Official Interview: Terrence King

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Terrence King

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Terrence King author of Critical Habitat.

View official OnlineBookClub.org review

View Kindle edition on Amazon

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What's your favorite thing about writing?

Most writers write because they have to, not because they want to, and I subscribe to this. It's often better and cheaper than therapy, though not at first. (Especially with co-pays.) The craft is not an easy one, probably most relatable to golf, but more solitary. But when your work is out there and it impacts people in some way, this to me is success. And I'm grateful for it.

2. In your opinion, what makes a great book?

Meaningfulness, and that the reader can surmise that the author achieved their intention. Some readers look for work that validates their specific worldview, others look for work that differs. Art, even commercial art, I think is most rewarding when it provides unexpected meaningfulness and color.

3. Let's discuss your book Critical Habitat. Can you give us a short synopsis?

As a devastated world recovers from war and plight, an unlikely heroine emerges and attempts to rescue distressed rebels from the government's corruption controlling the rationed food supply and from a rogue general trying to steal the only known honeybees on Earth. And the planet fights back as evil forces converge. The honeybees provide light to the world, and that is dramatized in a fun action-adventure epic.

4. The reviewer discusses your skillful world-building. How did you go about making this dystopian world?

There is a lot of dystopian sci-fi out there, much of it bleak and similar. There are fantastic stand-outs, though, in books, film, and TV . . . and they inspired me to take it in a different direction. I considered the motivations behind characters in world-building to create something new. Governments lie, just look around, so that in itself is also a constant inspiration.

5. The reviewer also mentions your relatable characters, two of whom are children. Was it difficult to write such young characters?

Easier than you think! Perhaps it's because of having younger sisters who I relate well to, or having children in the house, or the number of adults who I see who act like children.

6. Which character do you most relate to and why?

Each of them get equal parts of me, with no character being more auto-biographical than the next. For this reason, it's enjoyable to write.

7. Is there a message that you wanted to convey with your story?

Love corrects a path of self-annihilation. At its very root, Critical Habitat is a love story.

8. What's next? Any more books in the works?

Books 2 and 3! Book 2 is currently in its 6th draft and Book 3 is in development. I hope to have Book 2 out within 18 months.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your spirit animal?

I don't know what that is exactly . . . an animal that protects, somewhat mythical? I suppose it would be Willow, my Bernedoodle. She has been there for me like no other.

10. What's your definition of dystopian?

A world trying to survive in its humankind-facilitated environmental demise. Sad, truly. But humankind is destructive, unfortunately, even as it builds, creates, and improves. But Critical Habitat is my answer to this, providing hope.

11. Which actor would you want to play you in a movie of your life?

Please, never anyone.

12. Tell us about one odd quirk of yours.

When writing, I will go backward before I can go forward. Time and again I try to just plow forward but I can't help reviewing my prior session's work. It's frustrating, really. And I keep going back again and again to Critical Habitat and now its follow-ups with improvements, perhaps like George Lucas. Ideas and discovery through writing are constant. For this too I am grateful.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”