books to have a political bent to them. But I hope folks realize the many advantages oil brings to our world, and the dangerous work folks do to produce that oil. I agree that lowering our carbon footprint is a good idea, but I don't want to give up my car, my electricity (that's powered by natural gas plants), my nylon, polyester, and rubber products, and every other wonderful item that is only possible by the people who drill oil wells. I also hope folks from Bakersfield read my book. I plan to do more advertising in Bakersfield. It isn't really a tourist destination, but it is known for its country music. (Buck Owens opened a restaurant called Crystal Palace that's fabulous.) I hope oil industry folks will read my books and enjoy them. I hope they give them as gifts to their friends and family so they can learn more about the industry. And I hope folks will visit Bakersfield to find out more about where Charlie lives.

11. What animal would you most want to converse with and why?

Dogs. I think they would have a lot to say and I think they are smart. Probably smarter than us.

12. What's your favorite drink?

Sparking Water and White Wine.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cheshta Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshta-sharma.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cheshta Sharma »

I enjoyed learning more about this author. They seem to have a deep passion for the books they write.
Dammyc Maiyo
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Dammyc Maiyo »

Definitely on my want to read list, I love murder mysteries with less oblivious murderers. But adding a character for the sake of explaining how an oil industry and digging wells works is kind of cliche and will make the book boring. It would not really come out natural.

Return to “Author Interviews”